ZOTAC ZBOX MAGNUS One i7-10700 RTX 3070 Mini PC

Aaron_T
16 hours ago, Logan_x50 said:

Had a bit of a play. There was no option to disable turbo boost in power management so I need to Google that. However, setting max cpu to 99% meant turbo does not kick in because I think it must only kick in at 100%. It definitely made a huge difference to fan noise.

However, after re-booting the pc the max power was back to 100% and whoosh! I need to check out how to create custom power plan I think

Can you explain why changing minimum from default 5% is a good idea?

GPU fan noise still seems pretty harsh on starting a game.

Any advice on GPU Settings in e.g. FireStorm?

image.png.1dee0bece2c3affe77fa3de4a17b1cf3.png

So i have it between 50 and 100%. i dont use 5% because i assume that it could maybe cause minor lagging in games, even if it is not very probable.

I disabled the boost mode (last option).

Thank you for the screenshoot. The CPU fan noise is now manageable and so far my son hasn't complained about performance. In fact he' switched his complaints to the GPU fan noise!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2021 at 9:36 AM, Vince Tran said:

Replaced the stock heatsink with Thermalright AXP90-X36 black and it fits perfectly to my Magnus One, it's really quiet and I absolutely like it.

However, with this quiet fan, I start hearing the loud coil whine sound in PSU when I go to a heavy game. It's exactly the sound from PSU because the sound stops immediately when pressing "Start" key to get out of the game + GPU does not eat too much power. So, when it was with stock fan, the louder noise comes from the fan and I was not aware of the coil whine noise. Somebody said this was the vibration hitting the bottom case and they can get rid of that sound by touching the PSU cables beneath the GPU and luckily they resolved the issue. But it did not work for me. I tried to open the bottom case in order to check the cables but looks like it's not easy. Appreciate if anybody has tried it and can show me how to open it.

magnus-one-thermalright-heatsink.jpeg

Hello i have a question about the cooler. Did you have to take out the motherboard to install it ?

On 11/5/2021 at 4:31 AM, highercomve said:

I added the noctua NHL9-i to my Magus One. And started to hear some coil noise because it does not use any back-plate and I guess it was bending a little bit the motherboard.

One day wanted to start anymore and I returned to use the build in one but i didn't remembered how much noise that one does!. Was driving me crazy.

Then I bought the thermalright axp90-36 that worked perfectly because you can use the original back-plate or the one in the box.

Now i have similar performance to the NHL9-I same noise level and without the coil noise.

IMG_20211104_213845.jpg

Desktop Screenshot 2021.11.04 - 23.48.42.80.png

Desktop Screenshot 2021.11.05 - 00.02.22.22.png

Desktop Screenshot 2021.11.05 - 00.02.29.07.png

photo_2021-11-05_12-57-34 (3).jpg

photo_2021-11-05_12-57-34 (2).jpg

photo_2021-11-05_12-57-34.jpg

Do you have to take out the motherboard to install it ?

On 12/28/2021 at 7:28 PM, DJ16 said:

I just replaced the stock cooler with the thermalright AXP90-X36. That combo is great, supersilent for office work. Games run superfine at 2K, temps are around 56C CPU and 78°C GPU. I limited the CPU frequency to 2800Mhz max.

Did you have to take out the motherboard?

@hamza1330

For AXP90-X36, no need to remove motherboard, just the graphic card to access screws from behind.

I'll try to update the thread with pics and info this week

On 2/6/2022 at 8:45 PM, JBED said:

@hamza1330

For AXP90-X36, no need to remove motherboard, just the graphic card to access screws from behind.

Wow that is actually very nice, i wish i knew earlier because i was afraid i would have to take out the motherboard so i canceled it from my order.

I will definitely get it in the future but if you can update the thread with the pics that would be nice.

On 2/6/2022 at 8:45 PM, JBED said:

@hamza1330

And i was also wondering if any of you experienced coil whine from the psu and how did you get rid of it. Because i saw a person in japan that took the magnus one apart and discovered that the coil whine was caused by the shaking of the ferrite core(sleeve) that was on one of the psu cables.

Hi,

Did you guys have a look at this ?

The Noctua NA-FD1 fan duct was new to me.

16 hours ago, Cutlass_sxb said:

Hi,

Did you guys have a look at this ?

The Noctua NA-FD1 fan duct was new to me.

yeah I think I will try that with the axp90-x36 when I buy it.

I recently bought this system, and to say, it's a tiny beast, given all the constraints like stock cooler and no XMP support / 11th gen CPU support. I've done the Noctua NH9i Chromax upgrade to this system already and it super quiet now, compared to jet engine it was out of the box.

My question is for next upgrade - RAM : Does this system support 1.35v RAM Sticks, specifically these - https://www.primeabgb.com/online-price-reviews-india/crucial-ballistix-3200-mhz-kit-32gb-16gbx2-cl16-ddr4-dram-laptop-gaming-memory-bl2k16g32c16s4b/ or will they downgrade to 2666 MHz at 1.2v ? I am looking for these sticks specifically due to price they are available at in India, and if the motherboard does support this RAM at 2933 MHz at 1.2v / 1.35z (JEDEC Profile), this will be an amazing deal to go forward with.

