5900X, undervolting through PBO2 with curve optimizer, keeps crashing.

As title says, did I just get really unlucky with silicone lottery?

PBO limits disabled and All cores curve optimizer set to Negative (X570 Tomahawk WiFi, latest BIOS).

I’ve started at offset of 30, but it crashed while logging to Windows. It actually finished Cinebench R20 with 25 offset, but would crash instantly in Doom Eternal. I’ve kept testing and so far managed to go down to 13. Stable in Doom after 30min. I have a suspicion it will crash eventually.

Am I doing something wrong? Anyone else have had luck undervolting new ryzen cpu’s through PBO2?

Any opinion appreciated!

Born to game, forced to work.  -_-

I feel like this should be kinda obvious, but are you making sure that you're also lowering the speed of your cpu?

10 hours ago, johnnysasaki said:

As title says, did I just get really unlucky with silicone lottery?

PBO limits disabled and All cores curve optimizer set to Negative (X570 Tomahawk WiFi, latest BIOS).

I’ve started at offset of 30, but it crashed while logging to Windows. It actually finished Cinebench R20 with 25 offset, but would crash instantly in Doom Eternal. I’ve kept testing and so far managed to go down to 13. Stable in Doom after 30min. I have a suspicion it will crash eventually.

Am I doing something wrong? Anyone else have had luck undervolting new ryzen cpu’s through PBO2?

Any opinion appreciated!

So I have seen some responses in here that misunderstand why undervolting on 50xx is so good. The quick run down is it creates thermal and voltage headroom which then allows PBO2 to push higher clocks. So you end up with higher clocks and slightly better temps compared to stock.

Anyways each chip is different. I am able to do 30 on my 5900x, but my friends 5800x can only do 10. 

I found this quick video that does a good job explaining and walking you through the setup. Give it a try. I can see cores barely breaking 5.1k time to time and my full load clocks bounce in thec 4.6 - 4.75 range.  I did tweak a few things like max pbo boost limits, but that all comes after you get the undervolts dialed in.

My 5900X can't seem to use more than a 10 offset, we are probably just unlucky. Or it will get better in a newer BIOS down the road. 

Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

Ryzen 5900X

Corsair Hydro H150i Pro 360mm AIO

Ballistix 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CL16 RGB

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti GAMING OC

Corsair RM850X

Predator XB273UGS QHD IPS 165 Hz

iPhone 13 Pro 128GB Graphite

• 1 month later...

I'm having a similar issue with my 5900x. With any negative offset (-1) windows will blue screen of I close Cinebench while it's running. I have found that to be a good area test because it's quick and fairly realistic I think. I'm using a gigabyte b550i Aorus pro AX. I am going a bios today will fix it because I really need a voltage offset. 

• 1 month later...

I was slowly trying to ged to more lower values until i reached -30 and i think i got it stable nothing crashed, i tried games, blender and cinabench. When i had everything on default my cpu was doing blender at 84c and doing about 4333mhz all cores, now i reach somewhere around 66-70c doing 4441 mhz while my aio fan on corsair h60 was running at 3K rmp. Did i just won the lottery?

Screenshot_1.png

3 hours ago, tony1671 said:

I was slowly trying to ged to more lower values until i reached -30 and i think i got it stable nothing crashed, i tried games, blender and cinabench. When i had everything on default my cpu was doing blender at 84c and doing about 4333mhz all cores, now i reach somewhere around 66-70c doing 4441 mhz while my aio fan on corsair h60 was running at 3K rmp. Did i just won the lottery?

Screenshot_1.png

It will probably crash when you least expect to be honest... Sometimes it seems stable but then suddenly isn't a few days later. But it seems like you have gotten a very good 5900X for it to be working that well! 

Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

Ryzen 5900X

Corsair Hydro H150i Pro 360mm AIO

Ballistix 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CL16 RGB

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti GAMING OC

Corsair RM850X

Predator XB273UGS QHD IPS 165 Hz

iPhone 13 Pro 128GB Graphite

42 minutes ago, ne0tic said:

It will probably crash when you least expect to be honest... Sometimes it seems stable but then suddenly isn't a few days later. But it seems like you have gotten a very good 5900X for it to be working that well! 

Yeah you were right it had some crashes so i went 2 numbers lower and been gaming for a while seems stable now

• 1 month later...

I gave up on this, my 5900x would random crashes when I set the curve optimizer to -25, but I would have no performance gain when I set it to -20, got a lower score in Cinebench r20 than my stock volt. So there is no point to tweak it now.

• 1 month later...
On 5/13/2021 at 4:29 PM, lansing said:

I gave up on this, my 5900x would random crashes when I set the curve optimizer to -25, but I would have no performance gain when I set it to -20, got a lower score in Cinebench r20 than my stock volt. So there is no point to tweak it now.

-13 worked fine on mine processor, dropped temps in blender by 10C and got a little clock boost

-13 all core is pretty normal. Personally I do per core. Most of my cores can do -30, some -25, and the worst -16.

Your best cores are actually probably the ones crashing, they are already running at lower voltage than the rest, a negative curve lowers their voltage even more. Plus they are used/stressed the most.

I don't under volt. I do run -30 though.. I increased PPT and TDC, and lowered EDC from stock settings.  Maybe try something like 200 130 130 with -30 CO and stock voltage. No need for LLC on anything either unless you are manually overclocking using just 1 multiplier.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's