Dark spot on corner of monitor

Charmeleonnz

Hi there,

I have a ViewSonic VX2450 and I have the right corner of the display is a lot darker than the rest of the display, I assume the backlight it dead, but is there anyway to fix this? See attached for photo.

Thanks heaps,

Spoiler

20210126_203207_HDR.thumb.jpg.eb96a00706569f0dadbd290c54fe2000.jpg

17 minutes ago, Charmeleonnz said:

fix this?

tear down  https://forum.level1techs.com/t/backlight-repair-viewsonic-vx2450wm-led-data-warning/98297

possible bad led.  You can try reflowing the solder joints or you may need to replace the actual led if it is dead.  You might be able to find a whole replacement strip on aliexpress,  but you will have to dig around for one.

9 minutes ago, TylerDurden! said:

tear down  https://forum.level1techs.com/t/backlight-repair-viewsonic-vx2450wm-led-data-warning/98297

possible bad led.  You can try reflowing the solder joints or you may need to replace the actual led if it is dead.  You might be able to find a whole replacement strip on aliexpress,  but you will have to dig around for one.

Little out my my skill set to be honest. At that point I might as well get a new monitor. Sometimes if I hit it it can come back for a while lol

2 hours ago, Charmeleonnz said:

if I hit it it can come back for a while

sounds like a bad connection then. Taking the monitor apart is probably harder than reflowing the solder joint on the led.  This is the crap about LED monitors and tv's though, the LEDs are a big failure point.  If you want to make your led tv/monitor last, then turn down the backlight to no more than 60%.  Then adjust the brightness and contrast.  Many people leave the backlight cranked all the way up and only adjust the brightness and contrast or other setting afterwards, others just use the presets, which again leave the backlight cranked all the way up most of the time.

20 hours ago, TylerDurden! said:

sounds like a bad connection then. Taking the monitor apart is probably harder than reflowing the solder joint on the led.  This is the crap about LED monitors and tv's though, the LEDs are a big failure point.  If you want to make your led tv/monitor last, then turn down the backlight to no more than 60%.  Then adjust the brightness and contrast.  Many people leave the backlight cranked all the way up and only adjust the brightness and contrast or other setting afterwards, others just use the presets, which again leave the backlight cranked all the way up most of the time.

Makes sense, well not I stuffed it up more. the other side has now a dark patch. FFS. So the only option would be to replace the LED's basically? Or obviously get a new monitor. I admit it, i left it all the way to 100. To be fair though the monitor is well over 8 years, so not bad considering.

33 minutes ago, Charmeleonnz said:

over 8 years

no, not bad at all.  Sadly I see many new tvs that after only after a year or so start to have dead leds.  I have a 4k 70" Vizio that I picked up for free, and only had to change out the LED strips. ($35) and 4 hours of time, I think yours may just need to be resoldered though.   If you can find a strip on aliexpress, it would probably be around $10 (shipped), which is not bad. or you could just buy a new fancy monitor

2 minutes ago, TylerDurden! said:

no, not bad at all.  Sadly I see many new tvs that after only after a year or so start to have dead leds.  I have a 4k 70" Vizio that I picked up for free, and only had to change out the LED strips. ($35) and 4 hours of time, I think yours may just need to be resoldered though.   If you can find a strip on aliexpress, it would probably be around $10 (shipped), which is not bad. or you could just buy a new fancy monitor

Yeah, thats really annoying that they die after a little over a year. Planned obsolesce I guess. Easier to buy a new monitor tbh, its still usable for now but ill keep an eye out for any monitors. Or try hitting it some more lol. 

Thanks heaps for the helpful advice 🙂