Dark Rock 4 or Hyper 212 Black edition

Sport Driver

Hello. I'm buying  CPU cooler for incoming Ryzen 7 5800X. I'm picking between  Be Quiet Dark Rock 4 and CM Hyper 212 Black. CM is 20€ or so cheaper. Worth stretching for Rock? 

PC: R7 5800X, AMD RX480 4GB, 32 GB RAM, 1TB 970 EVO, 500 GB 860 EVO, 500 GB HDD, RM 750 PSU

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 510s 14":  i5 7200U, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB 860 EVO

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 4G

21 minutes ago, Sport Driver said:

Hello. I'm buying  CPU cooler for incoming Ryzen 7 5800X. I'm picking between  Be Quiet Dark Rock 4 and CM Hyper 212 Black. CM is 20€ or so cheaper. Worth stretching for Rock? 

Yes it is better and worth the extra money, so would be others like Noctua's NH-U12 and NH-D15 for example. The Hyper 212 is a fair bit better than AMD's stock cooler master heatsink (the one that came with Zen, Zen+ and Zen 2 processors) but no match against a real tower cooler like the Dark Rock.

Thank you. And if I remember LTT video from few(?) years back there is also no point in going with AIO. Nocuta U12 looks cool but it is a bit more expensive.

PC: R7 5800X, AMD RX480 4GB, 32 GB RAM, 1TB 970 EVO, 500 GB 860 EVO, 500 GB HDD, RM 750 PSU

17 hours ago, Sport Driver said:

Thank you. And if I remember LTT video from few(?) years back there is also no point in going with AIO. Nocuta U12 looks cool but it is a bit more expensive.

The point is aesthetics, generally. If you really like how AIOs look and you're willing to spend more for that reason, that's the point. High-end air coolers like the Dark Rock Pro 4 or various Noctua models tend to be just as effective for less money.

The Dark Rock is in a totally different product class than the Hyper 212. It's more expensive because it's a lot more powerful.

43 minutes ago, typographie said:

The point is aesthetics, generally. If you really like how AIOs look and you're willing to spend more for that reason, that's the point. High-end air coolers like the Dark Rock Pro 4 or various Noctua models tend to be just as effective for less money.

The Dark Rock is in a totally different product class than the Hyper 212. It's more expensive because it's a lot more powerful.

Ok got it. For AIO I have chance to get CM ML 240 RGB for 10€ more than Dark Rock 4 (non Pro). Looks wise I would prefer AIO and I don't care about 10€ more. If I can get better cooling I would go with AIO.

On 1/25/2021 at 2:57 PM, Sport Driver said:

Ok got it. For AIO I have chance to get CM ML 240 RGB for 10€ more than Dark Rock 4 (non Pro). Looks wise I would prefer AIO and I don't care about 10€ more. If I can get better cooling I would go with AIO.

I personally have no preference and I go back and forth between Air and AIO all the time.  Here's my opinion.  I would buy the Dark Rock 4.  Its a premium air cooler, very nice.  Where the Cooler Master AIO is a cheap AIO in terms of build quality.  Premium air vs cheap AIO?  Performance won't be much different either way.  If you could get the Be Quiet Pure Loop, then its premium air vs very nice AIO... both from Be Quiet, but they do put a slightly better fan on their Air Towers.

On 1/25/2021 at 8:57 AM, Sport Driver said:

It depends on your case. If you have a good place to put it and like the aio thr performance between a 240mm and the dark rock 4 will be very similar.. not being thr pro variant the AIO might actually be a tad better.