29 year old struggling to feed himself seeking employment in IT

15 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Some times you have to take what you can get. 

That all being said. My buddy has a Associates in Web design. However he currently works in IT for a major Insurance company. Specifically works on their Linux team. I know that he has had several call center jobs. Thats generally the way in the door. He actually started as a call center rep at his current employer, as a contract to hire position. He eventually got hired and worked his way to where he is. Has several certs, some he got while at other jobs and some he got while at his current. 

Try looking at Temp/Staffing agencies. Lots of employers go that route to find employees. My company for instance exclusively uses temp agencies to find both permanent and temp workers. That actually how I got hired in where I work, was thru a temp agency.  

"Some times you have to take what you can get." truer words have never been spoken. I'm expanding my search to include different avenues such as temp agencies. In the past temp agencies only got my warehouse work. General labor. Never thought of it as a path to something worthwhile. 

On 1/21/2021 at 4:56 PM, Radium_Angel said:

How are you webmaking/coding skills? I may have a job for you

I learned the basics of HTML and C#. Wrote a few programs. Designed a VERY basic website. Beyond that, not much. The school I was learning from ended up being kinda shady and got shut down

On 1/21/2021 at 2:59 PM, Voluspa said:

Don't be afraid to look into other industries. Here in mining, people are retiring faster than being hired. In a time with as much unemployment as is going around mining, mechanics, timber, etc are all short people. 

6 minutes ago, PhoenixFire22588 said:

"Some times you have to take what you can get." truer words have never been spoken. I'm expanding my search to include different avenues such as temp agencies. In the past temp agencies only got my warehouse work. General labor. Never thought of it as a path to something worthwhile. 

This isn't necessarily directed ONLY at you. Labor industries are more worth it than people realize. I wince when people think you HAVE to have an 8 year degree and 200k in debt before you start a job to get a well paying job. This is with taking 12 weeks off last year without pay. Using 17 days of PTO and working 3 weeks on 3 off for the 9 months I did "work" last year. I work in a warehouse out at a mine. I'm actually on the clock right now.

Spoiler

image.png.bd78e8eb36c97390e1f409e843ec95c5.png

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

5 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

This isn't necessarily directed ONLY at you. Labor industries are more worth it than people realize. I wince when people think you HAVE to have an 8 year degree and 200k in debt before you start a job to get a well paying job. This is with taking 12 weeks off last year without pay. Using 17 days of PTO and working 3 weeks on 3 off for the 9 months I did "work" last year. I work in a warehouse out at a mine. I'm actually on the clock right now.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.bd78e8eb36c97390e1f409e843ec95c5.png

Thats not what I meant. Its more about me being... less than physically fit and not built for a long term physically demanding position lol. I'm severely underweight. I worked at Amazon for a while and it was great money, great benefits, PTO, the whole nine.... but it murdered me lol

Just now, PhoenixFire22588 said:

Thats not what I meant. Its more about me being... less than physically fit and not built for a long term physically demanding position lol. I'm severely underweight. I worked at Amazon for a while and it was great money, great benefits, PTO, the whole nine.... but it murdered me lol

I'm like 170 cm and 73 kg. 5 8 and 160 for us non Metric kids. Mining especially. It's all equipment operating. For me, when I have heavy stuff. Grab a forklift and move it. The heaviest I lift at work is probably 31kg, 70 lbs. I have a bad shoulder from an accident here, got smashed by some hydraulics, messed up my sternum, ribs and scapula. I have 2 bad hips from National Guard. Mining isn't physically demanding at any modern mine. Drive a dump truck in circles all day, or load a dump truck with a mucker all day. We have a guy here who is driving truck while he's on a feeding tube from throat cancer.

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

6 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

I'm like 170 cm and 73 kg. 5 8 and 160 for us non Metric kids. Mining especially. It's all equipment operating. For me, when I have heavy stuff. Grab a forklift and move it. The heaviest I lift at work is probably 31kg, 70 lbs. I have a bad shoulder from an accident here, got smashed by some hydraulics, messed up my sternum, ribs and scapula. I have 2 bad hips from National Guard. Mining isn't physically demanding at any modern mine. Drive a dump truck in circles all day, or load a dump truck with a mucker all day. We have a guy here who is driving truck while he's on a feeding tube from throat cancer.

God damn... You got feeding tube frank operating heavy machinery? Tough times indeed... Well thank you for the insight. We'll call that "Plan C" lol These replies have helped me stay focused and fueled my brain storming. Yall are some good folks 🙂

1 minute ago, PhoenixFire22588 said:

God damn... You got feeding tube frank operating heavy machinery? Tough times indeed... Well thank you for the insight. We'll call that "Plan C" lol These replies have helped me stay focused and fueled my brain storming. Yall are some good folks 🙂

Now the response my old man would have gave me....

If you have time for web browsing and video games, then you have plenty of time to focus on getting work. Doesn't matter what it is.