I spent early Sunday working on teh Zotac to try and install AXP90-X36. This was my first attempt to dismantle a PC for a while and here's my findings:-

1) this is not a "beginner" exercise in my view. Its one thing working with a large case but quite another working with a small form factor pc that I don't think is designed for upgrades of this nature

2) you need to take the graphics card out which is a pain as there's very little room to work with and a total nightmare to put back. there are four cables and its an extremely fiddly tight fit. probably would be easier if I'd snipped the top cable tie but I didn't have a replacement to hand. make a note of the orientation/order of the cables or you will regret it big time!

3) the stock fan comes out easily enough but then I got stuck trying to fit the AXP90 since the holes in the mother board are threaded and its impossible to get the screws to fit while attached to the cooler and if you remove the screws to place into the motherboard there is then no way to attached the screws to the cooler as the aren't accessible. I suspect I was missing something very obvious and simple but having tried multiple times and got the screws wedged in the holes multiple times I gave it all up and re-asembled and prayed to god I hadn't broken anything which I hadn't (by some miracle)

I've decided to give up on the Magnus and will purchase a tower pc that will be custom built with noise level in mind!

I'm going to replace the stock CPU fan with an AXP90-36. Do you need to remove the GPU? Is it really a pain to change it?

On 3/1/2022 at 3:45 PM, Acv91 said:

I'm going to replace the stock CPU fan with an AXP90-36. Do you need to remove the GPU? Is it really a pain to change it?

You need to take out the motherboard to replace the backplate, it might be the hardest part, there are some screws under the warranty sticker. GPU is easy to remove, just need to take out only one screw!

Update my issue with coil whine noise: I add some foam rubber at the bottom and tighten the screw of CPU heatsink backplate to make sure there is no vibration, then the noise had gone away. Super satisfied with the sound at normal working as well as playing games (just hear the fan noise of GPU and CPU at all, not too much).

On 3/5/2022 at 7:21 PM, Vince Tran said:

You need to take out the motherboard to replace the backplate, it might be the hardest part, there are some screws under the warranty sticker. GPU is easy to remove, just need to take out only one screw!

Update my issue with coil whine noise: I add some foam rubber at the bottom and tighten the screw of CPU heatsink backplate to make sure there is no vibration, then the noise had gone away. Super satisfied with the sound at normal working as well as playing games (just hear the fan noise of GPU and CPU at all, not too much).

really because @JBED said you can install it by removing the gpu only and second of all how did you get rid of the coil whine ? did you place the foam rubber in the psu area or where exactly ?

10 hours ago, hamza1330 said:

really because @JBED said you can install it by removing the gpu only and second of all how did you get rid of the coil whine ? did you place the foam rubber in the psu area or where exactly ?

When installing the AXP90-36, I don't think the screw can fit in the stock blackplate so I used the AXP backplate and removed the motherboard. Btw, removing the motherboard can install the heatsink easier. But you can retry not to remove motherboard, I am not sure though.

W.r.t coil whine, there is small hole at GPU side that you can touch the psu cables and wiggle a bit, put some foams beneath those cables and wiggle until you cannot hear any coil sound. Otherwise, you might need to take out PSU and check, I did not succeed to remove it and gave up ....

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2022 at 7:32 AM, Vince Tran said:

When installing the AXP90-36, I don't think the screw can fit in the stock blackplate so I used the AXP backplate and removed the motherboard. Btw, removing the motherboard can install the heatsink easier. But you can retry not to remove motherboard, I am not sure though.

W.r.t coil whine, there is small hole at GPU side that you can touch the psu cables and wiggle a bit, put some foams beneath those cables and wiggle until you cannot hear any coil sound. Otherwise, you might need to take out PSU and check, I did not succeed to remove it and gave up ....

alright thanks alot I think that might fix the coil whine because it's caused from that area I will try it and update.

On 11/5/2021 at 1:31 AM, highercomve said:

I added the noctua NHL9-i to my Magus One. And started to hear some coil noise because it does not use any back-plate and I guess it was bending a little bit the motherboard.

One day wanted to start anymore and I returned to use the build in one but i didn't remembered how much noise that one does!. Was driving me crazy.

Then I bought the thermalright axp90-36 that worked perfectly because you can use the original back-plate or the one in the box.

Now i have similar performance to the NHL9-I same noise level and without the coil noise.

IMG_20211104_213845.jpg

Desktop Screenshot 2021.11.04 - 23.48.42.80.png

Desktop Screenshot 2021.11.05 - 00.02.22.22.png

Desktop Screenshot 2021.11.05 - 00.02.29.07.png

photo_2021-11-05_12-57-34 (3).jpg

photo_2021-11-05_12-57-34 (2).jpg

photo_2021-11-05_12-57-34.jpg

Hi, 

Could you please provide an instruction how to to mount the APX cooler with thew orginal backplate? 

16 minutes ago, Alexklaus2 said:

Hi, 

Could you please provide an instruction how to to mount the APX cooler with thew orginal backplate? 

Hi,

I did this last week and it's an easy process.

