Dolby Atmos/DTS:X with 4k 120Hz HDR

masonan96
Go to solution Solved by Stahlmann,
47 minutes ago, masonan96 said:

Okay I was worried that the HMDI 2.1 was unable to deliver 4k 120hz HDR with 5.1.2 sound based on bandwidth limitations. If not, then yeah its an easy solution. I won't be using a sound bar but I can use the eARC port on a Audio Receiver. 

Good to know about the TV having upscaling on board, I will run a 5e cable up to the TV then and just use it's built in upscaling and streaming services. Saves me a few hundred dollars. 

Thanks! 

Happy to help!

The bandwidth is nothing you have to worry about. 48Gbit 2.1 is enough for 4K 120Hz 12-bit HDR and eARC all at the same time. And even the 40Gbit the CX has is enough for 4K 120Hz 10-bit HDR with eARC.

So long story short, I am moving into a tiny home converted school bus full time. This means, minimal space, minimal internet. My Solution;

LG 48" CX - TV/Monitor for space saving plus OLED (maybe next gen, hopefully without the tumor on the back) 

Nvidia Shield Pro - 1080p Stream to 4k with AI Upscaling to save internet usage (streaming video). 

Gaming PC upgrade to RTX 3080 (HMDI 2.1) - Requirement

My problem is Dolby Atmos/DTS:X.. I want "good" surround (5.1.2) without a soundbar; It is a bus and so I will not be moving the room around, therefore the audio system is hard wired through the walls to the top firing(2), rear firing(2), front firing speakers(3), and sub(1). 

I am not sure if it is just me but these are my issues.;

1) I cannot figure out a way to keep 4k 120Hz HDR from the PC to the TV and get 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos/DTS:X to a Audio Receiver (downloaded content or gaming) 

2) Also, the Shield needs to connect to the same Audio Receiver with 5.1.2 (normal streaming services) 

Initially I thought of using TOSLINK from the PC, a USB to TOSLINK converter for the Shield, and a TOSLINK switch. It turns out TOSLINK can only do 5.1, so no good for Dolby Atmos/DTS:X. 

Any input appreciated! Thanks! 

I run my setup like this:

PC -> TV (via HDMI 2.1)

TV -> Atmos Soundbar (via HDMI 2.1 eARC)

This way i have a single cable running from my PC to my TV (LG C9 OLED), and a then use the audio passthrough on the TV to get my audio to my soundbar (Samsung HW-Q80R). In windows i can just enable "Dolby Atmos for Home Theater" in the sound settings and i can see my soundbar reporting that it's receiving an Atmos signal.

Just use another "HDMI in" to plug in the Shield and you should be fine.

EDIT: Also the LG C-Series OLED TVs have very good upscaling on-board, so a Shield isn't really neccesary. I can barely tell a difference between 1080p 1440p or 4K on my TV when watching movies or shows through streaming services.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

19 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

I run my setup like this:

PC -> TV (via HDMI 2.1)

TV -> Atmos Soundbar (via HDMI 2.1 eARC)

This way i have a single cable running from my PC to my TV (LG C9 OLED), and a then use the audio passthrough on the TV to get my audio to my soundbar (Samsung HW-Q80R). In windows i can just enable "Dolby Atmos for Home Theater" in the sound settings and i can see my soundbar reporting that it's receiving an Atmos signal.

Just use another "HDMI in" to plug in the Shield and you should be fine.

EDIT: Also the LG C-Series OLED TVs have very good upscaling on-board, so a Shield isn't really neccesary. I can barely tell a difference between 1080p 1440p or 4K on my TV when watching movies or shows through streaming services.

Okay I was worried that the HMDI 2.1 was unable to deliver 4k 120hz HDR with 5.1.2 sound based on bandwidth limitations. If not, then yeah its an easy solution. I won't be using a sound bar but I can use the eARC port on a Audio Receiver. 

Good to know about the TV having upscaling on board, I will run a 5e cable up to the TV then and just use it's built in upscaling and streaming services. Saves me a few hundred dollars. 

Thanks! 

47 minutes ago, masonan96 said:

Thanks! 

Happy to help!

The bandwidth is nothing you have to worry about. 48Gbit 2.1 is enough for 4K 120Hz 12-bit HDR and eARC all at the same time. And even the 40Gbit the CX has is enough for 4K 120Hz 10-bit HDR with eARC.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.