Regedit Windows 10 Boost

Reddox

Hi everyone !

I have seen in a lot of videos about how to boost windows 10 performance.

In a nutshell, it's about using the hardware to it's maximum, therefore removing any power limitation imposed by the OS.

So, are these edits usefull / do they actually work (or is it like downloading RAM Kappa), and, if they do have a positive impact, what ones can I apply on my system ?

Can changing things in regedit boost performance? Yes. Should you touch regedit if you don't know what you're doing? Never.

Chances are if you don't know what you're actually changing, you could easily cause far more harm then it's worth. You almost certainly wouldn't see any noticeable difference anyway.

15 minutes ago, Reddox said:

Hi everyone !

In a nutshell, it's about using the hardware to it's maximum, therefore removing any power limitation imposed by the OS.

So, are these edits usefull / do they actually work (or is it like downloading RAM Kappa), and, if they do have a positive impact, what ones can I apply on my system ?

before going to regedit have you tried power settings? disable every useless feature in Windows 10? there are guides on youtube for setting up windows for gaming, you can watch couple and skip any part that you already did or knew about 🙂

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

16 minutes ago, Reddox said:

Hi everyone !

I've NOT tried this, but I've heard this can help

https://bitsum.com/

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

13 minutes ago, Joseph K said:

Can changing things in regedit boost performance? Yes. Should you touch regedit if you don't know what you're doing? Never.

Chances are if you don't know what you're actually changing, you could easily cause far more harm then it's worth. You almost certainly wouldn't see any noticeable difference anyway.

I guess, thanks. I already used some of these changes on my main gear, as a test -but like 2 years ago-, and it worked perfectly fine. I understand regedit, I pretty much just can't remember where are the entries to modify.

11 minutes ago, podkall said:

before going to regedit have you tried power settings? disable every useless feature in Windows 10? there are guides on youtube for setting up windows for gaming, you can watch couple and skip any part that you already did or knew about 🙂

I already setup my main station, adn I'm pretty sure I've squeezed every bit of performance out of it.
I was asking for my -tbh outragiously slow- ultrabook, and since it was build with battery life over power in mind, and even though I have applied the usual tweeks, I think I can still get a bit more performance out of it 😛

10 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I've NOT tried this, but I've heard this can help

https://bitsum.com/

My CPU is already unparked and performing at a 100%, but I'll look into it, thanks 😉

There was a topic way back a bit where someone asked on what to disable, which can also boost Performance.
There are not Voodoo Magic Reg Tweaks, but it can smoothen it a bit, which is what i did on my Machine. IDK if i can link my Github Guide here, but heres the older post on Services, which def. boost performance.

EDIT:

Might aswell add, that Unparking CPU isnt really needed since 1909 anymore, since Windows does it itself since that Update, so your just disrupting it a bit, unless you got older Windows.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some rando girl that like programming and graphics design

i also read a lot of books and like anime
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before doing anything, check to see if your system is throttling. I have encountered an HP business class laptop that is not really old, like 1 year old, and it was thermal throttling, simply due to the thermal paste being dried up and not convert the whole CPU (a real issue as laptop CPUs don't have an IHS, so you want edge to edge thermal paste coverage). Yes, despite being essentially new! Putting new thermal paste (and applying it properly) has fixed the problem, and the machine got a nice performance boost. 

In this case, I can only guess a manufacture defect, perhaps a bad batch of thermal paste that was too dry at assembly resulted in a poor spread and premature drying. (That, or HP was saving every penny it can, but I give the benefit of the doubt here).

Maybe you have something similar, you can use AIDA64 (trial version is fine) stress test to see if your CPU throttles. It will tell you if it does and by how much (in percentage).

Anyway, since then, I always check for this problem. When you have it day 1, you might just think the system perform the way it does just because... when in reality it was a manufacture fault. It is difficult to detect thermal throttle via Task Manager or whatever tool that shows CPU clocks and temps on a laptop with modern chips. Back in the old days, it was simple, the CPU would just lock itself to 600MHz or 800MHz or something, after CPU temps would reach 90C. Now, the CPU can be 60C, and clocks looks ok (moving up and down), but it is actually thermal throttling as its normal clock up/down isn't being followed correctly, and its clock might fluctuate so much that the software you are using is not refreshing fast enough to capture the fluctuations, and looks like it is steady 2.4GHz (or whatever your CPU clock is)

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Before doing anything, check to see if your system is throttling. I have encountered an HP business class laptop that is not really old, like 1 year old, and it was thermal throttling, simply due to the thermal paste being dried up and not convert the whole CPU (a real issue as laptop CPUs don't have an IHS, so you want edge to edge thermal paste coverage). Yes, despite being essentially new! Putting new thermal paste (and applying it properly) has fixed the problem, and the machine got a nice performance boost. 

In this case, I can only guess a manufacture defect, perhaps a bad batch of thermal paste that was too dry at assembly resulted in a poor spread and premature drying. (That, or HP was saving every penny it can, but I give the benefit of the doubt here).

Maybe you have something similar, you can use AIDA64 (trial version is fine) stress test to see if your CPU throttles. It will tell you if it does and by how much (in percentage).

Anyway, since then, I always check for this problem. When you have it day 1, you might just think the system perform the way it does just because... when in reality it was a manufacture fault. It is difficult to detect thermal throttle via Task Manager or whatever tool that shows CPU clocks and temps on a laptop with modern chips. Back in the old days, it was simple, the CPU would just lock itself to 600MHz or 800MHz or something, after CPU temps would reach 90C. Now, the CPU can be 60C, and clocks looks ok (moving up and down), but it is actually thermal throttling as its normal clock up/down isn't being followed correctly, and its clock might fluctuate so much that the software you are using is not refreshing fast enough to capture the fluctuations, and looks like it is steady 2.4GHz (or whatever your CPU clock is)

I have to say I didn't think of that at all, thanks !

I did test it, and, as expected, it didn't throttle.
I kinda expected it since this PC has no active cooling, and I've seen it hoter before ^^

9 hours ago, Azariel-chan said:

There was a topic way back a bit where someone asked on what to disable, which can also boost Performance.
There are not Voodoo Magic Reg Tweaks, but it can smoothen it a bit, which is what i did on my Machine. IDK if i can link my Github Guide here, but heres the older post on Services, which def. boost performance.

EDIT:

Might aswell add, that Unparking CPU isnt really needed since 1909 anymore, since Windows does it itself since that Update, so your just disrupting it a bit, unless you got older Windows.

Thanks, I'll check it up !

I guess it didn't work properly on my computers...

On all 3 of my computers, running windows 1909 or latest, unparking was a major performance boost...

On 1/29/2021 at 11:02 PM, Reddox said:

Thanks, I'll check it up !

I guess it didn't work properly on my computers...

On all 3 of my computers, running windows 1909 or latest, unparking was a major performance boost...

hm. Try 20H2 or 21H1 and see if its different. We all know how Windows fucks up for some, but for some not

EDIT:

Try Gamemode that may be the thing i meant.

Some rando girl that like programming and graphics design

i also read a lot of books and like anime