Rtx 3080/3070's increasing CPU temps by blowing air in front of CPU

maizenblue

So I'm considering an Aorus Master 3070 but I noticed that it has a big cutout in the backplate with an exposed heat sink underneath at the front of the card. This means hot exhaust air is blown up and dumped right in front of the ram, where my Noctua D15s heatsink and fan are located, much like the founders edition cooler does. It seems a lot of 3080 coolers have the same cutout, so I'm wondering if people found this is increasing their CPU temps substantially, especially with fan style CPU coolers?

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

27 minutes ago, jaslion said:

A couple degrees but that is about it. Nothing major.

That would be fine, but I'm curious why you dont think the increase would be a lot higher? The GPU is literally exhausting air directly into my CPU intake fan. It seems like this would have the effect of dramatically increasing CPU temps. The GPU is exhausting heat directly into the worst possible spot in your case. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

This is no different from a GPU that exhausts all of its heat into the case. The air just has less distance to travel.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D || GPU: Gigabyte Windforce RTX 4090 || Memory: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz DDR4 || Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk || SSD1: 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 (OS drive) || SSD2: 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SATA (Cache Drive via PrimoCache) || Spinning Disks: 3 x 4TB Western Digital Blue HDD (RAID 0) || Monitor: LG CX 55" OLED TV || Sound: Schiit Stack (Modi 2/Magni 3) - Sennheiser HD 598, HiFiMan HE 400i || Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL || Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed || PSU: EVGA 1300-watt G+ PSU || Case: Fractal Design Pop XL Air

1 hour ago, MadPistol said:

This is no different from a GPU that exhausts all of its heat into the case. The air just has less distance to travel.

Normally the GPU fans scatter the heat around the sides and bottom of the case, but this vents it directly into the CPU cooler fan intake before it has a chance to be cooled by fresh air coming in from case fans. This seems like this could be pretty horrible for CPU temps. The FE cooler design mitigates this somewhat by also venting a lot of heat out of the back of the case with its hybrid design, but thats not the case with the Aorus Master, and a review by Paul's Hardware seemed to show it increasing CPU temps by like 8 or 9 degrees, and that was with an AIO, I imagine a CPU fan cooler could be a lot worse. 

Obviously this would be good for GPU temps because in traditional GPU fan cooler designs some of the exhausted heat is sucked back in by the GPU fans, so blowing it up to the top of the case with backplate and PCB cutouts might keep GPU temps lower. My issue is that GPU's tend to be pretty robust and can withstand high temps without performance degradation a lot better than CPU's can. 

18 hours ago, MadPistol said:

I went with an Asus Tuf OC 3070. It also has a cutout in the backplate that exposes the heat sink, but it doesnt advertise it as venting heat upwards, although it probably does. 

For those interested I'll record CPU temps before and after I install it and state how much they rise. I'm actually quite stoked I got a tuf gaming as its possibly the best 3070.

I moved from an XFX RX 5700XT RAW II to the ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC.

I didn't notice any increase in CPU temps that I saw, but I may not have been looking.

While gaming my CPU has been as hot as 75c with very CPU intensive games like AC or CP though, which is kind of high? I guess for a delidded CPU with liquid metal. However it is running at 5ghz with a 1.38v vcore, so those temperatuers aren't too unexpected.

I also have some decent airflow

tTurTGg.jpg

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

I went from an MSI 980 to an EVGA 3080 XC3 UG.

The fins on the 980 ran the length of the card and allowed it to exhaust some of the air out the back of the case.

The fins on the 3080 run the width of the card and the opening of the back plate is pretty blocked so most of the air stays in the case.

The cooler/fins on the 3080 stick out a bit past the PCB but not as much as some other cards

The difference in CPU temps have been 1-3c higher at idle and ~5c higher at load.

I think this has more to do with how much more power the 3080 uses than with the cooler design vs the 980.

My case is a Corsair C70 with 3 intake fans and 2 exhaust.

CPU is an i7 5820k OC'd with a Noctua D15s.

tTurTGg.jpg

Very cool rig. My set up will be similar except I dont have any top case fans and a top fan blowing directly at the CPU cooler as the Corsair 450D's top front has spots for drives and such.

If I see a huge difference in temps I might buy a lancool 2 mesh case since my 450D is 7 years old now and the front fans are getting noisy, plus I cant fit a second fan I bought for my noctua because of ram clearance issues, which wont be a problem with the lancool because its wider.

I would have preferred to go with a 3080 but I hesitated at the moment of truth and balked at the $880 price of an EVGA FTW ULTRA that was amazingly in stock at microcenter, plus the 850W PSU to go with it. Which I kinda regret since that EVGA was such a bad@ss card and probably  worth the extra $ over the $650 3070.