PC Not booting after swapping CPU’s

oavy
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

Did you try Clearing the CMOS when you put the old CPU back in?

Hey guys, so I recently upgraded from a Ryzen 7 3700x to a Ryzen 9 5900x and after swapping, my PC doesn’t boot. I’ve tried re-placing my ram as well. The DRAM light is also on. 

Specs...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x

GPU: 3060ti

RAM: 32 GB T-Force ARGB

MOBO: Aorus B450 Pro Wifi

PSU: EVGA 750 Watt Gold Rated

I don't think Gigabyte has a Zen 3-supporting BIOS for B450 yet, but I might be wrong.

Update your BIOS to the newest and see if it works.

elephants

When I put my old CPU back in, I still have the same issue... It all starts up (Fans, RGB, etc) but it won’t get past the DRAM stage on the mobo, thus not letting me update it 😞

Did you update the BIOS to support Ryzen 5th gen? The newest BIOS does seem to support the new CPU, but you will need to put in your old CPU in order to do that

Yes, sadly I tried to put in the OLD CPU back in and it still won’t boot. I’m thinking it’s a RAM issue but i don’t know why because it’s always worked before this...

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

Did you try Clearing the CMOS when you put the old CPU back in?

Didn’t mean to solution hahah. My mobo doesn’t have a MEMOK button either. how would i clear it?

1 minute ago, oavy said:

Yes, sadly I tried to put in the OLD CPU back in and it still won’t boot. I’m thinking it’s a RAM issue but i don’t know why because it’s always worked before this...

Changing CPU shouldn't break RAM. Clear CMOS and try with the old CPU.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, oavy said:

Maybe try to run a single stick to see if one of the RAM sticks died.

Just now, Voluspa said:

Changing CPU shouldn't break RAM. Clear CMOS and try with the old CPU.

There is no MEMOK button so how would I clear it?

Maybe try to run a single stick to see if one of the RAM sticks died.

Already tried... but this ram isn’t even a few months old so it shouldnt die.

Just now, oavy said:

There is no MEMOK button so how would I clear it?

MEMOK is not a clear CMOS. There should be a couple small pins on the board itself labeled CMOS, you want to short them with a knife or I've used a penny. 

5 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

I don't think Gigabyte has a Zen 3-supporting BIOS for B450 yet, but I might be wrong.

Update your BIOS to the newest and see if it works.

1 minute ago, oavy said:

Didn’t mean to solution hahah. My mobo doesn’t have a MEMOK button either. how would i clear it?

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-1x/support#support-cpu

If you update bios to F60 or newer, you have 5900x support. 

You also have a CMOS clear jumper. Short them with something metal. Number 18 in the picture below.

Spoiler

image.png.cea68a547780f12723bf66e7ed129ded.png

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

MEMOK is not a clear CMOS. There should be a couple small pins on the board itself labeled CMOS, you want to short them with a knife or I've used a penny. 

I would need a video to help me do that I would have no clue how to do that specifically. Sorry i’m only 15 but i’m trying to learn.

also thank you guys for helping and being patient 🙏🏻

Right above the front panel connectors is the clear CMOS pins. Get any piece of metal (fork, knife, screw driver, coin, etc.) and touch it to both pieces of metal for about 10 seconds (you don't need to go that long, but still). That should clear CMOS, and may reboot the system to BIOS

I would make a video on how to do it, but the only systems I have nearby have higher end motherboards with clear CMOS buttons and not the pins

6 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I would make a video on how to do it, but the only systems I have nearby have higher end motherboards with clear CMOS buttons and not the pins

understandable but i think your earlier reply was enough for me to get it. Just a recap... I turn the computer on and hold something metal on BOTH pins for a couple seconds. Do I hold it there before or after turning it on

Just now, oavy said:

understandable but i think your earlier reply was enough for me to get it. Just a recap... I turn the computer on and hold something metal on BOTH pins for a couple seconds. Do I hold it there before or after turning it on

It doesn't really matter if the computer is on or off, just make sure the PSU is on and connected to the wall. Other than that, you have it down. I've seen some boards clear near instantly, but others can take a while, so just be patient when doing it.

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It doesn't really matter if the computer is on or off, just make sure the PSU is on and connected to the wall. Other than that, you have it down. I've seen some boards clear near instantly, but others can take a while, so just be patient when doing it.

As I said before, thank you I’ll try it out