Best wifi usb key out there? For gaming, low ping, steady connexion

matrixmodulator

Best wifi usb key out there? For gaming, low ping, steady connexion

I have a linksys AE2500 right now, it's ok but disconnects sometimes...

I don't want to go crazy expensive...  just a really good one.

I googled it but i know people here are very knowledgeful

Thanks

I owned 3 different USB WiFi dongle from 3 different company

All 3 overheats(?) if I continuously pull 20mbps on them for more than ~20-30 minutes or so, and they disconnect

Will have to unplug and plug them back in in order for them to be functional again

And one of them just died one day while doing light loads

So I generally don't recommend usb WiFi dongles if you want stability, but they are convenient for normal use like web browsing or diagnosing stuffs.

As for ping and such, it depends on your WiFi strength more than adapters as they most likely operate near the limit imposed (100mW of energy for transmitter)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

to be honest, i also agree with moonzy, ive used a couple as well, even if it does work, they usually die within 6 months at best. if you're using a laptop and have no other choice, i would consider a nighthawk, but if you're desktop, go with a pcie card. you can spend less and get more out of it. if your laptop can accomadate a wifi card, just get an intel ax chip.

13 hours ago, shinegull said:

to be honest, i also agree with moonzy, ive used a couple as well, even if it does work, they usually die within 6 months at best. if you're using a laptop and have no other choice, i would consider a nighthawk, but if you're desktop, go with a pcie card. you can spend less and get more out of it. if your laptop can accomadate a wifi card, just get an intel ax chip.

Don't have any pci card anymore, maybe if i remove the usb expansion card..

13 hours ago, Moonzy said:

All 3 overheats(?) if I continuously pull 20mbps on them for more than ~20-30 minutes or so, and they disconnect

Will have to unplug and plug them back in in order for them to be functional again

So I generally don't recommend usb WiFi dongles if you want stability, but they are convenient for normal use like web browsing or diagnosing stuffs.

As for ping and such, it depends on your WiFi strength more than adapters as they most likely operate near the limit imposed (100mW of energy for transmitter)

Ah ok, thanks, thats exactly whats happening, its hot when i unplug and plug it back in because it disconnected.

13 hours ago, Moonzy said:

Which pci wificard would you recommend then?

46 minutes ago, matrixmodulator said:

Which pci wificard would you recommend then?

I would get something around the $50-100 CAD personally, i.e. TP-Link AX3000. Asus also has those as well,  but they reach to about $100-120.

Those usually come with an option of an antenna that can be reposition for a couple dollars more.

I would post ac cards as well, but considering that they are only about $10 difference (for me). it doesnt seem really worth it to go anything lower. It helps that my family also have a lot of devices that are wifi 6 capable.

1 minute ago, shinegull said:

I would get something around the $50-100 CAD personally, i.e. TP-Link AX3000. Asus also has those as well,  but they reach to about $100-120.

Those usually come with an option of an antenna that can be reposition for a couple dollars more.

I would post ac cards as well, but considering that they are only about $10 difference (for me). it doesnt seem really worth it to go anything lower. It helps that my family also have a lot of devices that are wifi 6 capable.

Thanks !!!

Probably get this one

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/dissipateur-Adaptateur-ultra-faible-Archer-TX50E/dp/B089FCX3C3/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_fr_CA=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=AX3000&qid=1611178156&sr=8-4

3 minutes ago, matrixmodulator said:

great, just remember to install any drivers that you may need as well. if possible, i would try to pull it from their site instead of whatever it comes with. ive noticed that they have a tendency to quietly update their drivers

Just now, shinegull said:

great, just remember to install any drivers that you may need as well. if possible, i would try to pull it from their site instead of whatever it comes with. ive noticed that they have a tendency to quietly update their drivers

yes of course