Build suggestions for a 'developer' build.

MasterMynk

Budget (including currency): Rs. 40000 ($550)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Going to be using Windows/Linux dual boot. Windows for games that don't work nicely on Linux and Linux for everything else. Mostly going to be attending online classes, with bit of coding here & there, some video/photo editing with GIMP, Kdenlive & Inkscape. Also wanted to learn Blender & OpenGL (I couldn't because my current machine doesn't support OpenGL Version 3 or above).

Other details (Whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from,  etc): I have a standard mouse, keyboard & monitor. Completely new build. Also my first time.

These are the parts I thought would be nice: 

CPU:

Ryzen 5 2600: Rs.12,650 ($173)

or

Ryzen 5 3500: Rs.12,259 ($168)

Mobo: Asrock B450M Pro4: Rs. 6,299 ($86)

Ram: Kingston HyperX Predator 8GB (4GBx2) DDR4 3200MHz Memory  <Bascially any 8GB (4GBx2) 3200mhz ram kit>: Rs. 3,350 ($46)

Graphics Card: Radeon Rx 560 4GB: Rs. 8,350 ($114)

PSU: Gigabyte PB450: Rs. 2,750 ($38)

Case: MSI MAG Foge 100M (I'm choosing a bit of expensive case as I plan on keeping it for a long time): Rs. 4,725 ($65)

Storage: Kingston Q500 240GB 2.5 inch SSD: Rs.2399 ($33)

So basically I need more CPU power than GPU power. Any suggestion would be helpful

19 minutes ago, MasterMynk said:

Graphics Card: Radeon Rx 560 4GB: Rs. 8,350 ($114)

rx550 or a gt 1030

or

Ryzen 5 3500: Rs.12,259 ($168)

Ryzen 5 3600

Case: MSI MAG Foge 100M (I'm choosing a bit of expensive case as I plan on keeping it for a long time): Rs. 4,725 ($65)

check for a good case for cheap in your local store, im from sri lanka (near india) and in my country, i have many unknown branded good and durable pc cases for cheap

21 minutes ago, MasterMynk said:

Storage: Kingston Q500 240GB 2.5 inch SSD: Rs.2399 ($33)

+ a 1TB HDD

and thats all good!

hey! i know to use a computer

Wish I know enough about Indian markets to help. If this all works in your budget this looks like a good build, but definitely go for the 3500 at those prices. This is a very shoestring budget for a new computer if the currency conversion is accurate. This computer would be able to play games on low at 1080p, but the experience might be choppy. I would recommend getting a better GPU but the prices are so high right now that I would honestly just stick with this then wait maybe a year or two until prices settle down again and upgrade to something like a 1060 or a 1660. Remember when you're building cheap builds not to shy away from used parts, except for the PSU and the storage. Never buy a used power supply, HDD, or SSD. You might be able to get a used 1060 for just a little bit more than you're getting that 560 for if you try Ebay auctions.

54 minutes ago, WikiForce said:

you better off buying Intel in India considering the current market situation, i5 10400f is available for similar price and performs comparatively to a 3600 which is 5k more expensive than the former. Get H410 board if you plan to go with Intel after my advice

Yeah I had thought about going the Intel route but didn't investigate further as I thought that I wouldn't be able to overclock it later when this configuration becomes out-of-date. Now that I think about it, going for a better CPU in the first place is the better choice.

Buy Ant ESports PSU VS500L from Amazon

I actually wanted to go for a PSU with a good rating and the Gigabyte is 80+ Bronze. But I might consider this one if saving money this way could result in considerable performance boost.

16gb is the sweetspot these days

I don't think I need 16gb. I'm currently rocking 4GB and that's working pretty fine for me (on Linux atleast). Only once have I had a problem when the ram became full.

42 minutes ago, hirusha.adikari said:

check for a good case for cheap in your local store, im from sri lanka (near india) and in my country, i have many unknown branded good and durable pc cases for cheap

Yea will look into that surely.

42 minutes ago, hirusha.adikari said:

+ a 1TB HDD

I had planned a 1TB HDD but with that the price went up to 43K ($588). So I didn't include it here even though I would end up buying it in the end. It was a WD Blue 1TB HDD.

41 minutes ago, Joseph K said:

Remember when you're building cheap builds not to shy away from used parts

Yea I don't mind used parts although my father is kinda against it as there aren't any deals in my state all are spread around India and it would be tough getting it fixed if something goes wrong. I'm working on a deal on OLX (basically like craigslist) for a Ryzen 5 2600, Gigabyte B450 DS3H & Gigabyte PB500 combo for 20K ($274). I will try to get the price down further though.

41 minutes ago, Joseph K said:

You might be able to get a used 1060 for just a little bit more than you're getting that 560 for if you try Ebay auctions.

I don't think I will go the Ebay route because there isn't an Ebay India as such (atleast as much as I know) so mostly all parts will be shipped from the USA or somewhere like that if I order from ebay.com and I'm not ready to take the risk I think 😅.

34 minutes ago, MasterMynk said:

Yeah I had thought about going the Intel route but didn't investigate further as I thought that I wouldn't be able to overclock it later when this configuration becomes out-of-date. Now that I think about it, going for a better CPU in the first place is the better choice.

I actually wanted to go for a PSU with a good rating and the Gigabyte is 80+ Bronze. But I might consider this one if saving money this way could result in considerable performance boost.

I don't think I need 16gb. I'm currently rocking 4GB and that's working pretty fine for me (on Linux atleast). Only once have I had a problem when the ram became full.

Yea will look into that surely.

I had planned a 1TB HDD but with that the price went up to 43K ($588). So I didn't include it here even though I would end up buying it in the end. It was a WD Blue 1TB HDD.

Yea I don't mind used parts although my father is kinda against it as there aren't any deals in my state all are spread around India and it would be tough getting it fixed if something goes wrong. I'm working on a deal on OLX (basically like craigslist) for a Ryzen 5 2600, Gigabyte B450 DS3H & Gigabyte PB500 combo for 20K ($274). I will try to get the price down further though.

I don't think I will go the Ebay route because there isn't an Ebay India as such (atleast as much as I know) so mostly all parts will be shipped from the USA or somewhere like that if I order from ebay.com and I'm not ready to take the risk I think 😅.

Getting the power supply and motherboard you have selected, overclocking is out of the question. Don't rely on overclocking if you're putting a low end build together.

29 minutes ago, WikiForce said:

You will save significant amount of money with similar quality PSU if not better, Gigabyte doesn't have great reputation with their PSUs

The videos that I've seen about it say that its good but they also don't test it much I think. I'll research about this more and if I decide to switch it will be either Cooler Master MWE 450 for Rs 2,575 ($35) or Corsair CV450 for 3,377 ($46).

1 hour ago, WikiForce said:

Get H410 board if you plan to go with Intel after my advice

Could give some suggestions for this as I tried finding some good ones and failed. I looked at Gigabyte H410-H and Asrock H410M HDV both for around 6K ($82). Both of these have only 2 ram slots which could limit my upgrade option later down the line I feel. Or do all H410 mobos have only 2 ram slots?

1 hour ago, WikiForce said:

Just buy a used 1060 / rx 580 from olx as well, might be hard to get under 9k considering hiked prices so look for 1060 3gb variant or rx 570

Yea I'll try to get a few nice deals for a GTX 1060 3GB or Rx 570 4GB on olx.

34 minutes ago, MasterMynk said:

The videos that I've seen about it say that its good but they also don't test it much I think. I'll research about this more and if I decide to switch it will be either Cooler Master MWE 450 for Rs 2,575 ($35) or Corsair CV450 for 3,377 ($46).

Could give some suggestions for this as I tried finding some good ones and failed. I looked at Gigabyte H410-H and Asrock H410M HDV both for around 6K ($82). Both of these have only 2 ram slots which could limit my upgrade option later down the line I feel. Or do all H410 mobos have only 2 ram slots?

