Drop Thx pandas?

kucharczykt

For the price are the (mass)drop thx panda wireless headphones good and do they compare to other wired audiophile headphones in that price range?

For the tech your getting it's worth it but they are having QC issues currently. In terms of comparing to wired options there are a bunch of open backs I would rate higher at half the price. And I would rate it similarly to the $200 Audeze Penrose or Mobius

11 minutes ago, rice guru said:

For the tech your getting it's worth it but they are having QC issues currently. In terms of comparing to wired options there are a bunch of open backs I would rate higher at half the price. And I would rate it similarly to the $200 Audeze Penrose or Mobius

Ok if this is the case then I think I'll get a amp and either used sennys or the 58x jubilies(I'm not a massdrop fanboy I swear) and some cheaper wired headphones. Are there any wireless headphones you would reccomend around 100 dollars or so?

Are you planning to do more down the road in terms of audio equipment? Or is this a one and done?  If you're going to make this a hobby I suggest the 6xx.  I don't know much about the 58x but I know that the 6xx will directly reflect what ever you put behind them so it gives a good path for experimentation.

As for an amp or a dac and amp there are a lot of solutions that will put you at the same budget as the panda was to begin with.

As for the panda it's self I've heard that they're some of the better wireless headphones, if wireless is important enough to you it would be a good option.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

15 minutes ago, Psittac said:

Are you planning to do more down the road in terms of audio equipment? Or is this a one and done?  If you're going to make this a hobby I suggest the 6xx.  I don't know much about the 58x but I know that the 6xx will directly reflect what ever you put behind them so it gives a good path for experimentation.

As for an amp or a dac and amp there are a lot of solutions that will put you at the same budget as the panda was to begin with.

As for the panda it's self I've heard that they're some of the better wireless headphones, if wireless is important enough to you it would be a good option.

I'm definitely going to make this a hobby I've pretty well decided on the schiit magni 3 for an amp but I haven't decided on a pair of headphones. Since making this post I've done a little more research and thinking and decided if/when I get a pair of wireless headphones they probally won't be audiophile centered.

Just now, kucharczykt said:

I'm definitely going to make this a hobby I've pretty well decided on the schiit magni 3 for an amp but I haven't decided on a pair of headphones. Since making this post I've done a little more research and thinking and decided if/when I get a pair of wireless headphones they probally won't be audiophile centered.

ok cool, then in my experience the best way to start the hobby is with something that everyone has.  And that's the 600/650/6xx, that way you can understand what people are saying when they compare it to something else, ex: the 6xx has a close and intimate and warm feeling with strong vocal's and weak bass.  Before I started those words meant nothing to me.  My first "reference" pair of headphones were the hifiman 400i's and little known to me they were referenced by no one, went a couple years on those then my wallet could really focus on headfi.  What I've learned through experience and been told is you should start with a good solid state amp, then you can move to tubes.  That way you know what the tubes are doing.  I have gone from solid state to tubes back to solid state then back to tubes again.  But tubes are more of an experience to be had than normal listening.  The rabbit hole is very deep in head-fi.  Depending on your financial devotion to the hobby I would say go schiit magni/modi (maybe heresy no experience with that type) then go for something like the little dot mkII or little bear p7 and find a good (not expensive) pair of tubes.  At that point you've got a wide selection of experiences and can call it there, maybe throw in another pair of can's down the road.  But I would highly recommend the 6xx over 58x as my loose understanding is that the only benefit to 58x is ease of powering, which you are already talking going amplified.  Only added thought I have is that you don't need a dac immediately if that makes budgeting easier.  Then you can get some time with and without a dac to understand what a dac is doing for you.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission