I cant figure out why my pc is freezing!

Patchmaster

I know this is a long shot. But I also messaged ASUS to see if they had any ideas... although the next step may be windows... as I doubt this can be caused by anything other than Software or Firmware 

13 minutes ago, are512 said:

I know this is a long shot. But I also messaged ASUS to see if they had any ideas... although the next step may be windows... as I doubt this can be caused by anything other than Software or Firmware 

well ever since i changed my ssd yesterday everything seems to be running okay so im not sure whether it could be a bad sector or something

2 minutes ago, Patchmaster said:

well ever since i changed my ssd yesterday everything seems to be running okay so im not sure whether it could be a bad sector or something

Wouldn’t running a ChkDsk on cmd prompt detect that?

Just now, are512 said:

Wouldn’t running a ChkDsk on cmd prompt detect that?

i thought so too! but the amount of tests i ran and everything came back good i thought okay fine but then to actually take it out and the issue seems to have gone is questionable in its own

8 minutes ago, Patchmaster said:

i thought so too! but the amount of tests i ran and everything came back good i thought okay fine but then to actually take it out and the issue seems to have gone is questionable in its own

Is it possible that it could’ve been the connection? Or did you resit the SSD at any point? Because didnt one of us say we reinstalled windows? 

1 minute ago, are512 said:

Is it possible that it could’ve been the connection? Or did you resit the SSD at any point? Because didnt one of us say we reinstalled windows? 

well  i was using an m.2 ssd which has been in there nearly a year no issues but i changed to a sata ssd for now to test it.

it was me who reinstalled windows which was a waste of time

3 minutes ago, Patchmaster said:

well  i was using an m.2 ssd which has been in there nearly a year no issues but i changed to a sata ssd for now to test it.

it was me who reinstalled windows which was a waste of time

Oh so you’re using a SATA as a boot drive now? Interesting, and I made my build in November, but I only started getting the issue in December/January. 

I also got this from ASUS... if you’re issue still persists that is, as I know mine has been temperamental only appearing after a few days of work

Thank you for contacting ASUS Support.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

My name is Arsen and it would be my pleasure to help you the best way I can.

In this case I can advise you to make a CMOS reset of the BIOS by taking out the CMOS battery for 3-5 minutes while the PSU is unplugged. While the power cord from the PSU is still unplugged, press the power button down for 30 seconds to power discharge the unit. Then place the CMOS battery back in, plug in the PSU and try again.

After this go into the BIOS > Advanced Menu > APM Configuration, from here set the ERP Ready to Enable S4 + S5 or Enabled S5 and set the Restore AC Power Loss to Last State and test the motherboard again. 

If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us as we are always here to help.”

Hi this just popped up on my feed with lots of other people with the same issue, sounds like it could be NZXT CAM if you have that? (As I do)

55 minutes ago, are512 said:

Hi this just popped up on my feed with lots of other people with the same issue, sounds like it could be NZXT CAM if you have that? (As I do)

thats actually interesting cause i have had this even when i done a fresh install but not on my new ssd

3 hours ago, Patchmaster said:

thats actually interesting cause i have had this even when i done a fresh install but not on my new ssd

I also use CAM.  But I removed the hub from the system, and did a fresh Windows install.  I did not re-install CAM and still had freezes.  I just had another freeze today so I am swapping out my m.2 drive and am doing another fresh install on a new drive.

6 hours ago, Patchmaster said:

Hmmm that’s a good sign,

but given @1982 Original post,

2 hours ago, 1982 Original said:

I also use CAM.  But I removed the hub from the system, and did a fresh Windows install.  I did not re-install CAM and still had freezes.  I just had another freeze today so I am swapping out my m.2 drive and am doing another fresh install on a new drive.

This is strange.... I guess before you try a new SSD, have you tried the ASUS solution below? I haven’t tried it. But I’m currently waiting for it to happen again after I ran “chkdsk /R /F” to see if that fixed it or not. 

14 hours ago, are512 said:

Oh so you’re using a SATA as a boot drive now? Interesting, and I made my build in November, but I only started getting the issue in December/January. 

I also got this from ASUS... if you’re issue still persists that is, as I know mine has been temperamental only appearing after a few days of work

In this case I can advise you to make a CMOS reset of the BIOS by taking out the CMOS battery for 3-5 minutes while the PSU is unplugged. While the power cord from the PSU is still unplugged, press the power button down for 30 seconds to power discharge the unit. Then place the CMOS battery back in, plug in the PSU and try again.

After this go into the BIOS > Advanced Menu > APM Configuration, from here set the ERP Ready to Enable S4 + S5 or Enabled S5 and set the Restore AC Power Loss to Last State and test the motherboard again. 

If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us as we are always here to help.”

@are512 I read through that whole thread you posted.  I was pretty sure that removing CAM or not installing CAM was one of the steps I took.  I was familiar with CAM's horrible track record, I've been using CAM for years, even still have an original Grid fan hub kicking around.  So, I suspected CAM.  Anyway, I removed my NZXT Smart Device and used Revo Unistaller to burn CAM from the system.  I will give that a shot again just in-case I missed something last time.  I don't think it's a coincidence that we are all CAM users.

