Trying to Dual Monitor but not sure how

PwadahTech

I have my main monitor but dont have a second one yet. I want to dual screen with my Laptop in the mean time to i can extend pages to other screen. I'm not sure how to do so though. I tried plugging in an HDMI cable to my main monitor and connecting it to my laptop but it doesnt seem to detect it then I tried connecting the HDMI cable to my Graphics card's HDMI Input from my Laptop and still nothing. My laptop does support a DisplayPort input but im not sure if thats the way im supposed to do it.

Both laptop and main monitor are 144hz if that helps anyone to suggest me an idea. Also my main monitor is of course connected with a display port to my graphics card. 

I just want to dual screen with my laptop in the mean time so If any of you guys can help me that would be amazing!!! 

Thank You!

Are you sure it's a Display Port input and not a normal Display Port output? Because it's very unusual for laptops to have monitor input ports. And without a proper input port, what you're trying to do won't work.

1 minute ago, Medicate said:

Are you sure it's a Display Port input and not a normal Display Port output? Because it's very unusual for laptops to have monitor input ports. And without a proper input port, what you're trying to do won't work.

Well i was talking about my graphcs card havin a display port input, Mightve typed it wrong but yeah my laptop has only an hdmi input it looks like. Can  you help me anyway?

Well first you'll need make sure that it's a proper monitor input port on your Laptop. Then connect a cable from your PC's GPU output to your laptop input (not an output port). At last change the laptop's source for receiving an image to the PC's GPU in the settings of your laptop.