Which firewire pcie card? Startech vs LaCie

So my current one is a cheap 4 quid one and crashes all the time.

So I see on google there's LaCie ones and theres a startech one. Which out of these two is better? Both the same price (used)

Thanks

1 minute ago, The Torrent said:

So my current one is a cheap 4 quid one and crashes all the time.

So I see on google there's LaCie ones and theres a startech one. Which out of these two is better? Both the same price (used)

Thanks

I've used the startech ones for years without issues...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Do you have a pci e slot for an SAS controller, the clock on sas makes file io timing much higher quality through put with sometimes as high 50 GB clock speed for address should work on non server as long as it is a reg work station, just set Network reg current users to SAS and set an address  it then makes it easier to use for cheaper portable usb hdd and ssd 225 500 GB  GB patches as long as the disks have an sas id also good to password protect your files, sounds dumb but easier to organize just label your hdd's and use 1-5 at a time store in plastic cases and boxes ps sas hashing is much faster in particular 256 bit sha though i stilluse my firewire for linking my laptop to the pc

I’m more curious about why FireWire is even wanted.  It’s a grotesquely obsolete format.  It’s actually slower than usb 3.0.  The only purpose for it I could see would be to be able to use legacy hardware that only connects with it.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I’m more curious about why FireWire is even wanted.  It’s a grotesquely obsolete format.  It’s actually slower than usb 3.0.  The only purpose for it I could see would be to be able to use legacy hardware that only connects with it.

You answered you own question

1 hour ago, The Torrent said:

You answered you own question

If the answer is legacy hardware compatibility  the problem gets much more complicated than simply getting a “better” card. The problem is legacy hardware is legacy. The crashing problem you have may not be dependent on the card, but rather the fundamental nature of FireWire in a win10 environment.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

If the answer is legacy hardware compatibility  the problem gets much more complicated than simply getting a “better” card. The problem is legacy hardware is legacy. The crashing problem you have may not be dependent on the card, but rather the fundamental nature of FireWire in a win10 environment.

Firewire works fine in windows 10 for many people, I'm 99 percent sure my card is dodgy.

On 1/21/2021 at 5:49 PM, The Torrent said:

Firewire works fine in windows 10 for many people, I'm 99 percent sure my card is dodgy.

The problem with win10 is the driver situation.  Windows likes to update itself without warning these days, and when it does  it may or may not erase the old driver you had and replace it with a new one that doesn’t.   This is what happened to my old monitor.  30” wuxga 144hz from 2013 was a helluva monitor once upon a time. It used only dual link dviD though.  No other options possible.  One day win10 decided it was out moded and the thing is now effectively junk. I actually made the even older 1080p 60hz hdmi monitor it replaced work.  So the even older monitor now sits in front of the larger one.  I can’t seem to make myself throw the thing out.  It was just too nice.  It’s STILL pretty good.  It would cost $400 to replace.

Edited by Bombastinator

41 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The problem with win10 is the driver situation.  Windows likes to update itself without warning these days, and when it does  it may or may not erase the old driver you had and replace it with a new one that doesn’t.   This is what happened to my old monitor.  30” wuxga 144hz from 2013 was a helluva monitor once upon a time. It used only dual link dviD though.  No other options possible.  One day win10 decided it was out moded and the thing is now effectively junk. I actually made the even older 1080p 60hz hdmi monitor it replaced work.  So the even older monitor now sits in front of the larger one.  I can’t seem to make myself throw the thing out.  It was just too nice.  It’s STILL pretty good.  It would cost $400 to replace.

It seems extremely likely windows would delete your old driver and that you wouldn't be able to find a legacy driver online.

What driver was it? Shall I take a look?

2 hours ago, The Torrent said:

It seems extremely likely windows would delete your old driver and that you wouldn't be able to find a legacy driver online.

What driver was it? Shall I take a look?

This is what happened to me.  The monitor in question is a crossover.  South Korean grey market.  A bit like driving a Nissan skyline in the United States.  It can be done but it’s wildly rare.   There are probably modern drivers that exist somewhere in the rabbit warren that is crossover’s website but the entire thing is in Korean. 

8 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

This is what happened to me.  The monitor in question is a crossover.  South Korean grey market.  A bit like driving a Nissan skyline in the United States.  It can be done but it’s wildly rare.   There are probably modern drivers that exist somewhere in the rabbit warren that is crossover’s website but the entire thing is in Korean. 

oh thats unfortunate,

I'm using an RME Fireface 800 and we all know what rme are like with their drivers so i shouldn't have any issue.

Theres so many different brands on ebay though it gets confusing.