On 1/24/2021 at 4:40 AM, Patchmaster said:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070S (Super)
SSD: Adata XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 512GB
SSD: Sandisk PLUS 480GB 
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB 
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB 
MBD: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (MS-7B85)

The past few weeks my pc will randomly just lock up. I can still move the mouse and sometimes maximise windows that are already open but i cannot minimise anything and close anything. The only way to restart is a hard restart as when i try to do it via start menu it just hangs on the spinning circle of restarting. i believe i am hearing a kind of humming noise coming from my pc which kind of goes loud and quiet so to speak, but i have changed my cooler and unplugged my gpu and that still persists. Could this be my PSU and could this be causing my issues?

do you have razer cortex installed, that happened to me, also i heard that vengeance lpx has binning

7 hours ago, LivelyCornet640 said:

do you have razer cortex installed, that happened to me, also i heard that vengeance lpx has binning

For reference my build is this...

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair HERO VIII (WIFI)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700

GPU: AMD Radeon RX6800 (Equivalent to FE) (I know Im surprised I managed to get it too)

PSU: Corsair RM850

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3600MHz (2x16GB)

Storage:

- Samsung 970 EVO 500GB (BOOT SSD)

- Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD (2.5")

- Seagate Firecuda 520 1TB SSD

CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro

Case: NZXT H710i with incl 3x120mm intake fans and 1x140mm exhaust fan

Extras:

- RGB GPU Bracket

- NZXT internal USB extender

- NZXT SMART Device
Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum

Mouse: Corsair RGB Schimitar Pro

Other stuff that’s basically always plugged in:

- Zynq Zybo 7 20 Xilinx Development Board

- STM32 Nucleo M4 ARM Dev board

(Doubt the last two matter, but you never know)

7 hours ago, 1982 Original said:

@are512 I read through that whole thread you posted.  I was pretty sure that removing CAM or not installing CAM was one of the steps I took.  I was familiar with CAM's horrible track record, I've been using CAM for years, even still have an original Grid fan hub kicking around.  So, I suspected CAM.  Anyway, I removed my NZXT Smart Device and used Revo Unistaller to burn CAM from the system.  I will give that a shot again just in-case I missed something last time.  I don't think it's a coincidence that we are all CAM users.

And probably not, but it’s such a perculier symptom to be run from a background piece of software 

well after the news about the cam software yesterday i decided to go back onto my main drive and uninstall and test out stability. So far so good! been about 4 hours and everything seems normal so far before i wouldnt get past 1 hour max. who knows?

22 minutes ago, Patchmaster said:

well after the news about the cam software yesterday i decided to go back onto my main drive and uninstall and test out stability. So far so good! been about 4 hours and everything seems normal so far before i wouldnt get past 1 hour max. who knows?

That sounds good! Keep us posted, but strange yours sounds a lot more frequent than mine, albeit with the same symptoms

Do either of you happen to use “Sleep” mode in Windows?  I do. I was reading that some people blame freeze ups on Sleep mode. One person said they will wake their pc up, get 5 to 10 minutes of normal use, then it will begin to freeze up. 

15 minutes ago, 1982 Original said:

Do either of you happen to use “Sleep” mode in Windows?  I do. I was reading that some people blame freeze ups on Sleep mode. One person said they will wake their pc up, get 5 to 10 minutes of normal use, then it will begin to freeze up. 

never used sleep mode mate

17 hours ago, 1982 Original said:

Yeah I dont either, sorry

lovely i may have cursed myself iv been playing fine for basically 2 days now and bam the exact same freeze situation happens everything slows down until nothing responds. now i really have no clue! the only difference i have is i was watching twitch for the first time since it last froze so maybe that could be a thing?

Yeah mine froze last night, but I was still testing the chkdsk and HDD resit changes I made, I closed CAM last night and didnt have any issues yet... But have you tried to remove CMOS battery and power from the PC, leave it for 5 mins, press the power button etc Basically what Ive got in quotes below... I haven't tried that yet, but it may be able to help possibly?

On 1/25/2021 at 9:33 AM, are512 said:

21 hours ago, Patchmaster said:

lovely i may have cursed myself iv been playing fine for basically 2 days now and bam the exact same freeze situation happens everything slows down until nothing responds. now i really have no clue! the only difference i have is i was watching twitch for the first time since it last froze so maybe that could be a thing?

So, that was a new ssd and no CAM?

17 hours ago, are512 said:

Yeah mine froze last night, but I was still testing the chkdsk and HDD resit changes I made, I closed CAM last night and didnt have any issues yet... But have you tried to remove CMOS battery and power from the PC, leave it for 5 mins, press the power button etc Basically what Ive got in quotes below... I haven't tried that yet, but it may be able to help possibly?

i have cam with no problems, try reinstalling it