So log off LTT forums and go get a job already. Feed yourself. Do something about it. Posting here, won't feed your belly son.

God damn... You got feeding tube frank operating heavy machinery? Tough times indeed... Well thank you for the insight. We'll call that "Plan C" lol These replies have helped me stay focused and fueled my brain storming. Some good folks 🙂

The only reason I brought it back up..... Mining is switching to automation. If you can deal with the time from home or have one near you entry level mining IT jobs are mostly "Yeah, that's broke. We'll order you a new computer." But every mine has an IT department and as it gets more automated IT and mechanics for mining will be expanding. If you can get a camp job, or rotation job (work 14 days have 14 days off) you make more in the long run because of how overtime works out. For example, starting wage here is $17. On a 3 and 3 that ends up being like $70,000ish a year. For working half the year then having half the year being long weekends.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, Voluspa said:

The only reason I brought it back up..... Mining is switching to automation. If you can deal with the time from home or have one near you entry level mining IT jobs are mostly "Yeah, that's broke. We'll order you a new computer." But every mine has an IT department and as it gets more automated IT and mechanics for mining will be expanding. If you can get a camp job, or rotation job (work 14 days have 14 days off) you make more in the long run because of how overtime works out. For example, starting wage here is $17. On a 3 and 3 that ends up being like $70,000ish a year. For working half the year then having half the year being long weekends.

Makes sense. Automation will eliminate some jobs and create others. And that sounds crazy easy compared to a lot of other IT positions lol

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Now the response my old man would have gave me....

If you have time for web browsing and video games, then you have plenty of time to focus on getting work. Doesn't matter what it is.

So log off LTT forums and go get a job already. Feed yourself. Do something about it. Posting here, won't feed your belly son.

Posting here gives me guidance in my job search that has hit a wall recently. Web browsing is how you find opportunities and connect with people. "Networking" if you will. Tell your old man to get with the times lol. Thanks for the dose of Red Foreman though. We all need him now n then.

3 minutes ago, PhoenixFire22588 said:

Makes sense. Automation will eliminate some jobs and create others. And that sounds crazy easy compared to a lot of other IT positions lol

https://jobs.newmont.com

https://jobs.barrick.com

https://www.coeur.com/company/careers/

https://www.hecla-mining.com/careers/

There's many other mining companies. You can apply at individual mines or main company with most mining corps. That's just a few that have jobs in many places. I didn't go through to see what they had for IT jobs, but might be worth a glance. 

https://www.ncmachinery.com/careers

https://cummins.jobs

https://demanddetroit.com/our-company/careers/

Here's some that are more about the equipment and equipment parts. They won't be rotation work and you'd most likely have to relocate to where their jobs are.

All in all, this is more of a quick list. Sandvik, Atlas Copco, Caterpillar etc could also be looking. If you got any questions about mining/camp life/etc feel free to DM me. 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, Voluspa said:

https://jobs.newmont.com

https://jobs.barrick.com

https://www.coeur.com/company/careers/

https://www.hecla-mining.com/careers/

There's many other mining companies. You can apply at individual mines or main company with most mining corps. That's just a few that have jobs in many places. I didn't go through to see what they had for IT jobs, but might be worth a glance. 

https://www.ncmachinery.com/careers

https://cummins.jobs

https://demanddetroit.com/our-company/careers/

Here's some that are more about the equipment and equipment parts. They won't be rotation work and you'd most likely have to relocate to where their jobs are.

All in all, this is more of a quick list. Sandvik, Atlas Copco, Caterpillar etc could also be looking. If you got any questions about mining/camp life/etc feel free to DM me. 

Thank you! What country are you in? Obviously not USA (props btw. count your blessings lol)

Thank you! What country are you in? Obviously not USA (props btw. count your blessings lol)

Kind of USA, kind of Canada, kind of Russia. Alaska. 

Oil fields up here depending on future...policies... would be looking too. Conoco, BP, Chevron etc.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just now, Voluspa said:

Kind of USA, kind of Canada, kind of Russia. Alaska. 

Oil fields up here depending on future...policies... would be looking too. Conoco, BP, Chevron etc.

I see. You defaulted to metric so I was curious. I imagine you travel a lot then? 

6 minutes ago, PhoenixFire22588 said:

Posting here gives me guidance in my job search that has hit a wall recently. Web browsing is how you find opportunities and connect with people. "Networking" if you will. Tell your old man to get with the times lol. Thanks for the dose of Red Foreman though. We all need him now n then.

Oh, you are very welcome. XD

Sounds like you are searching for a career that you should have started in a decade ago.

If really "starving" a McDonalds job would put coin in your pocket and you can eat discounted crap food and gain weight for that warehouse position you're waiting for. 

I see. You defaulted to metric so I was curious. I imagine you travel a lot then? 

Mining defaults to metric and so does the rest of the world. I'm 27, got into mining at 19. All our equipment is metric. Hoses, bolts, nuts. Even our drilling and loading is done on a 4m depth and spacing. 

