How come when I'm playing a game my cpu frequency is at 3.0 when it is supposed to be at 3.6 when I'm playing fortnite how do I fix my cpu downclockin

My cpu keeps on downclocking when I play fortnite it's supposed to be 4.1 or 4.3 but goes to like 3.0 when I'm playing how do I fix. I have a i3 10100f and a gtx 1060 3gb.

Either doesn't need more, or throttling down under load either due to thermals or power, can't say much more without the whole system info.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

8 minutes ago, Adrianthegoat said:

My cpu keeps on downclocking when I play fortnite it's supposed to be 4.1 or 4.3 but goes to like 3.0 when I'm playing how do I fix. I have a i3 10100f and a gtx 1060 3gb.

8 minutes ago, Adrianthegoat said:

Is it because intel speedstep.

3 minutes ago, Adrianthegoat said:

Is it because intel speedstep.

Nope, EIST only kicks in when the CPU is idle, once the CPU is under load its power state changes and EIST stops working.

What is the usage of your CPU while in game?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Nope, EIST only kicks in when the CPU is idle, once the CPU is under load its power state changes and EIST stops working.

What is the usage of your CPU while in game?

20 to 40 but I want high speeds all the time to get more fps

1 minute ago, Adrianthegoat said:

If you're only using 20-40% then your cpu doesnt need to run faster. There is more to a fast CPU than clock speed, some old celerons can go up past 10Ghz but you wont get minecraft on one

8 minutes ago, greekninjahamster said:

If you're only using 20-40% then your cpu doesnt need to run faster. There is more to a fast CPU than clock speed, some old celerons can go up past 10Ghz but you wont get minecraft on one

But yo dont understand I'm getting low fps and drops because of my low cpu speed.

2 minutes ago, Adrianthegoat said:

But yo dont understand I'm getting low fps and drops because of my low cpu speed.

What is your GPU usage when in game?

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 minutes ago, Adrianthegoat said:

You still did not specify what system you have exactly. If it's a laptop then low end ones often can't fully power both CPU and GPU at the same time, so they downclock the CPU to give more of the available power to the GPU.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

You still did not specify what system you have exactly. If it's a laptop then low end ones often can't fully power both CPU and GPU at the same time, so they downclock the CPU to give more of the available power to the GPU.

Do they do low end laptops with GTX 1060s?

Probably not, but still useful to have the whole specs. Temperatures were never mentioned either.

F@H

GPD Win 2

30 minutes ago, Adrianthegoat said:

If your CPU load is only 20-40%, then a faster CPU isn't really needed. If more CPU speed was needed, it would run at 100% already. So it's possible your GPU is the limit rather than your CPU. You should probably monitor the usage of both, alongside with temperatures to see if you're being thermal throttled.

~edit: You may also want to look at individual cores rather than overall usage. Because an overall CPU load of 40% on a multi-core CPU could mean that a single core is at 100% and thus limited.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

8 hours ago, Adrianthegoat said:

goes to like 3.0

When setup properly, the Core i3-10100F can run indefinitely at 4000 MHz. Intel gave these CPUs a 65W TDP rating. At default settings, they will throttle and slow down. 

The most likely cause of your CPU slowing down is that the turbo power limits are set to their default values. Go into the BIOS and increase both the long and short turbo power limits. 

You did not include in your first post what motherboard you are using so I cannot tell you where to find this setting. If you cannot find this setting, run ThrottleStop, open the TPL window and set your turbo power limits appropriately.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/throttlestop-9-2-9.276365/

8OpkEDW.png

If this does not solve your problem, turn on the Log File option and run a log file while gaming. When finished your game, exit your game and then exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. It will be located in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder. Before you start logging, go into the Options window and check the Nvidia GPU box so it can log both your CPU and GPU performance. The log file will include any reasons for throttling. Attach one to your next post if you need help understanding what this log file is telling you.

10 hours ago, Kilrah said:

I have a gtx 10603gb oc and a i3 10100f and I have a msi b460m-pro it's a desktop

2 hours ago, unclewebb said:

When setup properly, the Core i3-10100F can run indefinitely at 4000 MHz. Intel gave these CPUs a 65W TDP rating. At default settings, they will throttle and slow down. 

The most likely cause of your CPU slowing down is that the turbo power limits are set to their default values. Go into the BIOS and increase both the long and short turbo power limits. 

You did not include in your first post what motherboard you are using so I cannot tell you where to find this setting. If you cannot find this setting, run ThrottleStop, open the TPL window and set your turbo power limits appropriately.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/throttlestop-9-2-9.276365/

8OpkEDW.png

If this does not solve your problem, turn on the Log File option and run a log file while gaming. When finished your game, exit your game and then exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. It will be located in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder. Before you start logging, go into the Options window and check the Nvidia GPU box so it can log both your CPU and GPU performance. The log file will include any reasons for throttling. Attach one to your next post if you need help understanding what this log file is telling you.

I have a msi b460m-pro 

6 hours ago, Adrianthegoat said:

I have a msi b460m-pro 

Did you look in the BIOS yet to see what your turbo power limits are set to? Did you try increasing them? If you want maximum performance when gaming, they both need to be increased.

I was reading hardware u boxed tests and they indicated the power limit increase doesn't even affect i5 or i3 - they both stay under the 65w spec either way even at full power.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.techspot.com/amp/review/2033-intel-core-i3-10100/

I can't speak from experience, but I will be getting an i3-10100 and an H410 board soon to test.

Under heavy AVX workloads you’re looking at a package TDP of 64 watts, so the 10400 sneaks in there and won’t trip any power limits. So to clarify, power limits enforced or not, the Core i5-10400 will deliver the same performance on all H410, B460 and Z490 motherboards. Thus the only performance advantage seen in more expensive Z490 motherboards will be through memory overclocking.

With that out of the way, it goes without saying that the Core i3-10100 also comes in under the 65W TDP envelope, reaching just 41 watts in an AVX accelerated core-heavy workload. That doesn't mean the CPU is only consuming 41 watts -- that’s not how TDP ratings work, but we won’t get into that here -- we’ve discussed how Intel and AMD’s TDP ratings are defined in the past, the point we need to make is simply that motherboard type or quality won’t influence performance for these parts.

Where this can become a problem is for the Core i7 and Core i9 models, but that’s a review for another day.

The Core i3-10100 runs an all-core clock speed of 4.1 GHz with a max single core frequency of 4.3 GHz. Using the included box cooler it peaked at just 61C in our Blender stress test and ran reasonably quiet.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

7 hours ago, Adrianthegoat said:

I have a gtx 10603gb oc and a i3 10100f and I have a msi b460m-pro it's a desktop

What is the gpu load when gaming? 100%? If so, that's why the cpu is downclocking.