PSU Concerns; 650w 3080 possible?

nickj_j

First some preliminary info,

Budget (including currency):  I am aiming at 2.5k, but I do not mind spending more money as long as it is with good reason.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:  Gaming (modern titles) at 2k144hz, Houdini VFX Simulations (hobby), video editing (hobby)

Current "Rig": Currently running a laptop with 1070 mobile graphics, this will be quite the upgrade!

WIP Parts list: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Storage: HP EX950 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: ASUS TUF 3080 10 GB Video Card

Case, PSU, Cooling: NZXT H1 Mini ITX Case w/ AIO Cooler and 650W Power Supply
Case Fan (3x): Noctua A4x10 PWM 5.24 CFM 40 mm Fan
Custom: DeepCool Fan Hub Control 4PWM Fan Speed Supports Fan with 3Pin/4Pin Cooling FH-04
Custom: 3D Printed Fan Mount for Noctua 

So what is the goal of my build? A pretty small but powerful pc. I had a large pc I built in 2015, and will never use anything that is not mini-itx after how much I despised the size. Laptops are just a waste of money but now that college is almost over I can finally build a mini-itx pc. I have this mostly parted out but I am running into a tough decision. I would like to fit my 3080 and 5900x into the build but the stock PSU in the H1 is a Gold 650watt one. I have been hearing many mixed bits of information on whether it will be okay or not. Some people recommend undervolting, some say its fine at stock. I could always get a 280$ 750w PSU to fit in but that's quite a bit more that I'll gladly not pay if it isn't required.

I used some websites that let me estimate wattage and looked at similar builds but they all undervolt. 

Overall I am just looking for discussion on the situation, and any opinions/information on total power draw from this card. I also haven't done much in the computer world in a while so I am not very aware of how power demand and PSUs work, so any information that might make me more comfortable or concerned with the build would be great.

Here are some resources I have been using to make up my mind:

30XX and H1 compatibility chart

My PCPartPicker list

OT video on 3080 power demand

Thanks!

The PSU that comes with the H1 appears to be a rebranded Seasonic Focus SGX-650, which is by no means a bad PSU, but I'm still going to recommend against it. The ASUS TUF 3080 can pull 475W under load, and the 5900X can pull 133W. I'm not comfortable with less than 50W overhead, especially when the 3080 has big current spikes. I'd follow Nvidia's (and all of their board partners, for that matter) recommendation, and go with a 750W PSU. Really aggravating that you can't just get the case itself, instead of having to buy the whole bundle, but I guess NZXT's gotta NZXT. 

Alternatively, if you've got some extra time to spare, buy everything except a 750W PSU and try out the included 650W one. It won't brick your system if it runs out of power, it'll just shut down the PC. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Unfortunately this build isn't going to work.

1. If you scroll down the case's specifications it links to this the case only supports two very specific 3xxx cards and they are both 3070.
  2. You REALLY don't want a 3080 on a 650W PSU. It's such a power hog that I wish I had gotten a 1000W just to be safe. I've read about people undervolting their 3080 and it crashing in games that use a lot of PhysX assets. Also, this card automatically balances thermals, clocks, and power consumption. It's default non-overclocked state hits 400W under load.

Why not go with a mid tower? You'd be able to use whatever PSU you want, most likely can get a 3080 in there easily, more fan options, etc.

4 minutes ago, WakaDooda said:

Unfortunately this build isn't going to work.

1. If you scroll down the case's specifications it links to this the case only supports two very specific 3xxx cards and they are both 3070.
  2. You REALLY don't want a 3080 on a 650W PSU. It's such a power hog that I wish I had gotten a 1000W just to be safe. I've read about people undervolting their 3080 and it crashing in games that use a lot of PhysX assets. Also, this card automatically balances thermals, clocks, and power consumption. It's default non-overclocked state hits 400W under load.

Why not go with a mid tower? You'd be able to use whatever PSU you want, most likely can get a 3080 in there easily, more fan options, etc.

Mid tower is just too big especially if end up moving a lot. If I cant make a mini ITX I'll probably just go with a laptop again. The compatibility chart at the bottom of my post does show that a few 3080 cards do fit. But I understand that getting the 750w is the better choice.

13 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

The PSU that comes with the H1 appears to be a rebranded Seasonic Focus SGX-650, which is by no means a bad PSU, but I'm still going to recommend against it. The ASUS TUF 3080 can pull 475W under load, and the 5900X can pull 133W. I'm not comfortable with less than 50W overhead, especially when the 3080 has big current spikes. I'd follow Nvidia's (and all of their board partners, for that matter) recommendation, and go with a 750W PSU. Really aggravating that you can't just get the case itself, instead of having to buy the whole bundle, but I guess NZXT's gotta NZXT. 

Alternatively, if you've got some extra time to spare, buy everything except a 750W PSU and try out the included 650W one. It won't brick your system if it runs out of power, it'll just shut down the PC. 

Yeah it is very frustrating, I might go with another case but i'd like to make this work. I guess the 750 watt would be the right choice here. maybe refund it if 650 w ends up being enough ?

this has why i stay away from 3k series size and psu stuff.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

I found this case for you OP. https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Mini-ITX-Computer-SST-SG13B-USA/dp/B07MNC3JCB/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=SG13B&qid=1611645032&sr=8-1

If you are deadset on getting a Mini-ITX, hopefully knowing the downsides, I'd look for portable cases. I'd highly recommend that you ditch the idea all together. With these small factor PCs the thermals are usually terrible and they can be noisy. There are many cases that come with built in carrying handles and are even made to be taken to LAN parties. The higher wattage PSU is a pretty big deal in this case unless you want to significantly lower the 3080's power which would defeat the point of getting a 3080.

Silverstone has a number of sff cases that might work. https://www.silverstonetek.com/product_case.php?bno=35&tb=2&area=en

The Lian-Li PC-TU150 (https://lian-li.com/product/pc-tu150/) is an attractive case that could house an RTX 3080 and 750W+ sfx psu.

Most sff cases support dual slot gpu. The Asus TUF RTX 3080 may be problematic as it is a little wider than that.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.