[Solved] Games keep minimizing when playing with DSR

RS_Cypher
Go to solution Solved by RS_Cypher,

I just did a clean restart (so basically a restart in safe mode) to see if the problem persists. Turns out the problem was fucking MSI Dragon Center. Pardon my french but that POS software is causing nothing but trouble. If I didn't need it to control the RGB lighting I would throw it right off my harddrive.

So it seems my problem is fixed for now. Thank you anyways

Hey all

I recently got a RTX 3090 and thought to myself "why not use DSR to play in quasi 4k instead of my native 1440p resolution". Only problem is that games keep minimizing to the task bar whenever I start them with a DSR resolution set.

I don't play all my games in 4k and where the native resolution of 2560x1440 is chosen, the game starts and runs perfectly fine. 

Reinstalling the display driver has not made any difference.

What is odd is that in Kingdom Come: Deliverance it sometimes starts without minimizing but then there is no more sound as soon as I am in the main menu. The sound returns when I alt-tab out of the game and then back in. However this causes a "minimizing-loop". If I'm lucky the game stays open but 90% of the time it keeps minimizing on it's own.

I'm really not sure what the problem might be. Disconnecting my second monitor also didn't make a difference..

Edit: I just did a clean restart (so basically a restart in safe mode) to see if the problem persists. Turns out the problem was fucking MSI Dragon Center. Pardon my french but that POS software is causing nothing but trouble. If I didn't need it to control the RGB lighting I would throw it right off my harddrive.

Edited by RS_Cypher
Solution found

I'm using DSR a lot, and it's hella buggy especially when starting a game or exciting (it randomly rearranges windows and stuff - even windows that aren't even open) but usually, after starting up it works basically flawlessly. 

I've not encountered your problem but the thing is it's different for every game, so either it's simply a driver bug or the games you're playing don't work well with DSR - tho I kinda doubt that because as said I've not encountered this at all yet in a variety of games - its sometimes buggy, yes, but minimizing issue, no. 

Did you try DDU and reinstall drivers? 

Also try Studio drivers if that doesn't fix it (pro tip ;)) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Sorry for not answering earlier.

It really seems that DSR is kind of buggy with all the flashing the screen goes through and the rearranging of icons (actually had to install a tool that saves my icon positions because it would reset them each time...) when starting a game with DSR.

Games that I'm using DSR on and that keep minimizing are Nioh and Kingdom Come: Deliverance. I'll have to test other games to see if they also act strange.

I've reinstalled the display drivers several times. Each time with DDU but no luck, unfortunately.

I'll try the studio drivers. Could they cause other problems or are they basically the same as the "normal" drivers?

I just did a clean restart (so basically a restart in safe mode) to see if the problem persists. Turns out the problem was fucking MSI Dragon Center. Pardon my french but that POS software is causing nothing but trouble. If I didn't need it to control the RGB lighting I would throw it right off my harddrive.

So it seems my problem is fixed for now. Thank you anyways