BIOS Problems and Windows 10 Corrupted

ItsMums

So my friends pc recently just got corrupted the other day out of nowhere. He was playing games, woke up the next day and his windows 10 doesn’t work. We’ve tried literally everything I can think of.

For some clarification, we found his files and drives still on the pc but we found this from the troubleshoot/ repair screen. It doesn’t let him hard reset it. It fails to uninstall any recent updates. And worst of all. It doesn’t detect USB devices with windows 10 installation files on.

His keyboard and mouse don’t work until he gets to the troubleshoot/repair screen - meaning we can’t F11 into boot settings despite the keyboard being lit up. And when we try to enter the UEFI settings from the screen it takes us there. But his mouse and keyboard just stop working. They are both wired USB devices so I personally don’t know why they wouldn’t work. And his keyboard still works on certain settings but were a bit lost here if anyone has any ideas.

Summary - Windows 10 GG’d itself and is unrepairable and BIOS doesn’t work because keyboard and mouse won’t work on the settings. Obviously we need BIOS to work to change the boot priority to the new windows installation USB

Any help/ advice is appreciated

does the computer have PS/2 ports and do you happen to have a PS/2 keyboard handy? 

USB keyboards, especially those crazy complicated RGB keybaords like corsair makes, can be a real pain in the butt in the BIOS, even if you have a modern motherboard. 

She/Her

7 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

does the computer have PS/2 ports and do you happen to have a PS/2 keyboard handy? 

USB keyboards, especially those crazy complicated RGB keybaords like corsair makes, can be a real pain in the butt in the BIOS, even if you have a modern motherboard. 

Nah neither of us do. What’s the difference between them?

5 minutes ago, ItsMums said:

Nah neither of us do. What’s the difference between them?

PS/2 is tied directly into the main I/O BUS where as USB has to go through a controller. PS/2 is desirable because it just works and if your PS/2 devices stop working then you have a VERY serious problem.

Have you tried a CMOS reset? Might kick the BIOS back into life at least so you can navigate it properly.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

PS/2 is tied directly into the main I/O BUS where as USB has to go through a controller. PS/2 is desirable because it just works and if your PS/2 devices stop working then you have a VERY serious problem.

Have you tried a CMOS reset? Might kick the BIOS back into life at least so you can navigate it properly.

Sorry I’m a bot when it comes to computers. What’s a CMOS reset and how do I do it