Help me decide! RTX 3090 VS 6900 XT

malawar
Go to solution Solved by papajo,

buy the cheaper one. Both are a waste of money at current pricetags at least waste less by buying the cheaper lol 

Hello,

Between the RTX 3090 and the 6900 XT - which would you pair with a 5950x and a ROG Crosshair VIII Formula?

My deciding factors are:

Thermals - Noise - Reliability

I don't care much for which can squeeze out more fps. I just want to make sure that I get is basically reliable. If someone can share from their own experience or a similar setup?

Thanks!

Start with sharing what you're using the system for.

Both will be reliable just for just about anything and thermals and noise are down to which board partner card you get.

So a little more info about your use case will help.

Esp what case you are building in.

2 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Start with sharing what you're using the system for.

Both will be reliable just for just about anything and thermals and noise are down to which board partner card you get.

So a little more info about your use case will help.

Esp what case you are building in.

Mostly content creation - music and audio production, light design, video production

And obviously I'll be doing a bit of gaming on the side - but that's not the priority.

There's a pretty sweet deal available to me locally on an XFX 6900.

Building in an Asus Helios case.

19 minutes ago, malawar said:

Hello,

Between the RTX 3090 and the 6900 XT - which would you pair with a 5950x and a ROG Crosshair VIII Formula?

My deciding factors are:

I don't care much for which can squeeze out more fps. I just want to make sure that I get is basically reliable. If someone can share from their own experience or a similar setup?

Thanks!

They will both be monsters in terms of performance, if you want raw power go with amd, but if u want decent rtx performance go nvidia, keep in mind that even with nvidia it still is an absolute UNIT of a card

buy the cheaper one. Both are a waste of money at current pricetags at least waste less by buying the cheaper lol 

1 minute ago, papajo said:

Kind of what I was literally just thinking about lol.

They are both great and I'm probably not going to feel the differences between them.

6900 deal is too good to pass.

3 minutes ago, malawar said:

Kind of what I was literally just thinking about lol.

They are both great and I'm probably not going to feel the differences between them.

6900 deal is too good to pass.

at $1500 + it is still a waste of money but if you "have" to have one of them go for it. <--- that's if you are not very rich and just saved up lots of money to buy pc parts.

If you literally fart and 100$ bills come out your back then buy the 3090 because it is overall better it costs about  +500$ though but if you dont care to waste 1500 you probably dont care to waste $2000. 

4 hours ago, malawar said:

Hello,

My deciding factors are:

Thanks!

I can't comment on the RX 6900 XT but as a RTX 3090 FE owner I can vouch that if you can get one for $1500 it would be the card to get.   The card's cooler is fantastic, the card itself looks like a work of art, better Ray Tracing than the RX, has DLSS, NVIDIA studio, more memory, and simply the fastest GPU out there.  Now is it a great value no, but with all these price hikes going on it kind of is...  I just saw Newegg directly selling a 6800 for $950 and through Newegg shuffle RX 6900 XT were going for $1400+.  If you can get a pure $1000 RX 6900 XT sure the debate tightens but those cards are really rare

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

On 1/30/2021 at 12:33 AM, Jrasero said:

I can't comment on the RX 6900 XT but as a RTX 3090 FE owner I can vouch that if you can get one for $1500 it would be the card to get.   The card's cooler is fantastic, the card itself looks like a work of art, better Ray Tracing than the RX, has DLSS, NVIDIA studio, more memory, and simply the fastest GPU out there.  Now is it a great value no, but with all these price hikes going on it kind of is...  I just saw Newegg directly selling a 6800 for $950 and through Newegg shuffle RX 6900 XT were going for $1400+.  If you can get a pure $1000 RX 6900 XT sure the debate tightens but those cards are really rare

I found one on pre-order that ships in Mar/Apr for 1500$ but I can't wait that long lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2021 at 5:35 AM, malawar said:

I found one on pre-order that ships in Mar/Apr for 1500$ but I can't wait that long lol

Well you might be waiting that long for any card anyways, you might as well wait and get the card you want.  I will saying the rumors the RTX 3080 Ti are ramping up again so that might be a third option.  I will say price at this point has become almost irrelevant since besides the FE cards they all have had price hikes or being sold above the suggest retails by authorized sellers.  I know I am not one to talk since I got both my current EVGA RTX 3080 and RTX 3090 FE for MSRP, but if I were in your position I would pay the scalped or increase price and here is why.  It doesn't look like stock will be remotely better by the end of Q1.  There is no indication that for the US tariffs will be lifted.  If you aren't against the idea of mining, doing so can heavily offset the cost of your card as long as your electricity is out of this world high and bitcoin and mining stay high.  

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42"