I'm not certain if I can install this SSD, help?

Citrusflavour01

Recently I ordered this sata SSD and only now I found out that according to this site I can upgrade to a PCIe M.2 2280 SSD. I am quite confused because I haven't heard of this type of SSD before and I'm doubting my laptop can even use this. My Laptop's system model is GL553VD and I will leave my specs down below if it helps. The current SSD that I have installed is a Sandisk Z400s 120GB M.2 SSD.

CPU

Intel Core i7 7700HQ @ 2.80GHz 
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology

RAM

16GB (32 max to be installed)

Graphics

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (ASUStek Computer Inc)

Upgrade in the making

MY CURRENT PC - GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro V2 | Ryzen 9 5900X | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB 3200MHz C16 | RTX 3070 Ti VENTUS 3X | 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4.0 NVMe | 1TB SAMSUNG 980 NVMe 3.0 | RM750x Corsair | Corsair iCUE H150i Elite CAPELLIX | Corsair iCUE 7000X RGB 

3 minutes ago, Citrusflavour01 said:

Recently I ordered this sata SSD and only now I found out that according to this site I can upgrade to a PCIe M.2 2280 SSD. I am quite confused because I haven't heard of this type of SSD before and I'm doubting my laptop can even use this. My Laptop's system model is GL553VD and I will leave my specs down below if it helps. The current SSD that I have installed is a Sandisk Z400s 120GB M.2 SSD.

CPU

Intel Core i7 7700HQ @ 2.80GHz 
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology

RAM

16GB (32 max to be installed)

Graphics

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (ASUStek Computer Inc)

The m.2 configuration is a confusing one. The M.2 interface has several options, as illustrated in this image:

793d32bfe7674ebc995893a8af3661f8.jpg

The nVME is faster than the Sata version, but the Sata version is still plenty fast.

You'd have to examine your motherboard's interface to see which connection types it has, but if it can use nVME then it should be able to see Sata

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

The GL553VD supports both SATA and NVMe SSDs in its M.2 slot. 

Typically, NVMe drives aren't much more expensive than SATA drives now, so I'd advise looking at moving to an NVMe drive instead. The Adata SX8200 Pro would be my recommendation for a good performer at a reasonable price. 

There's an article here showing a NVMe drive installed in a GL553VD:

https://www.geeks3d.com/20170213/gl553vd-updated-with-a-samsung-nvme-ssd-960-pro-m-2-512gb/