I personally don't travel over seas a lot. I'm at this mine until it shuts down. I got my retirement job. You can work over seas, SEA, Africa, South America. Lots more money, but can be dangerous. You could look in Australia too. They "pay" about the same, but because of exchange rates you don't make that much comparatively. Same with Canada. Once this mine shuts down eventually, I'll go over seas for a year or two if the old lady will allow it, pay off the house and truck and be good by 40. 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Oh, you are very welcome. XD

Sounds like you are searching for a career that you should have started in a decade ago.

If really "starving" a McDonalds job would put coin in your pocket and you can eat discounted crap food and gain weight for that warehouse position you're waiting for. 

Thats how 2020 started for me after spending 3 months sleeping in the dirt during peak pandemic paranoia :). I did my time and now im in a position to pursue something long term and stable. There comes a time when you have to choose between a roof over your head or food in your stomach. 

Just now, Voluspa said:

Mining defaults to metric and so does the rest of the world. I'm 27, got into mining at 19. All our equipment is metric. Hoses, bolts, nuts. Even our drilling and loading is done on a 4m depth and spacing. 

I personally don't travel over seas a lot. I'm at this mine until it shuts down. I got my retirement job. You can work over seas, SEA, Africa, South America. Lots more money, but can be dangerous. You could look in Australia too. They "pay" about the same, but because of exchange rates you don't make that much comparatively. Same with Canada. Once this mine shuts down eventually, I'll go over seas for a year or two if the old lady will allow it, pay off the house and truck and be good by 40. 

Yeah I was gonna elaborate on that but decided not to. Everyone uses metric except the USA. Its simpler and just all around better for like 95% of things lol

2 minutes ago, PhoenixFire22588 said:

Thats how 2020 started for me after spending 3 months sleeping in the dirt during peak pandemic paranoia :). I did my time and now im in a position to pursue something long term and stable. There comes a time when you have to choose between a roof over your head or food in your stomach. 

If it helps, camp jobs pay for your food while you're at them and the roof over your head while you're at them 😉

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, PhoenixFire22588 said:

I've been in those shoes before. Think it was Taco Bell and then landscraping that bailed me out actually. Homeless at least twice in my life. Jumped into a career at 21 years old after a self realization that criminal activity and drinking and driving had landed me in lock up. The earth was then my bed. Pops wouldn't even talk to me, Moms said you made your bed now lay in it. Pandemic aside, it can happen to anyone at any time. 

6 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

If it helps, camp jobs pay for your food while you're at them and the roof over your head while you're at them 😉

Dont worry you have been quite helpful, my man 🙂

5 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I've been in those shoes before. Think it was Taco Bell and then landscraping that bailed me out actually. Homeless at least twice in my life. Jumped into a career at 21 years old after a self realization that criminal activity and drinking and driving had landed me in lock up. The earth was then my bed. Pops wouldn't even talk to me, Moms said you made your bed now lay in it. Pandemic aside, it can happen to anyone at any time. 

That's exactly what brought me to Alaska.... A fresh start. In high school, pretty much my only rule was to not have the cops bring me home. They did a couple of times, but because of the stuff I did, my record was cleaned when I turned 18. 

@PhoenixFire22588Everyone has rough times. It's all about how you bring yourself up after you're down. I'm much better off for my "down time." 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

4 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

That's exactly what brought me to Alaska.... A fresh start. In high school, pretty much my only rule was to not have the cops bring me home. They did a couple of times, but because of the stuff I did, my record was cleaned when I turned 18. 

@PhoenixFire22588Everyone has rough times. It's all about how you bring yourself up after you're down. I'm much better off for my "down time." 

Absolutely! You never have more time to self reflect than when you're on the street with nothing but time and zero comfort. It's been a painful climb but I'm all the better for it and thankful for the experience. 

1 hour ago, PhoenixFire22588 said:

past temp agencies only got my warehouse work.

I work in a warehouse. But I get medical, dental, vision, 401K and I earn 5 hours of PTO each paycheck for up to 10 hours a month. With up to 240 hours max. When we meet our accuracy goals they reward us with lunch. I recently got a $600 bonus which is $200 more than we got in 2019. 

Like I said, some IT positions are contract to hire. It’s just how it is. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

10 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I work in a warehouse. But I get medical, dental, vision, 401K and I earn 5 hours of PTO each paycheck for up to 10 hours a month. With up to 240 hours max. When we meet our accuracy goals they reward us with lunch. I recently got a $600 bonus which is $200 more than we got in 2019. 

Like I said, some IT positions are contract to hire. It’s just how it is. 

Oh yeah dont get me wrong im not knocking warehouse work at all. Ive done a lot of it and its good pay and benefits for really easy labor. I'm just seeking a career that I'll be happy with and more fulfilling in the long term. Looking at my future is all.