Can't remove folder in W10 - This problem is making me go insane

mkN1G
Go to solution Solved by Mark Kaine,
5 minutes ago, MarkusH said:

Perhaps I can travel to some mountain in China and train to become the almighty Trusted Installer myself?

Yes, esoteric might work (tho that sounds hella expensive), I myself however used this method or similar methods - it *should* work for the files you seek to destroy... I certainly wouldn't want to give up a whole drive because of some pesky windows files / folders... 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.laptopmag.com/amp/articles/take-ownership-folder-windows-10-using-file-explorer

it may seem daunting, but if you stay steady and calm it should be a 10 minutes affair... ~

Hey guys,

UPDATE/SOLUTION: The problem is solved thanks to a friendly user providing me with a link "https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.laptopmag.com/amp/articles/take-ownership-folder-windows-10-using-file-explorer" .

Big thank you to all the replies, you guys are the best!

As topic said, I'm close to losing my mind.

See the attached screenshot for the folder I am trying to delete. The marked folder is something that's leftover since I played Forza. The game is unsinstalled but this folder decided to stay for some reason. In the security settings I've made myself the owner of the map, and also on the sub-folders inside the marked map. However, when trying to delete it I get a message I need permission from "DESKTOP-*****\User" which is me! I've googled, watched videos, tried third-party apps. Nothing has worked so far. The folder itself is taking up 75GB so I don't really wanna ignore it.

Let me know if you need further info.

I just wanna tear that goddamn folder in a million pieces..... any help at all is greatly appreciated!

2021-01-12 14_41_17-WindowsApps.png

Edited by MarkusH
The problem is solved

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

🤣 This is what happens when you buy things from the Microsoft store... I thought that was known... 🤔

However you might get lucky booting from a Linux live distro, go in there and make no prisoners! 

Good luck ~

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

🤣 This is what happens when you buy things from the Microsoft store... I thought that was known... 🤔

However you might get lucky booting from a Linux live distro, go in there and make no prisoners! 

Good luck ~

Seriously? Is that nessesary? You can't take admin rights? 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Just now, DoctorNick said:

Seriously? Is that nessesary? You can't take admin rights? 

yes IT IS necessary 

back when i was still dual booting something similar happened to me so i booted to manjaro and deleted that folder from there

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

3 minutes ago, mahyar said:

yes IT IS necessary 

back when i was still dual booting something similar happened to me so i booted to manjaro and deleted that folder from there

🤣....😭

FS in Denmark/EU:

4 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

🤣....😭

???????

2 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

🤣....😭

Try this method, open an Admin command prompt, type the following:

DISM.exe /Online /Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackageName:Microsoft.SunriseBaseGame_1.410.986.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

It looks like you may have several versions of the game (assuming patches or DLC?) so may need to substitute one of the other 2 names containing "neutral", be aware of double underscore in the descriptions.

The command may generate errors or fail completely if you have attempted to alter the folders/ files yourself.

6 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

🤣....😭

the funny thing is that the thing you linked suggests to do a complete hard-drive wipe, do you think that's any better?  😂

9 minutes ago, mahyar said:

yes IT IS necessary 

I made myself "trusted installer" and have no issues deleting windows files now, it asks for permission > click yes > deleted... However it was not easy to become this almighty entity on my *own* pc that I own and bought with my own money... 

In fact it is very difficult and might not even be a good idea for the average user because deleting files nilly willy will f^ your windows installation (for the record I didn't delete anything yet, except files from a backup on secondary drive where I *knew* it wouldn't matter - it's still not possible to delete for the average admin user account however!) 

3 minutes ago, DigitalGoat said:

DISM.exe /Online /Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackageName:Microsoft.SunriseBaseGame_1.410.986.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

This might work but if not the Linux seek and destroy mission should still solve the issue? 

never done this myself (I despise Linux) but I see this suggested a lot for tenacious windows files... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

27 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

I just came back from a walk and I thought of maybe formatting the SSD drive that the shit is stored on. I have to sacrifice the games I have installed there, thanks though!

10 minutes ago, DigitalGoat said:

It looks like you may have several versions of the game (assuming patches or DLC?) so may need to substitute one of the other 2 names containing "neutral", be aware of double underscore in the descriptions.

The command may generate errors or fail completely if you have attempted to alter the folders/ files yourself.

Thanks for your reply, I tried that but it said that the file can't be found. :(

6 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

the funny thing is that the thing you linked suggests to do a complete hard-drive wipe, do you think that's any better?  😂

I made myself "trusted installer" and have no issues deleting windows files now, it asks for permission > click yes > deleted... However it was not easy to become this almighty entity on my *own* pc that I own and bought with my own money... 

In fact it is very difficult and might not even be a good idea for the average user because deleting files nilly willy will f^ your windows installation (for the record I didn't delete anything yet, except files from a backup on secondary drive where I *knew* it wouldn't matter - it's still not possible to delete for the average admin user account however!) 

This might work but if not the Linux seek and destroy mission should still solve the issue? 

never done this myself (I despise Linux) but I see this suggested a lot for tenacious windows files... 

I might just format the drive that this is stored on. Perhaps I can travel to some mountain in China and train to become the almighty Trusted Installer myself? God I hate windows sometimes, let me delete whatever I want, no matter the consequences!

12 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I thought I linked a way to get admin rights.. :)

FS in Denmark/EU:

5 minutes ago, MarkusH said:

Perhaps I can travel to some mountain in China and train to become the almighty Trusted Installer myself?

Yes, esoteric might work (tho that sounds hella expensive), I myself however used this method or similar methods - it *should* work for the files you seek to destroy... I certainly wouldn't want to give up a whole drive because of some pesky windows files / folders... 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.laptopmag.com/amp/articles/take-ownership-folder-windows-10-using-file-explorer

it may seem daunting, but if you stay steady and calm it should be a 10 minutes affair... ~

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

17 minutes ago, MarkusH said:

I might just format the drive that this is stored on. Perhaps I can travel to some mountain in China and train to become the almighty Trusted Installer myself? God I hate windows sometimes, let me delete whatever I want, no matter the consequences!

well thats a bit too far just flash ubuntu on a usb and delete things there

15 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

IT WORKED!

I feel so stupid that it was that easy!! Took 5min tops!! Thank you very much!! Guess I don't need to go to the mountains in China!

10 minutes ago, mahyar said:

well thats a bit too far just flash ubuntu on a usb and delete things there

Or do the "I am the admin thing" it really works and the link I posted explains everything to a T, however, I actually think the Linux method is probably far easier... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, MarkusH said:

IT WORKED!

I feel so stupid that it was that easy!! Took 5min tops!! Thank you very much!! Guess I don't need to go to the mountains in China!

Heh, yw!  :D

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer