Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is the ''Barebone'' Computer worth it?

Hey fellow tech fans, I was thinking about the ''Barebone computer'' at CES this year, and remebr seeing it run dota 2, battlefield 4, and so on. I was wondering is it worth it for the price? Would you guys recommend it for 500 bucks or still DIY?

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

For $500 you can get a 6300 and 750 ti

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

Do you mean a barebones kit or one of those dorky miniature computers? 

Error: 410

like an Intel NUC? 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

dorky lol. 

Diamond 5 in League :)

Like a Asrock M8? Or the gigabyte brix thingy.

Prepare for battle in BATTLEFIELD 4! All New Dog tags JUST LIKE THIS:

Whatever it is, this is probably better: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3dvQw

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Like a Asrock M8? Or the gigabyte brix thingy.

The gigabyte brix? why?

heeeeell-no.gif

hell-naw.gif

Main rig on profile

Zephyrus - Windows 7 side rig

Spoiler

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T (undervolted to 1.26v w/ CM 212 EVO), 1x8GB ADATA XPG V1.0 (1600MHz CL9), Asus M4A77TD, 240GB Kingston UV400, 1TB Toshiba 2.5", EVGA GTX 960 SC, Enthoo Pro, Corsair CX750M, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Mac Mini (Late 2014)

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 4278U, 8GB RAM, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO, macOS Monterey, using it with a ViewSonic VX2748

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X 1TB, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 2TB

Agreed,but I would do a 760k, its only $10.

Any more money should probably go towards getting a 8GB kit of ram. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Any more money should probably go towards getting a 8GB kit of ram. 

I guess you have a point there.

I find it funny that people are posing negative things about it, without anybody linking to the thing OP was talking about.

It's because most people are speculating that the barebones kit isn't going to be that good in terms of performance/price. The majority of barebones kits seem to support this. 

The kit, you know like gigabytes mini one

A barebones PC kit is a kit of selected parts such as CPU, MB, PSU, case, where you buy the rest of the parts to complete a PC. Those are good.

A barebones PC like the Gigabyte mini are ok, but like laptops you pay a premium for size. If you need or the form factor appeals to you, then go ahead, if the space and size is not an issue I see no reason for one.

Error: 410

The BRIX is definitely not better than a tower you can build with the money. 

Just noticed I'd actually have more money to play with for configuring a system since the BRIX doesn't come with a copy of Windows.

The BRIX is definitely not better than a tower you can build with the money. 

Just noticed I'd actually have more money to play with for configuring a system since the BRIX doesn't come with a copy of Windows.

Wait.... it doesn't so you plug it in and turn it on and ... nothing boots? 

Wait.... it doesn't so you plug it in and turn it on and ... nothing boots? 

It doesn't come with ram or storage.

It doesn't come with ram or storage.

That... that's really messed up how about the prix pro? Tell me some good news about that?

That... that's really messed up how about the prix pro? Tell me some good news about that?

It's the same situation. 

Why is it messed up? They are barebones systems and how much ram and storage a person uses varies much more than the other parts. 

It's the same situation. 

Why is it messed up? They are barebones systems and how much ram and storage a person uses varies much more than the other parts. 

Well, even though it does say barebones, I thinking of the people who buys this expecting this thing to work but, you got to install ram and a hard drive, which isn't hard to do. though I hope you did your research