Yea I'll try to get a few nice deals for a GTX 1060 3GB or Rx 570 4GB on olx.

Don't worry about getting more than 2 ram slots. If you eventually decide that you need 16GB instead of 8GB you're gonna need to replace the sticks anyway unless you can find the exact model you already have. I see all the time people talking about mixing RAM and the reality is that if you're upgrading to 16GB mixed from clean 8GB you're probably gonna see a performance downgrade.

2 hours ago, WikiForce said:

Well, they would obviously be s8gnificantly more expensive but same would be the case with b450 on amd side, maybe buy that used as well

Okay right now the parts list looks something like this:

CPU:

Intel: Core i5 10400F: Rs.13,500 ($185)

AMD:

Ryzen 5 2600: Rs.13,429 ($184)

or

Ryzen 5 3500: Rs.12,259 ($168)

Mobo:

Intel: Asrock H410M HDV: Rs.6,050 ($83)

AMD:

Asrock B450M Pro4: Rs.6,299 ($86)

or

ASUS Prime A320M-K: Rs.4,081 ($55)

Ram: HyperX 8GB (2x4GB) 3200mhz ram: 3,350 ($46) (You can go with ram at less frequency for Intel but I couldn't find any 8GB kit)

Graphics Card:  Radeon Rx 560 4GB: Rs. 8,350 ($114)

PSU: Ant Esports FP500B: 3,100

Storage:

Boot Drive: Kingston Q500 240GB SATA 2.5 inch SSD: Rs. 2,399 ($33)

Extra: Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB HDD (Blue): Rs.3,200 ($44)

So the Intel build comes up to: Rs.39,949 ($547)

AMD build: Rs.36,739 ($503) - Rs.40,127 ($550)

both without a case.

If I were to choose I would go with Ryzen 5 2600 with A320 mobo so the price comes to Rs.37909 ($519) and then I would buy a case with the remaining money. What do you think?

Although I can always get something better second hand.

2 hours ago, WikiForce said:

Those seem bit overpriced for wattage, ant esports also has bronze rated 550w unit around 3k so also consider that, reputable brands are overrated and other companies who make PSUs are not fools, it's just a dumb generalization that people can't off to.

I have nothing against Ant Esports, its just that I didn't know this PSU existed. Thanks for telling I think this is better value and also good if I want to upgrade later.

• 1 month later...

Okay guys. today I have finally completed my PC build.

The specs I ended up with:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x for Rs. 14,300 ($197.38)

Mobo: Asrock B450M Pro4 for Rs. 6,910 ($95.38)

Ram: Silicon Power 2666mhz 8gb (2x4gb) for Rs. 3,760 ($51.9)

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon Rx 470 for Rs. 5,680 ($78.4)

PSU: Ant Esports FP550B for Rs. 2,944 ($40.64)

Thermal Paste: Cooler Master Mastergel Regular for Rs. 250 ($3.45)

Storage: Kingston Q500 240GB SATA 2.5 inch SSD for Rs. 2,864 ($39.53)

Case: Ant Esports ICE-511MT for 4,285 ($59.15)

Total: Rs. 40,993 ($565.83)

These are some of the websites I found where you can get parts for a bit cheaper than on Amazon:

https://www.primeabgb.com/

https://mdcomputers.in/
https://www.vedantcomputers.com/

https://www.theitwares.com/

https://www.theitdepot.com/

I ordered the mobo from the first and the ram from the second and their packaging was very good when compared with Amazon's.

And if you want used parts there is a facebook group called Zoukart. Got my CPU and Graphics Card from there only. Zoukart also has a website https://zoukart.com/ from where you can directly buy second hand stuff but as of writing this post, the website is under contruction. There are a few other group but I won't recommend them here as I haven't bought stuff from there but once you join Zoukart, Facebook will recommend you those group automatically. 

Zoukart: https://www.facebook.com/groups/secondhandcomponent/

BTW I use Arch 😉

IMG_20210327_181030.jpg

IMG_20210327_181340.jpg

IMG_20210327_213135.jpg