raising screen resolution will decrease cpu bottleneck?

yourdietsucks
Go to solution Solved by BallaTheFeared,

Nothing wrong with Nvidia in WoW, except two 780 Ti's in a 10 year old dual core MMO.

WoW bottlenecked on my 1090T @ 4.5GHz with a single 900 MHz 470 in high pop areas.

It shat all over two 950MHz 470s in SLI with a 5.3GHz i5-2500k. If you go away from people your FPS will shoot past 170+ FPS, you go into Stormwind for instance and welcome to 40-50 fps when there are a lot of people around.

Problem is insanely powerful GPU setup, coupled with trivial to run graphics, within a thread limited title.

currently I bottlenecking my 780ti sli with my 3570k pretty bad in some games to the point where Im only getting 30% gpu usage out of each gpu. I am looking into getting an UHD monitor or maybe a WQHD gsync soon, will I expect to gain gpu usage while keeping framerates up?

Your 3570k isn't bottlenecking. It's still a great CPU. It's probably just terrible SLI scaling/optimization in the games you play. Try running single card and see what happens.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

Your 3570k isn't bottlenecking. It's still a great CPU. It's probably just terrible SLI scaling/optimization in the games you play. Try running single card and see what happens.

interesting, I notice the lowest of gpu usage in world of warcraft of all things. I will test out a few well optimized sli games and see.

Actually, yes, it does. But whatever I'm not gonna start arguing this again.

@OP, yes higher resolution will decrease your bottleneck. I have personal experience with this.

*Puts up shield*

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Actually, yes, it does. But whatever I'm not gonna start arguing this again.

@OP, yes higher resolution will decrease your bottleneck. I have personal experience with this.

*Puts up shield*

How does a 3570k bottleneck? A 4670k wouldn't bottleneck 2 780 ti's, and that's at best a 8-10% improvement over it.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

interesting, I notice the lowest of gpu usage in world of warcraft of all things. I will test out a few well optimized sli games and see.

WoW is a horribly optimized game and even worse for Nvidia cards.

Nothing wrong with Nvidia in WoW, except two 780 Ti's in a 10 year old dual core MMO.

WoW bottlenecked on my 1090T @ 4.5GHz with a single 900 MHz 470 in high pop areas.

It shat all over two 950MHz 470s in SLI with a 5.3GHz i5-2500k. If you go away from people your FPS will shoot past 170+ FPS, you go into Stormwind for instance and welcome to 40-50 fps when there are a lot of people around.

Problem is insanely powerful GPU setup, coupled with trivial to run graphics, within a thread limited title.

How does a 3570k bottleneck? A 4670k wouldn't bottleneck 2 780 ti's, and that's at best a 8-10% improvement over it.

Once again, I've had this argument countless times, but pretty much I've done benchmarks and even my 3930k bottlenecks my 2 titans in certain games at 1080p. Once I go to 5760x1080 I never have bottlenecking issues. Yes I know... mind = blown no way blah blah...

Sorry if I'm coming off as hostile but you have no clue how much time I've wasted on this subject.

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

interesting, I notice the lowest of gpu usage in world of warcraft of all things

wow is very cpu bound and the cpu you have is the best for it. couse of the core performance with oc. however even a gpu like...gtx 650 Ti has low gpu usage in wow so with 780Ti what do you expect

Once again, I've had this argument countless times, but pretty much I've done benchmarks and even my 3930k bottlenecks my 2 titans in certain games at 1080p. Once I go to 5760x1080 I never have bottlenecking issues. Yes I know... mind = blown no way blah blah...

Sorry if I'm coming off as hostile but you have no clue how much time I've wasted on this subject.

You're argument makes no sense in it's entirety. When you use 2 highest end cards, at 1080p, they aren't even going to stress themselves. It's not the CPU, it's the fact that you are running at 1080p with two Titans.

There is absolutely no way in hell a 3930k would bottleneck to Titans. Not even a 3570k would. It's the fact that you are using two cards that, when, even by themselves, run the resolution more than fine. It's just overkill. That's the problem.

You're argument makes no sense in it's entirety. When you use 2 highest end cards, at 1080p, they aren't even going to stress themselves. It's not the CPU, it's the fact that you are running at 1080p with two Titans.

