Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best GPU for Gaming and HEAVY rendering

Buckley

I plan on going to college for game design and the college i will be going to says that you should have a good rig for projects and what not. I was looking at the Titan Black since it has the double precision, which i would assume would come in great use. Should i get the titan? what other options are there, that are decently priced ($1000 i think is decently priced since its more oriented towards rendering) and yes of course i will be gaming.

Any opinions?

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

780 if you care about price to performance, if you don't then Titan Black or 2 780s

If you got the money to spend and need that extra kick in boost and 6 gigs of VRAM sure, but If I were you I'll got 780 ti then go with some more memory or a new processor 

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

Titan Black is the best although I doubt a 760 or even 750 Ti would fail to perform as well or better than most if not all of the systems you'll be using on campus. 

To be honest, college game design work is fairly light in terms of rendering.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Mid range, I would say a GTX 770 or 760 would do just fine, for a more professional range I would say a GTX Titan or maybe a 780 or if AMD is cheaper in your country I cant see why a r9 290 wouldnt perform okay.

#Determine if advice was helpful
def was_helpful(advice):
  if advice >= 8:
    return True
  else:
    return False

helpfulness = input("Was I very helpful (1-10)?")
try:
  helpfulness = int(helpfulness)
  if helpfulness < 11 and helpfulness > 0:
    if was_helpful(helpfulness):
      print("Glad I was helpful")
    else:
      print("That's a shame")
  else:
    print("Provide a number between 1-10 next time...")
  except:
    "You did not provide a number"

Titan Black is the best although I doubt a 760 or even 750 Ti would fail to perform as well or better than most if not all of the systems you'll be using on campus. 

To be honest, college game design work is fairly light in terms of rendering.

the college im going to is starting up a game design course next year and they have k6000's for every computer... thats what ive been hearing lol

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

the college im going to is starting up a game design course next year and they have k6000's for every computer... thats what ive been hearing lol

Ask the faculty what the system specs are and what programs are going to be used. 

Some features are workstation card reliant and don't work with consumer cards.

K6000's in every system.. You really want to double check on that because I doubt it unless the college has an absurd amount of money to throw around. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Ask the faculty what the system specs are and what programs are going to be used. 

Some features are workstation card reliant and don't work with consumer cards.

K6000's in every system.. You really want to double check on that because I doubt it unless the college has an absurd amount of money to throw around. 

my friends mom works for the college and she works with funding each course. theyve put over a million dollars into the course. idk whether thats alot or not but she said she had to order 30 of them for the class. hell shes the only reason im going there. if she didnt tell me a few months ago while it was going though the college board or whatever a class has to do to actually become a course, id be going to USC in cali.

system specs are the following - 

CPU - Xeon E5 2620 V2 - $400

Motherboard - ASRock X79 Extreme4 - $210

RAM - 16GB of Patriot Signature 1600MHz - $140

Gpu - PNY Nvidia Quadro K6000 - $5000

$6000ish total for each computer(included other non note worthy parts)(they had them custom built) * 30 = $180,000 in computers alone, then you have to add in all the software...

The systems are being made to last about 10 years, so it is very plausable

my friends mom works for the college and she works with funding each course. theyve put over a million dollars into the course. idk whether thats alot or not but she said she had to order 30 of them for the class. hell shes the only reason im going there. if she didnt tell me a few months ago while it was going though the college board or whatever a class has to do to actually become a course, id be going to USC in cali.

$6000ish total for each computer(included other non note worthy parts)(they had them custom built) * 30 = $180,000 in computers alone, then you have to add in all the software...

Wow, only 30 systems? 

Have you asked for what programs are going to be used?

Wow, only 30 systems? 

Have you asked for what programs are going to be used?

like i said, its a new course, and its going to start of small. im hoping that itll grow as more people start to know about it. but yeah 30 for now, its a small class!

As for programs i have no idea, i wish i knew :/

like i said, its a new course, and its going to start of small. im hoping that itll grow as more people start to know about it. but yeah 30 for now, its a small class!

As for programs i have no idea, i wish i knew :/

Ask and get some info about what renderers you'll be using if possible. It could make the difference between getting a quadro that you might not need and getting a more power consumer gpu instead.

Titans are generally looked at as a entry level compute card with very good gaming performance, you can look into that if you want to start off, later down the road when you acquire more budget you can have a dual GPU set up with a geforce card and quadro card.  

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

Titans are generally looked at as a entry level compute card with very good gaming performance, you can look into that if you want to start off, later down the road when you acquire more budget you can have a dual GPU set up with a geforce card and quadro card.  

..How's it entry level? 

..How's it entry level? 

You have the quadros with it's high price tag and high performance for rendering very heavy work loads, then you have the Titan with it's cheaper price tag and semi heavy work load, that supports a great gaming experience. So it's not really entry actually :\ 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

You have the quadros with it's high price tag and high performance for rendering very heavy work loads, then you have the Titan with it's cheaper price tag and semi heavy work load, that supports a great gaming experience. So it's not really entry actually :\ 

Like..? 

High price does not = high performance

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6774/nvidias-geforce-gtx-titan-part-2-titans-performance-unveiled/3

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-titan-performance-review,3442-10.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFzxNzTFdK0

The systems are being made to last about 10 years, so it is very plausable

Why do you need your own?

A Titan Black is not nearly a Q6000 for rendering. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I know high prices doesn't mean high performance, I have worked in 3D animation and rendering. But that video seems to disprove my point, so nvm. The last time I saw these benches were early titan and 680. 

Why do you need your own? A Titan Black is not nearly a Q6000 for rendering. Correct me if I'm wrong.

im going to need a good card when im  not in the classroom

Why do you need your own? A Titan Black is not nearly a Q6000 for rendering. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You mean k6000 right?

The Titan Black uses the same GK110 chip as the K6000..

It's kind of like comparing the 780 to the Titan. 

You mean k6000 right?

The Titan Black uses the same GK110 chip as the K6000..

It's kind of like comparing the 780 to the Titan.

Yeah oops.

So the titan is better?

Why is the K6000 so much more expensive? Quadro drivers?