Whats weapon do you prefer (AMD/Nvidia)

MzCatieB

Then why quote my post then? I only said I preferred NVIDIA because of certain features and quoting that post basically means you're throwing your opinion at me. You could've just posted your opinion without quoting since it'll to so people misunderstanding.

Again, read my post when I'd quoted you, did I attack your views or you personally? Did I insult you in any way? I merely quoted you because I wanted to show a contrast of views, yours and mine.......I'd not even think you'd object since I didn't say anything directly related to your post. I'd mentioned BL2 because the PhysX work can be done by the CPU (assuming one's CPU is beefy enough for it), I did not mention CUDA because, to some, it's necessary.....I think Photoshop uses it. IF I were to quote and attack you, believe me, I'd be so in your face about it. So, tell me again, how was my quoting you an attack? Please, elaborate.....

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

I'd probably stick with Nvidia, great experience and when talking about IRL stuff (What's an outside?) the power consumption/noise are important factors (IMO)

Again, read my post when I'd quoted you, did I attack your views or you personally? Did I insult you in any way? I merely quoted you because I wanted to show a contrast of views, yours and mine.......I'd not even think you'd object since I didn't say anything directly related to your post. I'd mentioned BL2 because the PhysX work can be done by the CPU (assuming one's CPU is beefy enough for it), I did not mention CUDA because, to some, it's necessary.....I think Photoshop uses it. IF I were to quote and attack you, believe me, I'd be so in your face about it. So, tell me again, how was my quoting you an attack? Please, elaborate.....

I didn't say you were attacking my post. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but I just wondered why you only quoted my post when there are several others who said the exact same thing as I did. When I said that "no offense to AMD" on my original post, I already know that PhysX can be offloaded to the CPU. I just like having the particle effects without putting the load to my CPU. I agree that the current AMD cards beat the NVIDIA ones, aside from Titan, it's just my preference.

i dont dislike nvidia, i just always spend my money on amd cards. maybe cos my first gaming gpu was amd, 

I have both NVidia and AMD cards, and my personal preference has always been AMD. PhysX isn't as important as some would have others believe, besides, PhysX can be offloaded to the CPU as in the case of BL2. Sure, the enhanced effects is nice, but not necessary if you have hardware not capable of it. Also, NVidia has this thing about proprietary hardware/software (much like Apple). Before Batman AA came out, AA was a given on both cards, no game dev restricted AA to just one card, but Lo and behold, AA ran with ONLY NVidia cards......AMD cards were locked out of it. Many NV fanboys said NV had a right to do that because they'd worked with the game dev to get AA working on the U3 engine. Now, AMD worked closely with Crystal Dynamics on TR with TressFX, did they lock NV cards from using this tech? No, TressFX was available to both brands as long as the cards were capable of DirectCompute.....would NV have done the same if the roles were reversed? Hence, my dislike for the way NV does things, it hasn;'t stopped me from buying their cards, but I certainly am not that fond of them. 

Agreed 100%. This is one of the reasons I plan to buy AMD next time around; it's a matter of principle. NVidia's approach hurts the industry as a whole; we really should not encourage proprietary implementations which render differently depending on what brand of hardware you buy; it would be different if AMD's hardware wasn't capable of running PhysX but clearly that's not the case.  Everyone remember when Half Life 2 came out and was the first game with realistic physics simulation; imagine how terrible it would have been if for instance it only worked properly on Intel CPUs?

For the same reasons I'm glad that AMD has won the race for next-gen consoles. Because I feared if Nvidia had won they may have pushed some proprietary tech which may have spilled over into the PC gaming industry giving them an advantage there as well. Now I know that AMD are not saints and I can't predict how they will behave in the future; but this is just based on what has been happening in the last few years. 

We need some more AMD love in here, but seriously I go for what is the best bang for buck (NZ prices are a bit different that in the USA).

FX8120 @ 5.0GHz | Sabertooth 990FX | Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB @ 2133MHz | Powercolor HD7950 @ 1300/1800 | Bitfenix Shinobi XL Modded | Corsair AX850 | Mushkin 120GB & Seagate 2TB | Bitfenix Recon | 5X SP120 PE | 6X Yate Loon 120mm HS

Koolance 200 Res | 2X Koolance 360 Rads | Danger Den CPX Pro | EK 7950 Block | Koolance CPU Block | Bitspower & XSPC Fittings

Green Machine

usually nvidia but if amd makes more sense i will get amd like for budget builds amd is pretty good. i dont hate amd. i just always get nvidia 

AMD makes faster cards for a better Price/Performance plus bundles a heap of AAA games.

Antec 100, Msi 870 G45, Asus Xonar DGX, Creative Inspire T10 2.0, Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D, 4gb Corsair ram, Gigabyte HD 7850, AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, 500GB WD Caviar Black, Cooler Master RX 460, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

Nvidia ... cuz of built in physX 

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I've pretty much stuck with NVIDIA, no offence to AMD. I personally like having PhysX in case a good game comes along to take advantage of it like Borderlands 2 or Batman: Arkham City. CUDA is a bonus whenever I need some rendering horsepower.

No offence but CUDA and Physx are dead.

