Is it possible to have 6 sata HDDs and an msata cache drive with the z87 chipset?

adinsx
Go to solution Solved by Ssoele,

Port 6 is turned off when an mSATA SSD is used.

So I was looking at this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131998

It has 6 sata ports on the intel chipset, and an msata port on that same chipset. It is possible to use an ssd on the msata port as a cache for the drives on the sata connections. But is it possible to run a full 6 sata drives and still have an msata cache drive? Because the z87 only has 6 sata ports. So that leads me to suspect this is an either/or kind of thing: 5 sata + 1 msata or 6 sata.

using an msata with the 6 sata ports should be fine

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

So I was looking at this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131998

It has 6 sata ports on the intel chipset, and an msata port on that same chipset. It is possible to use an ssd on the msata port as a cache for the drives on the sata connections. But is it possible to run a full 6 sata drives and still have an msata cache drive? Because the z87 only has 6 sata ports. So that leads me to suspect this is an either/or kind of thing: 5 sata + 1 msata or 6 sata.

from what i can see from the pictures, this Mobo has actually 10 SATA ports. if it works like my MSI, port 6 should set istelf off when using the msata port, so you still get 9 SATAs out of 10 to use.

but do take this with a grain of salt, it's the word of a noob lol

from what i can see from the pictures, this Mobo has actually 10 SATA ports.

4 of the sata ports are on a different chipset (Marvell PCIe 9230), and can't use the msata for cache no matter what (as the msata is on the z87 chipset).

if it works like my MSI, port 6 should set istelf off when using the msata port, so you still get 9 SATAs out of 10 to use.

Ok, so this hints that I would only be able to set up 5 drives to be cached by the msata.

Ok thanks. I figured as much.

But it has 10 sata ports? you could still connect 6 drives and use the msata ssd just one of them might run on the alternative chipset which supports 4 sata drives

or am I wrong

6 x SATA 6Gb/s by Intel Z87
4 x SATA 6Gb/s by Marvell PCIe 9230

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

But it has 10 sata ports? you could still connect 6 drives and use the msata ssd just one of them might run on the alternative chipset which supports 4 sata drives

or am I wrong

6 x SATA 6Gb/s by Intel Z87

4 x SATA 6Gb/s by Marvell PCIe 9230

I could connect 6 drives, but at least one of them would have to be on the Marvell chipset, and therefore could not be raided with the other drives (in hardware at least), nor could it be cached by the msata. I was thinking about doing a 6x hdds in raid 10, with an msata ssd cache drive. But that isn't possible. If I wanted a cache drive, at best I could get 5x hdds in raid 5.