There is absolutely no way in hell a 3930k would bottleneck to Titans. Not even a 3570k would. It's the fact that you are using two cards that, when, even by themselves, run the resolution more than fine. It's just overkill. That's the problem.

yeah i kinda agree his case is like using a gtx 760/770 for 720p. overkill since gpu doesn`t have much to do

the point is that a 3570k may or may not bottleneck 2x780tis, but in any case not so much to lock them to a 30% usage

so that's not the problem, we can consider the bottleneck negligible, if there is one

the problem is SLI bullshit

yeah i kinda agree his case is like using a gtx 760/770 for 720p. overkill since gpu doesn`t have much to do

Yeah I know I'm crazy... Ok I'm not gonna reply anymore because once a once again agian again I've had this argument way too many times.

linustechtips.com/main/topic/49480-proof-that-a-3930k-bottlenecks-sli-titans/

Yeah I know I'm crazy... Ok I'm not gonna reply anymore because once a once again agian again I've had this argument way too many times.

I was never really arguing, just disproving your incorrect theory. I don't see how you don't get it. Why would 2 Titans run at 100% load just for 1080p? They don't have to. Also, all I saw was OC'ing your cpu gave you a boost in fps. Woah, surprising.

Getting a 30FPS increase when overclocking CPU? Getting exact same FPS with SLI enabled as with SLI disabled? Overclocking CPU makes GPU usage go higher? When I switch to triple monitor it's not bottlenecking anymore? Yeah you disproved me just because you say so. Cool story. Ok let's just stop replying because this won't go anywhere. Have a nice day, no hard feelings kthxbye.

Getting a 30FPS increase when overclocking CPU? Getting exact same FPS with SLI enabled as with SLI disabled? Overclocking CPU makes GPU usage go higher? When I switch to triple monitor it's not bottlenecking anymore? Yeah you disproved me just because you say so. Cool story. Ok let's just stop replying because this won't go anywhere. Have a nice day, no hard feelings kthxbye.

<3. We will have our separate opinions on this I guess.

Quoting hard. ;)

The higher the resolution the more work the gpu's have to do, so yes it should affect the performance but I doubt it will do much eliminate the bottleneck itself as the only way to cure it would be to upgrade or have better optimized games or mantle

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Getting a 30FPS increase when overclocking CPU? Getting exact same FPS with SLI enabled as with SLI disabled? Overclocking CPU makes GPU usage go higher? When I switch to triple monitor it's not bottlenecking anymore? Yeah you disproved me just because you say so. 

yeah. the same way any cpu would hold back a mid-high end card at 720p or similar low res. if you want to call that a bottleneck,so be it. i call it- why on earth are you using a card like that for that res

I think bottleneck is the wrong word for the question.  bottlenecking arguments aside, when you increase your resolution, gpu becomes more important than cpu.  but cpu to gpu "bottleneck" ratio doesn't really change...

I think the 30% usage in @yourdietsucks case is more that 780Ti SLI is massive overkill for WoW than cpu bottleneck.

to OP, I'm assuming you still get good FPS?  what res are you running?  You can try overclocking your cpu and see if your gpu load and FPS goes up.

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

I think bottleneck is the wrong word for the question. bottlenecking arguments aside, when you increase your resolution, gpu becomes more important than cpu. but cpu to gpu "bottleneck" ratio doesn't really change...

I think the 30% usage in @yourdietsucks case is more that 780Ti SLI is massive overkill for WoW than cpu bottleneck.

to OP, I'm assuming you still get good FPS? what res are you running? You can try overclocking your cpu and see if your gpu load and FPS goes up.

I have my cpu oced at 4.5 ghz and I'm running 1080p 144hz. My fps is pushing 300 in most areas but as soon as I'm in a populated area my fps drops to 50 which in my opinion is ridiculous. Probably just poor optimization.

I have my cpu oced at 4.5 ghz and I'm running 1080p 144hz. My fps is pushing 300 in most areas but as soon as I'm in a populated area my fps drops to 50 which in my opinion is ridiculous. Probably just poor optimization.

lol, yeah, if it varies from 50-300 thats poor optimization.  if the cpu was a bottleneck then you'd never see the 300 number...  you can try running that game with just a single card, see if that min number goes up since it won't have to deal with SLI...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

That is just WoW for you, even at 5ghz sub 50fps dips in 25m will happen due to the way WoW utilises the CPU. It front loads on core #0 and that will hold it back. It is technically a CPU bottleneck however the bottleneck is due to the warcraft 3 engine that WoW is built on. I have tinkered with it before to "optimize" the CPU for WoW and it requires some stupid set ups and per core over clocking. Basically bump the CPU GHz up or accept it, it is never going to change.

i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz (1.240v) || Asrock extreme 4 || CM Hyper 212 evo

Samsung 840 || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb || Powercolor 7870 xt @ (1200 mhz core : 1500 mhz mem)