Dimming when there is movement in a dark scene.

murnco

When there is movement on my monitor in a dark scene with a lot of black the scrolling background often goes dim and then pops back in when stops moving. See the attached video for example. This happens on all my monitors but is most prevelant on the new 144hz 1440p ViewSonic i just got.  What is this phenomenon called and can it be stopped or minimized? None of the settings on my monitor seem to change it's behavior, as well as the resolution or framerate etc. Also happens in other games as well. Mostly notice with 2D darker scrolling games. 

looks like motion blur to me, which is either a game setting that may or may not is changeable, or caused by the monitor which some monitors have an option to reduce the effect. 

ps: it looks really weird in your video, especially because it doesn't seem to always happen - you can still try to change some settings either in game or the monitor itself. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

It happens whenever there is movement but only bright things on dark backgrounds. I have a ViewSonic monitor that is a VA panel and on the cheaper side. So I suspect this is the "Ghosting" effect? There is a Response Time option and I don't see much difference between Std Adv and Ultra.