Should I manually update Visual C++ drivers?

suha04

Hello guys!

I have too much spare time on my hands, so I installed Driver Booster just to check what drivers should I update, and so far, everything went smooth, but now, I have to start updating them manually, because it's pay to win 馃槢

However, The only things left for me to update are Windows files, and, I mean, should I? The Windows Update is up-to-date, and I have no idea how to update Visual C++ because there are tons. Should I just download the ones with the described year and architecture?

Help me out, please!

EDIT: Should I get Microsoft XNA too?

Visual.png

No, basically you need specific versions instead of the "newest". So whenever you install something it'll install the redist version it needs automatically. No need to add clutter by installing them manually.

Just now, arrrgh said:

No, basically you need specific versions instead of the "newest". So whenever you install something it'll install the redist version it needs automatically. No need to add clutter by installing them manually.

Okaaay, that makes sense. What about XNA?

7 minutes ago, suha04 said:

I installed Driver Booster just to check what drivers should I update, and so far, everything went smooth, but now, I have to start updating them manually, because it's pay to win

yet more proof all driver installer programs are a scam, borderline or actually malware.

7 minutes ago, suha04 said:

However, The only things left for me to update are Windows files, and, I mean, should I? The Windows Update is up-to-date, and I have no idea how to update Visual C++ because there are tons. Should I just download the ones with the described year and architecture?

The Microsoft Visual C++ files come from you installing other programs, including games.

These often rely on certain functions within these libraries, thus needing them to function. There is very much no need to update them, as these are the versions you need for the programs you use.

8 minutes ago, suha04 said:

Should I get Microsoft XNA too?

XNA.. Now that's something I haven't heard about in years. That's something used to develop certain games, but hasn't been supported in a good couple years (not since 2010 or 2013 I think).

Same applies as above. No need to update, you get a version you need for a program.

Just as an FYI/PSA: don't use driver updater programs. You either have drivers that work, or update them manually. Really the only driver you update manually will be your videocard driver.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses:聽https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards work:聽https://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

13 minutes ago, minibois said:

yet more proof all driver installer programs are a scam, borderline or actually malware.

The Microsoft Visual C++ files come from you installing other programs, including games.

These often rely on certain functions within these libraries, thus needing them to function. There is very much no need to update them, as these are the versions you need for the programs you use.

XNA.. Now that's something I haven't heard about in years. That's something used to develop certain games, but hasn't been supported in a good couple years (not since 2010 or 2013 I think).

Same applies as above. No need to update, you get a version you need for a program.

Just as an FYI/PSA: don't use driver updater programs. You either have drivers that work, or update them manually. Really the only driver you update manually will be your videocard driver.

Thank you so much for your help!

For one, those aren't drivers. They are libraries used by software. For two, driver updater software will make things look crazy outdated in order to sell you full version. For me it showed Windows PnP drivers needing updating. Non-techy user would have been shitting themselves when updater tells you that you have drivers from early 00s there.

And for three, you actually don't need to update most of the drivers. GPU is the only one, and that only if you have fairly new card and play new games or otherwise need up to date optimization. Rest of the drivers are "don't fix until broken" type. They rarely get meaningful security updates, usually its just small stability and compatibility fixes.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

14 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

For one, those aren't drivers. They are libraries used by software. For two, driver updater software will make things look crazy outdated in order to sell you full version. For me it showed Windows PnP drivers needing updating. Non-techy user would have been shitting themselves when updater tells you that you have drivers from early 00s there.

And for three, you actually don't need to update most of the drivers. GPU is the only one, and that only if you have fairly new card and play new games or otherwise need up to date optimization. Rest of the drivers are "don't fix until broken" type. They rarely get meaningful security updates, usually its just small stability and compatibility fixes.

Thank you for telling me, now聽 I don't have to shit myself in the future!