Hey guys need help buying a new laptop

FeltyKat

I'm deciding on buying a new laptop for college and it's primary use will be for 3D animation ( a lot of ray tracing )

My budget is around 3000$ - 4000$

I'm deciding on buying a new laptop for college and it's primary use will be for 3D animation ( a lot of ray tracing )

My budget is around 3000$ - 4000$

will you be moving around alot? will be much better to buy a rendering desktop for that kind on monay

Basically any i7 MQ series laptop with a graphics card will fit the bill.

Is there a reason why you're not going with a more powerful desktop?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

will you be moving around alot? will be much better to buy a rendering desktop for that kind on monay

i'm thinking of buying a desktop also but the college said every student must have a laptop

Basically any i7 MQ series laptop with a graphics card will fit the bill.

Is there a reason why you're not going with a more powerful desktop?

the college a laptop is necessary and must be brought to the college everyday

i would go with a desktop if i was you

if you will only use a laptop

then u need one with a quadro card

the K5000m and the K5100M are the fastest Quadro cards

sagar has the best bang for the buck when it comes to workstations (from what i have seen)

https://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_info&model_name=NP9570

you can choose a desktop CPU too

EDIT

better to buy an average workstation laptop if you will buy a desktop too

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

i'm thinking of buying a desktop also but the college said every student must have a laptop

shouldn't they pay for it then? that's ridiculous if they are making you buy a laptop out of your own money, imho, buy a decent laptop around $600 then spend the rest on your rendering desktop

the college a laptop is necessary and must be brought to the college everyday

shouldn't they pay for it then? that's ridiculous if they are making you buy a laptop out of your own money, imho, buy a decent laptop around $600 then spend the rest on your rendering desktop

Something along those lines^

If you are not required to be confined to a laptop, get a cheaper laptop to work with and render/do actual work on your desktop. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I would get an ultrabook or a good portable notebook and a powerfull desktop. You don't want to carry around a notebook like that, believe me.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

The new Razer Blade? 

can it do hi-res ray tracing

The new Razer Blade? 

Intensive 3D animation will require a lot more than the i7 in the Blade especially if you want it to be to render quickly.

Intensive 3D animation will require a lot more than the i7 in the Blade especially if you want it to be to render quickly.

Yep. I was thinking about ligth editing and shit. I should read. 

There are the Dell mobile workstations:   m4800, or m6800

depending on model, you'll have a selection of quadro:  k2100m, k3100m, k4100m, k5100m (8GB!)

Available in various i core processors up to i7-4930mx extreme edition  (none are soldered so you could potentially upgrade from lower CPU later)

4 memory slots with the i7 quad cores, allowing up to 32GB

If you go Dell then definately get the Pro warranty with it's next business day service.  I've used Dell's pro service alot and is much better experience than their basic service.

Lenovo y510p. Not sure if any will fit your needs

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

There are the Dell mobile workstations:   m4800, or m6800

depending on model, you'll have a selection of quadro:  k2100m, k3100m, k4100m, k5100m (8GB!)

Available in various i core processors up to i7-4930mx extreme edition  (none are soldered so you could potentially upgrade from lower CPU later)

4 memory slots with the i7 quad cores, allowing up to 32GB

If you go Dell then definately get the Pro warranty with it's next business day service.  I've used Dell's pro service alot and is much better experience than their basic service.

thank you