Building a PC for Mumbo Jumbo

Cre8 Modding

In late 2020 MSI got in touch with me to create a system for a client of theirs, this was to be a gift for Christmas to replace an aging system. At the time they couldn’t tell me much, just that it needed to be a show build but not over the top, have a black and white theme, and that under no circumstances should there be a hint of rainbow puke anywhere.

That sort of brief doesn’t make things easy and then, more pressure was added. Once MSI and the client confirmed everything they wanted in terms of hardware, they could finally let me know who this system was for. This was a system for a guy called Oliver Brotherhood, or, as he is more commonly known, Mumbo Jumbo.

Now I will admit that I didn’t have a clue who he was and so I had to have a quick Google. It turns out Mumbo is a Minecraft influencer with close to 7m YouTube subscribers, having an 11-year-old son who plays a lot of Minecraft, I mentioned Mumbo Jumbo and he immediately got excited, he knew exactly who I was talking about. At this point, I’m starting to feel a little old and out of touch :)

[IMG]

So with Mumbo needing his new PC rather quickly, I didn’t have much time to get a full build log going, plus it was kept under wraps. Now, finally, I can show off what I came up with as Oli has the system to hand and is planning to release his own content on this system.

In terms of specs, we have;

• Thermaltake Technology Inc Level 20 GT
  • Intel I9-10900K
  • MSI Z490 Godlike
  • MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim 24G
  • Corsair 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) 3600MHZ
  • Samsung 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD
  • Samsung 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD
  • Be quiet! (English) Dark Power Pro 12 1200W
  • Alphacool English CPU Custom Loop

[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]

In terms of the hardware, the only choices I could make were for the CPU loop and power supply, between Oli and MSI they picked the hardware list and I am sure this was done before AMD 5XXX launch. Now the 10900K isn’t a slouch by any means but I do wonder if Oli would have gone with AMD or if he just simply prefers Intel-based systems.

I am more than happy with how it turned out, especially given the time frame and the brief. MSI wanted to keep the 3090 Suprim 24G air-cooled to show it off and that meant I could keep the CPU loop a little more manageable. I didn’t know how much experience Oli has with filling and draining systems for maintenance and so this way, it keeps everything really simple.

As I mentioned, my lad loves Mumbos videos, and its great for me to be part of something where by me building Oli a system, he can then in turn make more content and then go full circle. Will sure put a smile on my face to know my lad is watching content produced on a system I built!

Find Out More:
https://www.instagram.com/officialmumbo/

@Cre8Modding
Former Writer Maximum PC
Former Reviewer / Modder @KitGuru

That is a pretty sleek build.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

It would be a true MumboJumbo PC if the wires in the PC were replaced with Restone wires!

image.png.2e6363d70111bf241c60247730d7eeac.png

FYI: MumboJumbo makes a whole bunch of Minecraft videos, but is probably most well known for his Redstone creation. See Redstone in Minecraft sort of as an electrical + boolean logic system. A way to create automatic doors, farms, etc.

System looks super good! Hope he mentions it in one of his videos sometime in the future :)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

27 minutes ago, Prodigy_Smit said:

That is a pretty sleek build.

Thanks bud, much appreciated. Not my hardware choices but still a damn fine setup.

8 minutes ago, minibois said:

It would be a true MumboJumbo PC if the wires in the PC were replaced with Restone wires!

image.png.2e6363d70111bf241c60247730d7eeac.png

FYI: MumboJumbo makes a whole bunch of Minecraft videos, but is probably most well known for his Redstone creation. See Redstone in Minecraft sort of as an electrical + boolean logic system. A way to create automatic doors, farms, etc.

System looks super good! Hope he mentions it in one of his videos sometime in the future :)

As per thread and video, I had no idea who he was. Minecraft isnt my thing but my son loves his vids so nice to go full circle and be part of stuff he watches.

Redstone seems cool, I actually own Minecraft but I`m more into flight sims etc but might take a look after all. Kind of gutted, Mumbo has a few posts out about the system already but didnt tag me on Instgram / Twitter etc :( 

Hopefully he will in the video he is making about the system, fingers crossed :)

@Cre8Modding
Former Writer Maximum PC

1 minute ago, Mod83 said:

Thanks bud, much appreciated. Not my hardware choices but still a damn fine setup.

Yes that build is a lot more of a build for show. I would hate for it to be tucked under a desk. I would have not gone vertical mount GPU personally but it looks absolutely stunning with that hardline tubing.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

42 minutes ago, Mod83 said:

In late 2020 MSI got in touch with me to create a system for a client of theirs, this was to be a gift for Christmas to replace an aging system. At the time they couldn’t tell me much, just that it needed to be a show build but not over the top, have a black and white theme, and that under no circumstances should there be a hint of rainbow puke anywhere.

That sort of brief doesn’t make things easy and then, more pressure was added. Once MSI and the client confirmed everything they wanted in terms of hardware, they could finally let me know who this system was for. This was a system for a guy called Oliver Brotherhood, or, as he is more commonly known, Mumbo Jumbo.

Now I will admit that I didn’t have a clue who he was and so I had to have a quick Google. It turns out Mumbo is a Minecraft influencer with close to 7m YouTube subscribers, having an 11-year-old son who plays a lot of Minecraft, I mentioned Mumbo Jumbo and he immediately got excited, he knew exactly who I was talking about. At this point, I’m starting to feel a little old and out of touch :)

[IMG]

So with Mumbo needing his new PC rather quickly, I didn’t have much time to get a full build log going, plus it was kept under wraps. Now, finally, I can show off what I came up with as Oli has the system to hand and is planning to release his own content on this system.