1. Remove the GPU. Just lift the tab in the PCIe slot, move the card up and disconnect the power connectors.

2. Remove the stock cooler and clean the thermal paste.

3. Change the APX screws mounted by default with the longer ones included in the package.

4. Apply the thermal paste (the cooler includes one, but you can use the one you prefer)

5. Place the cooler Introducing the screws in the holes and they will get out in the other side of the metal plate (you will see the holes once you remove the GPU)

6. Use the included nuts to fix the cooler. Try not to apply too much force, just tighten the nuts enough so it doesn't move and you see the cooler is contacting the CPU.

The whole process won't take more than 15minutes.

On 3/31/2022 at 2:18 PM, carillan said:

Hi,

I did this last week and it's an easy process.

1. Remove the GPU. Just lift the tab in the PCIe slot, move the card up and disconnect the power connectors.

2. Remove the stock cooler and clean the thermal paste.

3. Change the APX screws mounted by default with the longer ones included in the package.

4. Apply the thermal paste (the cooler includes one, but you can use the one you prefer)

5. Place the cooler Introducing the screws in the holes and they will get out in the other side of the metal plate (you will see the holes once you remove the GPU)

6. Use the included nuts to fix the cooler. Try not to apply too much force, just tighten the nuts enough so it doesn't move and you see the cooler is contacting the CPU.

The whole process won't take more than 15minutes.

Thanks a lot for the instrucitons! Do you know if it is possible to use the short scres as well? I lost one of the long ones... 

• 2 weeks later...

Some of my observations regarding the CPU cooler:
The length from the processor to the side wall is 43mm.
That is, when we use a Noctua NH-L9i or Thermalright AXP90-X36, there is a gap of 6-7 mm.

It would be optimal, for example, to install a 20 mm thick fan on them, but I have not seen such.

The other side - to find a higher heatsink (up to 27-28mm).

I found similar heatsinks from servers. For example Supermicro SNK-P0046P. It can easily be found on bulletin boards at a reasonable price.

Its height is 27mm. Exactly what is needed. If we add 15mm from the fan, we get the perfect 42mm. Just need to make slots for mounting the fan.

Is the idea implementable?

On 4/6/2022 at 11:23 AM, Alexklaus2 said:

Thanks a lot for the instrucitons! Do you know if it is possible to use the short scres as well? I lost one of the long ones... 

You can certainly try, but I don't think the screw will go trough to the other side.

On 4/14/2022 at 5:39 PM, lifecom said:

Some of my observations regarding the CPU cooler:
The length from the processor to the side wall is 43mm.
That is, when we use a Noctua NH-L9i or Thermalright AXP90-X36, there is a gap of 6-7 mm.

It would be optimal, for example, to install a 20 mm thick fan on them, but I have not seen such.

The other side - to find a higher heatsink (up to 27-28mm).

I found similar heatsinks from servers. For example Supermicro SNK-P0046P. It can easily be found on bulletin boards at a reasonable price.

Its height is 27mm. Exactly what is needed. If we add 15mm from the fan, we get the perfect 42mm. Just need to make slots for mounting the fan.

Is the idea implementable?

I ordered this radiator - https://www.exegate.com/catalogue/cooler/ex286164.html. When I get it, I'll try

• 2 weeks later...

1.thumb.jpeg.db9b439da7d6041d99ea370cc673e118.jpeg

The heatsink I ordered screwed onto the default backplate perfectly, without disassembling the motherboard.

2.thumb.jpeg.9fcc58a3ac8cc17cc1c210458d779589.jpeg

3.thumb.jpeg.93831cddc5aac1b574f6578b40d33469.jpeg

The top edge of the heatsink is about 2-3 mm smaller than the edge of the RAM.

4.thumb.jpeg.8c8714fb90d474050f06e3f1fa91809e.jpeg
A fan 15 mm thick is installed on the radiator.

5.thumb.jpeg.792e1725ab192b4d01c731206062584e.jpeg

And with the side cover installed, even a gap of 2-3 mm remains.

I think in this space can be installed Noctua NA-FD1 for better airflow.
The question remains - how to fix the fan to the radiator. I will try different metal clips.

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2022 at 2:32 PM, lifecom said:

1.thumb.jpeg.db9b439da7d6041d99ea370cc673e118.jpeg

The heatsink I ordered screwed onto the default backplate perfectly, without disassembling the motherboard.

2.thumb.jpeg.9fcc58a3ac8cc17cc1c210458d779589.jpeg

3.thumb.jpeg.93831cddc5aac1b574f6578b40d33469.jpeg

The top edge of the heatsink is about 2-3 mm smaller than the edge of the RAM.

4.thumb.jpeg.8c8714fb90d474050f06e3f1fa91809e.jpeg
A fan 15 mm thick is installed on the radiator.

5.thumb.jpeg.792e1725ab192b4d01c731206062584e.jpeg

And with the side cover installed, even a gap of 2-3 mm remains.

I think in this space can be installed Noctua NA-FD1 for better airflow.
The question remains - how to fix the fan to the radiator. I will try different metal clips.

Hello, can you please share your results with such setup ?