Antec 100, Msi 870 G45, Asus Xonar DGX, Creative Inspire T10 2.0, Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D, 4gb Corsair ram, Gigabyte HD 7850, AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, 500GB WD Caviar Black, Cooler Master RX 460, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

GreenTeam! because i have been burned by AMD i've had 4 gpus die on me all AMD and ive had 9 NVIDIA cards and they all still work

[THE TITAN]

CASECorsair C70 (BLACK+RED Leds) | CPU:  i7 3930k | CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i | MOTHERBOARDASUS Rampage IV Formula | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB | SSD: SAMSUNG 840PRO (512GB) | 

HDD: Western Digital Black (2TB)+(2TB) GPUGTX TITAN X2 IN SLI | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | SOUND CARD: Xonar Phoebus | MONITORS: ASUS PB278Q X3 IN NVIDIA Surround |

GreenTeam! because i have been burned by AMD i've had 4 gpus die on me all AMD and ive had 9 NVIDIA cards and they all still work

That's user error not AMDs fault.

That's user error not AMDs fault.

1 All the AMD cards i had died within 1 month

2 They were not overclocked

3 I don't blame AMD i think that i have just had bad luck with AMD, i have built rigs for friends with AMD cards and they are still working 3 years later so i don't think its my fault, 

And by your picture and last comment i am guessing your a AMD fan, But personally i like NVIDIA, That doesn't mean we have to fight over which is better because its all up to preference at this point

[THE TITAN]

CASECorsair C70 (BLACK+RED Leds) | CPU:  i7 3930k | CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i | MOTHERBOARDASUS Rampage IV Formula | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB | SSD: SAMSUNG 840PRO (512GB) | 

HDD: Western Digital Black (2TB)+(2TB) GPUGTX TITAN X2 IN SLI | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | SOUND CARD: Xonar Phoebus | MONITORS: ASUS PB278Q X3 IN NVIDIA Surround |

whats your weapon of choice when building a desktop?

Nvidia, I think it's just a matter of how much you like the brand, if you grew up and everybody told you AMD was better, you would believe them, even if you see some benchmarks where the Nvidia scores more... They both are good

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz (cooled by Corsair H110) Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | GPU: ASUS GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB + 3 x WD Black 500GB  + WD Black 1TB + WD Black 2TB + Kingston V300 120GB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 660W Monitors: 3 x Iiyama ProLite XU2390HS-1 Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum Mousemat: Steelseries QcK Heavy (40x45) Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II Speakers: Logitech Z906

1 All the AMD cards i had died within 1 month

It's the math that proves you are not telling the truth. Take a high fail rate AMD Radeon HD board partner like Powercolor even in say 1000 GPUs sold 4 fail cards would be extreemly high failer rate and for one person to recive 4 fail cards in a row in just mathimatically impropable and highly unlikly.

Nvidia, I think it's just a matter of how much you like the brand, if you grew up and everybody told you AMD was better, you would believe them, even if you see some benchmarks where the Nvidia scores more... They both are good

Everyone told me that Ati Radeon HD was teribble and then I tried one and it was great.

No offence but CUDA and Physx are dead.

Nearly all profession software requires CUDA for acceleration. NVIDIA is still the leader in the professional and enterprise market hence the importance of CUDA..

Also, no fanboy-ism please. No need to bash on others. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and preferences so don't force to decide for them. Also, try to add a counter argument for you stance instead of just saying "you're wrong", "it's dead" etc.

i used purely amd for a long while because thats what gave the best performance for my budget at the time but when i can afford it i go with nvidia, i love the green team and im a sucker for physx, borderlands 2 ftw! lol

It's the math that proves you are not telling the truth. Take a high fail rate AMD Radeon HD board partner like Powercolor even in say 1000 GPUs sold 4 fail cards would be extreemly high failer rate and for one person to recive 4 fail cards in a row in just mathimatically impropable and highly unlikly.

Not in a row, i had one fail, bought a Nvidia one built a amd system for a friend, got another nvidia got a amd card failed, built another amd system, stayed with nvidia for 4 generations and then this gen wanted to go amd again it was doa and now im back on nvidia, but also built a amd gaming rig for my brother this gen, i was just saying that i PERSONALLY have had bad luck with amd you calling me a lair and saying that it was my fault that my cards failed is immature and classic fanboy talk

[THE TITAN]

I've had AMD, ATi then, and nVidia cards over the years, and I can honestly say that neither has failed on me.....during the given warranty period that is. I'd had an MSI HD3870 X3 fail on me (within a week of purchase) due to crap fan, took it to the local distributer in my neck of the woods and was given a new replacement card right away. I recall having my Abit FX5900 OTES fail on me, RMA'ed it and it was returned to me all fixed up. I'd gotten the FX5900 because, back then, it was the rage to flash those badboys to FX5950 speed, which I did and it was pure sex. But, over the years, I have always preferred AMD (ATi) over nVidia, perhaps the first bad mutha of a card I'd owned was the revered 9700Pro, it replaced an Abit 4200 Ti 128MB non-OTES vid card, which in itself was a great gaming card back then.......the 9700Pro took my breath away, and I've always chosen ATi (AMD) over nVidia since. Mind you, that hasn't stopped me from getting top end (then) nVidia cards, like the 6800Ultra and 7950 GX2, and the two GTX670 in SLi I have in my 2nd rig. I try to look at best bang and performance, with emphasis on performance.....

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

I'd say I'm with Red at the moment due to price/performance but I tend to go Green for the CUDA cores.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I'm bigraphixual.

So Christmas OC Edition?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Nearly all profession software requires CUDA for acceleration. NVIDIA is still the leader in the professional and enterprise market hence the importance of CUDA..

Also, no fanboy-ism please. No need to bash on others. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and preferences so don't force to decide for them. Also, try to add a counter argument for you stance instead of just saying "you're wrong", "it's dead" etc.

Only Adobe dropped CUDA like it's hot and went to open sourse OpenCL.