DDR5 Performance Expectations: Does it even make sense to build a PC now!?

Supposedly consumer DDR5 RAM should start rolling out by the end of this year/start of 2022, together with new Intel and AMD platforms.

I'm interested in what kind of real life performance differences should we be expecting (gaming, general productivity, etc.)?

It seems like with DDR5 being right on the horizon, trade wars, tariffs, global shortages, scalpers, ridiculous prices and, of course, the COVID-19 pandemic, some of us might feel discouraged to invest in any kind of PC related components at the moment. Why not just skip 2021 completely?

I'd be interested in hearing what you guys have to say about this?

Response to title; No but for different reasons (availability, scalpers etc.)

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Given the pricing of GFX cards, no it doesn't make sense at all right now, or in the near future.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 minutes ago, gal-m said:

What do you guys think?

i would personally let people try it out first, i wont be the first wave to buy it, maybe few months later if it's nice.

if you upgrade often, waiting for DDR5 for AMD's long(er) upgrade path might seem viable, you get more use out of your RAM + board

if you dont upgrade often (once every... 5-7 years?) then you can just buy one now, and by the time you need an upgrade, DDR5 will be very mature or it'll be DDR6 already.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Response to title; No but for different reasons (availability, scalpers etc.)

Hahahah! I agree with you there @HanZie82. That's why I decided to have this discussion.

Together with DDR5 being out on the horizon and the global shortages.. should we even bother, or just skip 2021 completely?

Historically new generation RAM always started out slower than previous generation top end RAM.

Usually things like timings and clock speeds kept it down.

It usually takes a year or a bit more to catch up.

Also often it starts at a higher voltage..... So more heat less overclocking less stability more expensive motherboards with more tracers layers etc....

Also RAM was always a factor but not really that much of a factor.

Also with this current global shitshow I really doubt we will see new ram hit the market this year for consumers it has been a thing in servers for a while so if you really want to you can pull out some server test data.

The way I see most hardware advances: Give it at least a year before software catches up to a point where it can even utilize or need the performance gains. There might be some industries where there's an exception (like computer animation perhaps) but otherwise... for the average user, it won't make a huge difference

I think the true O shit moment.... All my hardware is now obsolete will come when memory and system memory will sort of melt into one....

Like when we will loose all those legacy connectors and move everything to PCIE gen something or what ever comes next. Would also kill the need for extra ram on a GPU and we have been heading in that direction for a while.

So you would just have cash and system memory and storage melded into sort of one. With possible slow legacy storage options as an option.

And we are not that far off that point.

High end server already use all sorts of esoteric storage configurations that basically only work over PCIE. And are horribly broken in software. But when if this happens you will have to code differently. We sort of see this with the current generation consoles having a shared memory for CPU and GPU..... and fast streaming assets in games of an SSD vs traditional ram buffering.

Supposedly CDPR uses that as one of the justifications why Cyberpunk runs so bad on last gen consoles. The storage is too slow to stream assets....

13 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

if you dont upgrade often (once every... 5-7 years?) then you can just buy one now, and by the time you need an upgrade, DDR5 will be very mature or it'll be DDR6 already.

That's exactly what I'm planning on doing. Just purchased a 5900X and a nice Strix X570 board.

Just now, gal-m said:

That's exactly what I'm planning on doing. Just purchased a 5900X and a nice Strix X570 board.

then why are you worried lol

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, gal-m said:

Same now I just need to find the correct Satanic ritual to conjure up a 3080.......

I remember there was talk on this forums of goats and the AMD 6000 series might start there....

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

then why are you worried lol

Not worried. 

Post is meant to serve as a general discussion in reference to the decision making process of investing in components at the moment, with everything that is going on, or going to happen. I'm always interested in what people think.

1 minute ago, gal-m said:

Not worried. 

Post is meant to serve as a general discussion in reference to the decision making process of investing in components at the moment, with everything that is going on, or going to happen. I'm always interested in what people think.

The word "investing" can only really be applied to scalping in the consumer space.....

It is not an investment unless it generates revenue..... So unless you need one for work or business not really an investment.

It is like people saying they invest in a home 😄 NOP unless you are planning to flip it. At best you are cutting costs.

5 minutes ago, Exidor said:

now I just need to find the correct Satanic ritual to conjure up a 3080

If you manage to find any literature on that, please let me know. I'm not allowed to go into the restricted section of the Hogwarts Library.

I sincerely thank you in advance @Exidor.

4 minutes ago, Exidor said:

The word "investing" can only really be applied to scalping in the consumer space

I view e.g. purchasing a new gaming PC as an investment to make yourself entertained. 

But for future reference: you can look at the word investment as general purchasing in my posts. But that's not really the point anyways. Pretty sure people know what I'm trying to say.

Sure will do.....

Might come with some strings attached but then again I was never the type to wear white........

6 minutes ago, gal-m said:

I view e.g. purchasing a new gaming PC as an investment to make yourself entertained. 

But for future reference: you can look at the word investment as general purchasing in my posts. But that's not really the point anyways. Pretty sure people know what I'm trying to say.

Sure....

I always tell people LOOK I know this is expensive but we all take drugs REALITY sucks.... Plain and simple so this is escapism. Imagine this as a 3 years worth of alcohol or any other drug you frequently use..... 

Yes absolutely it looses resell value faster.

Yes Yes it is less liquid as it is harder to sell.

BUT my liver will thank me. Oh and I get free eye treatment through medical coverage.

So now consider alternative costs. Sure there is a big opportunity cost but most investments under half a million barely cover inflation here in the EU.

1 minute ago, Exidor said:

Sure....

I always tell people LOOK I know this is expensive but we all take drugs REALITY sucks.... Plain and simple so this is escapism. Imagine this as a 3 years worth of alcohol or any other drug you frequently use..... 

Yes absolutely it looses resell value faster.

Yes Yes it is less liquid as it is harder to sell.

BUT your my liver will thank me. Oh and I get free eye treatment through medical coverage.

So now consider alternative costs. Sure there is a big opportunity cost but most investments under half a million barely cover inflation here in the EU.

Why exclude one for another, i wanna smoke what you've been smoking! 😄 ❤️

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Just now, HanZie82 said:

Why exclude one for another, i wanna smoke what you've been smoking! 😄 ❤️

Too much economics theory being locked up in a room......

I even suffered through Keynes and his general theory....... I didnt even read that shit while getting my MBA LOL

But generally speaking video gaming is still one of the cheapest vices and it can kill time very efficiently.....

Side note FUCK EA and in game gambling......... The general population needs something to numb the pain of reality you bastards !!!!!!!!!!!

-> Moved to CPUs, Motherboards and Memory

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv