Choppy 8K video playback on RTX 2080 Ti

AramAz
Go to solution Solved by RZeroX,

2080TI doesn't have AV1 support for video decoding only supported on 30 series

Hello,

I can't seem to play 8K videos without getting paused or choppy every 2 3 seconds.

I have a RTX 2080 Ti, and a Core i7-4790K with 24 gb ddr3.

Internet speed is at the very minimum 450 Mbps down and the same for up.

I tried with Chrome and Firefox and in both the "Use hardware acceleration is definitely enabled".

But it seems that CPU is bottle-necking which makes me think it's not using the GPU efficiently.

This is an example video I was testing with:

4K youtube Video

A little info about the youtube video, in 4K it show a VP-9 codec being used but in 8K it is this:

image.png.e4c8b8ecfa022fabf9035570c8c3f84c.png

image.thumb.png.a91abb067298925b3fc2eb605e03c02c.png

Alternatively if I open an 8K video in MPC it runs smoothly with no lags:

Nasa footage from space 8K

image.thumb.png.7bacc5d9482964bd1deb81de88cb4941.png

If someone has any experience with this I appreciate pointing out what can be done to resolve this.

Thanks!

This is your CPU. It can't keep up with the high amount of data you're putting through the pipeline, while also doing the rest of the processes on the system.

Main PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | RAM:Corsair LPX 3200 mhz (16Gb) 

Mobo:ASUS Strix B550-F Wifi | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z

Case: Sharkoon Nightshark RGB| Storage: 500 GB 970 EVO Plus 1 TB WD blue 500 GB Samsung HDD

Monitor: iiyama G-Master G2470HSU-B1 165Hz

Powersupply: Be Quiet straight Power 10 500 watt

Main Laptop

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H | RAM: Team group 16 GB 2666 mhz

GPU: RTX 2060 (MXM swappable)

Monitor: 1080p 120Hz

Storage: 2x 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (no raid)

Second Laptop

CPU: Intel Core I5 1235u,  RAM: Samsung 8 GB 3200 mhz

GPU: IrisXe 80 eu

Storage: 512 GB WD Digital SN530 NVMe

Phone:

Xiaomi MI 11

Work Phone:

Galaxy A50

1 minute ago, Wolly9102 said:

This is your CPU. It can't keep up with the high amount of data you're putting through the pipeline, while also doing the rest of the processes on the system.

how so?

If that was the case it would have been unable to play the 8k video in MPC smoothly. There isn't a lot of disk activity either so I don't think the CPU is the bottleneck. But thanks.

1 minute ago, RZeroX said:

2080TI doesn't have AV1 support for video decoding only supported on 30 series

this makes a lot of sense, I literally just updated the post to include that information and I saw your response. So I guess I'm out of luck then.

Upgrading the CPU and / or GPU should fix it.

Thanks

well I hate to tell you this but your cpu can't keep up with yt 8k playback, simply. 

keep in mind 8k isn't a widespread standard yet and codecs yt uses might be a bit "experimental" still. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

25 minutes ago, AramAz said:

If that was the case it would have been unable to play the 8k video in MPC smoothly

Playing in a dedicated video player will send the stream straight to the GPU. Playing in a web browser the player applet will run some stuff on the CPU and clog the processing. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

47 minutes ago, AramAz said:

this makes a lot of sense, I literally just updated the post to include that information and I saw your response. So I guess I'm out of luck then.

Upgrading the CPU and / or GPU should fix it.

Thanks

Do you have an 8k display or something? Otherwise it's pretty darn pointless. Almost nobody has any 8k capable display anyways so there will be little optimizations for streaming playback yet. Basically 4k youtube all over again in the beginning. Nowadays you can play it without a hitch on devices that could not play back 4k yt at all in the beginning.

49 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Do you have an 8k display or something? Otherwise it's pretty darn pointless. Almost nobody has any 8k capable display anyways so there will be little optimizations for streaming playback yet. Basically 4k youtube all over again in the beginning. Nowadays you can play it without a hitch on devices that could not play back 4k yt at all in the beginning.

Pretty much... I knew a guy who loved playing "4k" video on his 768p laptop... 

However, thanks to youtubes incredibly awful compression algorithms 4k down scaled to for example 1080p looks actually much better than native 1080p due the higher bitrates used. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 9 months later...

I have the same problem, and I have 2060 super. I was able to play 8k videos on youtube without any problems, than something happened, a driver update or something else, I'm not sure what it is, but now I have the same problem as you are, and everything else is working fine, the games are working the same as they were before, so it is not the hardware but the software or some change in settings/options. And the reason I like to play 8k videos on 4k monitor is because they look much better than 4k videos, like the person above me said. And important thing to mention is that I did not have any hardware change in my system. I have ryzen 3600, 16g ram and 2060 super.