Host VPN Server to allow remote access to office LAN

dalekphalm
Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,

The other simple option is to use VPN which is enabled with dedicated IP and NAT firewall. What you simply need to do is to get the IP white listed from the firewall of your office network. In that way whenever you boss try to access the company server/resources, All of his requests would be encrypted under the VPN tunnel and because IP white listing he will be able to access the resources easily.

Business VPN by PureVPN is the one who offer that "secure remote access" solution with secure protocol and encryption technology. You may contact them for more detail.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortuantely (Well, fortunately for me) I no longer work with the boss in said OP. Thus this issue is no longer my concern :P

Hey guys,

I'd like to enable my bosses laptop to access the Office LAN from his home, as if he were on the local LAN.

I believe that a VPN connection can accomplish this, yes?

Some basics:

The office LAN doesn't have a VPN capable router, and I have no budget to get one.

We have several office computers that stay on 24/7, as well as a "Server" (Just a Windows XP Pro machine running a network share).

I'd like to use OpenVPN or something else that is both fairly easy to setup as well as uses SSL (Since my understanding is the other protocols aren't as secure or reliable). His laptop and the server are running Windows XP.

Can I host a VPN Server on the "Server" machine, and a VPN Client on his laptop? If so, will that enable to laptop to act as if it were on the LAN at the office?

The reason for this capability is obvious in just accessing work resources, but also specifically we have a ABB PLC controller that is on the LAN, and he needs to be able to access the LAN to interface with - and program - the PLC controller. When he's ready to download the new program into the PLC, he needs to be on the Office LAN. This is what I'd like to accomplish via a VPN solution.

If anyone can point me to guides or help walk me through the steps, as well as confirm that this is indeed the direction I want to go, that would be great.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Hey guys,

I'd like to enable my bosses laptop to access the Office LAN from his home, as if he were on the local LAN.

I believe that a VPN connection can accomplish this, yes?

Some basics:

The office LAN doesn't have a VPN capable router, and I have no budget to get one.

We have several office computers that stay on 24/7, as well as a "Server" (Just a Windows XP Pro machine running a network share).

I'd like to use OpenVPN or something else that is both fairly easy to setup as well as uses SSL (Since my understanding is the other protocols aren't as secure or reliable). His laptop and the server are running Windows XP.

Can I host a VPN Server on the "Server" machine, and a VPN Client on his laptop? If so, will that enable to laptop to act as if it were on the LAN at the office?

The reason for this capability is obvious in just accessing work resources, but also specifically we have a ABB PLC controller that is on the LAN, and he needs to be able to access the LAN to interface with - and program - the PLC controller. When he's ready to download the new program into the PLC, he needs to be on the Office LAN. This is what I'd like to accomplish via a VPN solution.

If anyone can point me to guides or help walk me through the steps, as well as confirm that this is indeed the direction I want to go, that would be great.

As you are already using windows server, why not use the PPTP VPN feature?

You can also use OpenVPN. I have used it for years on Linux. You would be able to use netfilter/iptables to direct the traffic as needed, im not sure what you would use on Windows though.

If you are able to virtualise it then I would recommend using Linux with OpenVPN and iptables.

if the office PC he uses is actually a PC, a cheap way to go about this is to

-get a router that has VPN Access. something like a Draytek is cheap

- use windows VPN client to establish the connection. - on demand connection

- use the laptop as RDP/RDS client to remote into the desktop Computer at the office.

removes the need to do any server side changes such as RDS licensing, Roaming profiles, GPO etc etc

gives your boss the exact some experience on the laptop as he would have on the desktop PC

• 1 year later...

The other simple option is to use VPN which is enabled with dedicated IP and NAT firewall. What you simply need to do is to get the IP white listed from the firewall of your office network. In that way whenever you boss try to access the company server/resources, All of his requests would be encrypted under the VPN tunnel and because IP white listing he will be able to access the resources easily.

Business VPN by PureVPN is the one who offer that "secure remote access" solution with secure protocol and encryption technology. You may contact them for more detail.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortuantely (Well, fortunately for me) I no longer work with the boss in said OP. Thus this issue is no longer my concern :P

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)