"You're screen is blurry" when playing video games at 4k even though nothing is blurry at all?

Mark Kaine

What is this? I did click on "don't do anything and stop bothering me" (or some such) because it *additionally* kept making warning sounds in the background lol... 

Just curious, is this somehow avoidable? 

And why does it even happen... it makes no sense... I'm using Nvidia DSR and it's *never* done this when I play at 1440p (down sampled obviously) but 4k is suddenly not ok and "blurry"?? 😂 

Anyways everything seems to be okay now, except the icons in the task bar on the right side (where Afterburner, NVCP etc is) is very weird now, like it has the wrong spacing... I checked everything is still set to 1080p (my monitor's resolution) but these icons seem to be displaying like they probably would on a 4K screen, so question is will this go away when I restart (can't right now, uploading video) or can I change it back manually (probably not)?

Also, I'm really curious, why does this even happen? it's of no concern to Windows how I set my GPU's DSR settings lol (and as said it never complained about 1440p) 🤔

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

23 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

What is this?

I am confused as to what you are doing... you are playing a game at 1440p, with DSR to 4K, on a 1080p monitor?

What are your DSR Factors and Smoothness settings?

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

25 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

What is this

You really need to clarify your questions, long winded with little information isn't going to be helpful solving your problem. 

What it sounds like is you have a 1080p screen, were running 1440p Nvidia dynamic super resolution (dsr) and the icons looked alright but now that you have gone to 4k dsr everything is blurry and the spacing is all off. 

Windows cares about your resolution because it hass text smoothing, anti aliasing for icons and controls window sizing and scaling of programs. By using Nvidia DSR you are screwing with the way all of that is being displayed. The blur is coming from 4 pixels of colour info being sent to a single display pixel causing windows to choose which pixel data to use. When it's just 1440p there is on a 50%chance windows will pick wrong. 

Your best option is to run 1080p in Windows and use dsr within game settings for supported titles 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

21 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

You really need to clarify your questions,

33 minutes ago, The1Dickens said:

am confused as to what you are doing

Ok. 

Game. 

DSR > 4k

*everything is working perfectly fine, 60fps*

*Windows (in the background with additional alarm sound)* > "your screen is blurry, should we fix it?"  [repeatedly, non stop] 

it literally makes no sense to me either, but it's what happened - and I'd really like too know why - and what was possibly changed. 

21 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

Your best option is to run 1080p in Windows and use dsr within game settings for supported titles 

I agree and I've never done anything else. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Ok I get now what is happening... but not why or how to fix it. 

So if I play this game (Tekken 7) at 4k dsr resolution, in full screen because I only play in full screen so I haven't tested other options, windows instantly thinks it's set to 4k resolution, even though it isn't, it's still just 1080p because nvidia dsr let's the desktop resolution alone... 

I only figured that out because when I edit 4k video with built in editor it keeps the 4k resolution, it would usually convert to 1080p, its native resolution no matter what. 

And the only way to "fix" it seems to restart windows. 

EDIT: while this is really an annoying issue, I think it's kinda funny this gives me a way to edit 4k videos in the photo app, it still converts 60 fps to 30fps, but at least it keeps the resolution! 😄

Btw I've decided to just play in 1440p *for now* as the difference isn't that big and this weird scaling issue is just annoying. I still hate that windows even gave me these continuous "false warnings" whoever thought that was a good idea should probably not work with software ever again. (honestly, *if* you already need to give out weird warnings like that maybe one would be enough instead of continously spamming it?) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity