Weird PATA to mSata converter on amazon

MikeTengu

Festnight mSATA to 2.5" 44PIN PATA/IDE SSD HDD mSATA to PATA Converter Adapter Enclosure (Case Included): Amazon.ca: Electronics

i came across this while looking for a replacement for a failing PATA HDD

there are a couple of listings of this item on ebay

im wondering if this could legitimately work and is there a chance that this could work with a Windows NT install (working on semi old legacy industrial equipment, SINUMERIK PCU 50)

any info would be much appreciated

3 minutes ago, MikeTengu said:

Festnight mSATA to 2.5" 44PIN PATA/IDE SSD HDD mSATA to PATA Converter Adapter Enclosure (Case Included): Amazon.ca: Electronics

i came across this while looking for a replacement for a failing PATA HDD

there are a couple of listings of this item on ebay

im wondering if this could legitimately work and is there a chance that this could work with a Windows NT install (working on very old legacy industrial equipment, SINUMERIK PCU 50)

any info would be much appreciated

Yes there can be adapters like that, but i guess noone knows if that particular one is a scam.

2 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

Yes there can be adapters like that, but i guess noone knows if that particular one is a scam.

I wouldnt hesitate to test it for $20 considering that a list price for an original drive is between $300-$700 

havent seen one that looks like this before but ive seen adapters between those formats so it could work

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Probably ok but can never say with 100% certainty. I wonder now if I should try to find one, as I do have spare mSATA SSD and my 1st laptop I bought for myself has a PATA HD currently. I never use it any more, but keep it around. Maybe it can be called a retro system at some point.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

It's legit, the JMICRON controller chip is a sata-ide bridge, goes both ways ... so the adapter converts a mSATA drive to a 44 pin IDE ( LAPTOP IDE)  drive. 

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

It's legit, the JMICRON controller chip is a sata-ide bridge, goes both ways ... so the adapter converts a mSATA drive to a 44 pin IDE ( LAPTOP IDE)  drive. 

thank you for the information, will see about ordering one

Do you think it might have any issues running a windows NT os?

Edited by MikeTengu

5 minutes ago, MikeTengu said:

thank you for the information, will see about ordering one

Do you think it might have any issues running a windows NT os?

Any issues won't come from your choice of OS, by the time the OS is loaded and looking for a drive the controller is already working.

If this is going to have issues then it will probably be between the controller and the motherboard which will result in the drive not being detected at all. Its pretty common for these types of device to work in 95% of systems then for seemingly no reason at all not work in one particular system.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

19 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Any issues won't come from your choice of OS, by the time the OS is loaded and looking for a drive the controller is already working.

If this is going to have issues then it will probably be between the controller and the motherboard which will result in the drive not being detected at all. Its pretty common for these types of device to work in 95% of systems then for seemingly no reason at all not work in one particular system.

Fair point 🙂