Case fan configuration

radosaurus
Go to solution Solved by minibois,

Of course it depends on what you need, like how warm your components get.

Usually I'd do two fans in the front (top two slot), fan in the back and one fan at the top (back option of the two).

The front back is only needed for a bunch of HDD's, the one above the PSU won't do much good and two fans at the top is usually not needed.

465549209_Snmkaobrazovky(20)_LI.jpg.528e5677473724bc4f383f1ea732781b.jpgHey, so i wanna buy case Zalman s4 plus. It has 8 fan mounts. So i was wondering what would be best fan configuration. I wanna keep it cool as possible, noise that config would create doesnt really bother me. I was thinking about something like the photo i attached. Also i will be swapping preinstalled fans with Arctic P12 PWM. I am welcome by your suggestions.

if noise doesnt matter to you dont bother swapping the fans and save yourself that extra expense.

Overall it doesnt really matter how exactly you configure the fans, as long as there is air flowing you will have good cooling.

You will probably have no difference in temperature between having like two fans in the front and one in the back vs having all 8 fans installed

5 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

if noise doesnt matter to you dont bother swapping the fans and save yourself that extra expense.

Overall it doesnt really matter how exactly you configure the fans, as long as there is air flowing you will have good cooling.

You will probably have no difference in temperature between having like two fans in the front and one in the back vs having all 8 fans installed

ok thanks, i wanted to swap them because the Arctic P12 have 56,3CFM and the preinstalled 29,85 CFM both are at really similar noice level. So would changing them make big difference in cooling wise ?

EDIT: Arctic also has better static pressure at 2mm/H2O and preinstalled has 1mm/H2O

no you wont notice any difference, i would just leave everything as is as a start and then if you think your components are running too hot you can still install more fans.

Usually I'd do two fans in the front (top two slot), fan in the back and one fan at the top (back option of the two).

The front back is only needed for a bunch of HDD's, the one above the PSU won't do much good and two fans at the top is usually not needed.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, minibois said:

Wouldn't the bottom fans cool the GPU better? i have GTX 1060

8 minutes ago, radosaurus said:

Wouldn't the bottom fans cool the GPU better? i have GTX 1060

Depends on the cooler type used.

If it is a blower style GPU (pictured below) it'd help, but those are quite uncommon. Those blower style cards intake air via one fan and exhaust it out the back.

With the other type of coolers, a fan on the bottom wouldn't do much if it at all. Those just blow air away and into the card, so introducing another force below might not do much.

Plus, especially the fan slot above the PSU. Either the PSU is fanside up and that fan will just blow air into a fan that is already in the PSU or if it's fan side down, it will just blow air into/out of a metal plate in the PSU.

Blower style GPU (Example):

What's the Difference Between a Blower and an Open-Air GPU Cooler?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

Depends on the cooler type used.

If it is a blower style GPU (pictured below) it'd help, but those are quite uncommon. Those blower style cards intake air via one fan and exhaust it out the back.

With the other type of coolers, a fan on the bottom wouldn't do much if it at all. Those just blow air away and into the card, so introducing another force below might not do much.

Plus, especially the fan slot above the PSU. Either the PSU is fanside up and that fan will just blow air into a fan that is already in the PSU or if it's fan side down, it will just blow air into/out of a metal plate in the PSU.

Blower style GPU (Example):

What's the Difference Between a Blower and an Open-Air GPU Cooler?

Its Asus GTX 1060 with 2 fans. The PSU will be upside down and having its own "enviroment". So i was thinking if the bottom case fans will be intake blowing air at the GPU, If that would get better temps for GPU