In terms of specs, we have;

• Thermaltake Technology Inc Level 20 GT
  • Intel I9-10900K
  • MSI Z490 Godlike
  • MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim 24G
  • Corsair 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) 3600MHZ
  • Samsung 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD
  • Samsung 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD
  • Be quiet! (English) Dark Power Pro 12 1200W
  • Alphacool English CPU Custom Loop

[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]

In terms of the hardware, the only choices I could make were for the CPU loop and power supply, between Oli and MSI they picked the hardware list and I am sure this was done before AMD 5XXX launch. Now the 10900K isn’t a slouch by any means but I do wonder if Oli would have gone with AMD or if he just simply prefers Intel-based systems.

I am more than happy with how it turned out, especially given the time frame and the brief. MSI wanted to keep the 3090 Suprim 24G air-cooled to show it off and that meant I could keep the CPU loop a little more manageable. I didn’t know how much experience Oli has with filling and draining systems for maintenance and so this way, it keeps everything really simple.

As I mentioned, my lad loves Mumbos videos, and its great for me to be part of something where by me building Oli a system, he can then in turn make more content and then go full circle. Will sure put a smile on my face to know my lad is watching content produced on a system I built!

Find Out More:
https://www.instagram.com/officialmumbo/

I haven't watched him in years..

This is really cool too see, I love the hardline tubing!

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

28 minutes ago, Prodigy_Smit said:

Yes that build is a lot more of a build for show. I would hate for it to be tucked under a desk. I would have not gone vertical mount GPU personally but it looks absolutely stunning with that hardline tubing.

Yeah certainly one to sit on top, rather than underneath a desk, that was part of the brief. Case wise, never built in a TT case before and TBH im not that impressed with the L20. For what they cost a be quiet! case is more my thing and I do a lot of be quiet based builds as the quality is top notch. I wanted to go for a TT L5 for this but again, out my hands.

On GPU, again out my hands, vertical I wanted to water cool. Usually I wouldnt recommend a vertical GPU on air, the L20 does give more air flow room than most cases and MSI wanted to show off the 3090 so thats fair enough. My way would have been a full, more complex loop.

22 minutes ago, Downkey said:

I haven't watched him in years..

This is really cool too see, I love the hardline tubing!

Thanks, appreciate the love!

@Cre8Modding
Former Writer Maximum PC

5 hours ago, Mod83 said:

Redstone seems cool, I actually own Minecraft but I`m more into flight sims etc but might take a look after all. Kind of gutted, Mumbo has a few posts out about the system already but didnt tag me on Instgram / Twitter etc :( 

Hopefully he will in the video he is making about the system, fingers crossed :)

Redstone is - in my opinion - one of the coolest things about Minecraft.

I've gotten back into Minecraft last September, after not playing it for a good couple years. In the past I really wasn't into redstone at all, but now I'd say it's one of my main activities. That of course meant I watched a ton of videos, MumboJumbo's included.

I actually watch his content, so I'll keep my eye on if I see him mention the PC!

In Minecraft, when you press F3, you'll see a whole bunch of information, like your fps, coordinates in-game, etc., but also your system specs (CPU and videocard at least). Skipping through a couple of his latest videos, it doesn't seem like he has shown that, so not sure if some of his newer videos were made on this awesome PC.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Now that's really cool. Don't play much Minecraft myself anymore these days, but I enjoy Mumbo's content.

1 hour ago, minibois said:

I actually watch his content, so I'll keep my eye on if I see him mention the PC!

Well here you go :P

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Just seen, and to be honest kind of gutted I didnt even get a mention in the video :(

Given this was a weeks worth of time in terms of build, plus planning, emails, etc its kinda disheartening. Never mind, lesson learnt, Il keep plugging away with builds.Dont get me wrong, it was a fantastic experience and great to be involved, I mean 180k views and 20k comments in an hour based around a system I built is great, more for MJ than me but I suppose thats the way this "influencer" stuff works right?

@Cre8Modding
Former Writer Maximum PC

1 hour ago, minibois said:

Redstone is - in my opinion - one of the coolest things about Minecraft.

I've gotten back into Minecraft last September, after not playing it for a good couple years. In the past I really wasn't into redstone at all, but now I'd say it's one of my main activities. That of course meant I watched a ton of videos, MumboJumbo's included.

In Minecraft, when you press F3, you'll see a whole bunch of information, like your fps, coordinates in-game, etc., but also your system specs (CPU and videocard at least). Skipping through a couple of his latest videos, it doesn't seem like he has shown that, so not sure if some of his newer videos were made on this awesome PC.

Heard from MSi that he was having issues, part of the reason he needed this out so quick so maybe why he wasnt showing stuff.

@Cre8Modding
Former Writer Maximum PC

He also added this in the comments so explains some parts:

READ BEFORE COMMENTING ABOUT SPECS/RAM!

Minecraft runs on a single core, which is why I opted for this CPU as it's a good balance between single core performance (turbo boosts to 5.3GHz) and multiple cores for editing. I did look into AMD offerings but this still seemed like the best fit for me... And now I prepare for the million replies saying I am wrong!

Second note - I didn't mean to read the specs twice, so it was an accidental flex, but a hard flex it definitely was.

Third note - I ALLOCATED MORE RAM in the end (I forgot to do it in the first test). I went up to 8GB as I read that is the optimum, allocate too much and the data clearing causes spikes (This is something I experienced on my last system, however it's totally anecdotal!!). One thing to clarify, while in the shopping district it only ever reached 60% usage before being cleared, so it likely wasn't bottlenecking anything there. (Once again, could be wrong)

Fourth note - keep in mind I was playing in 4K resolution while recording, my actual framerates without recording are slightly higher, and in windowed 1080p are MUCH higher (But I can't play at anything less than 4K!)

@Cre8Modding
Former Writer Maximum PC