Maximus Code IX not saving BIOS Settings

Hello everyone, 

Yesterday I started my desktop (Motherboard Asus Maximus IX Code) and it shut off 2 or 3 times before post. I noticed that all BIOS settings had been lost. I supposed it was the battery and today I bought a pair of batteries, and the problem persists. What can it be? I must say that I use an UPS that I always turn off at night so if I keep the UPS on everything works fine but if I switch off the PSU or turn off the UPS all BIOS configs are lost again. What can it be? 

I have had this MOBO like 3 and a half years and I had to change the battery once. Probably because the PC is disconnected from power like 80% of the time. I tested the batteries with a multimeter and another device and are working fine (expire on 2025). Don't know what else can it be.

Thanks for all the help. 

The cmos battery is probably low or completely dead. Should be 3.3 volts. If it tests at 3v or lower, replace it.

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The cmos battery is probably low or completely dead. Should be 3.3 volts. If it tests at 3v or lower, replace it.

Thank you. Yes I tested with a multimeter and the voltage is 3.23 volts. And I also tested with 2 different new batteries. 

The behavior is as if the mobo doesn't have a battery at all. 

5 minutes ago, eera5607 said:

The behavior is as if the mobo doesn't have a battery at all. 

When you are in bios next time, in the sensors, does that reading match the multimeter? "3.23v"

Both UPS's and PCs are meant to receive standby power 24/7. For what reason are you powering them off every night?

Regardless the CMOS battery is suppose to save your settings while it's off. What is the state of the CMOS jumper pins? It's not set to reset CMOS is it?

6 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Both UPS's and PCs are meant to receive standby power 24/7. For what reason are you powering them off every night?

Regardless the CMOS battery is suppose to save your settings while it's off. What is the state of the CMOS jumper pins? It's not set to reset CMOS is it?

Didn't know that. I have the UPS connected to a smart plug and the PSU connected to the UPS, so I just turn on the smart plug and turn on the UPS when I'm going to use the desktop and that is very few hours a week. I don't have any good reason to do that. I thought it would save power. 

About the second part the answer is: no. The motherboard has been working fine for years. CMOS Jumper pins are right. :(

6 minutes ago, eera5607 said:

Didn't know that. I have the UPS connected to a smart plug and the PSU connected to the UPS, so I just turn on the smart plug and turn on the UPS when I'm going to use the desktop and that is very few hours a week. I don't have any good reason to do that. I thought it would save power. 

About the second part the answer is: no. The motherboard has been working fine for years. CMOS Jumper pins are right. :(

It wouldn't post if the jumper was on the pins....

Speaking of cmos, perhaps you could flash the bios (same revision is fine, doesn't matter). 

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

When you are in bios next time, in the sensors, does that reading match the multimeter? "3.23v"

I can't find that information. But I tested the batteries with a laser and they are working fine. 

Oh no. Sadly I was trying to insert the battery once again and I damaged a metalic connector that makes contact with battery so there's nothing else to do. I suppose I will have to work with BIOS defaults. :( it is very very difficult to work with the battery with this motherboard because of the armor. In order to remove the armor it is necessary to remove the GPU, AIO, fans ... 

thanks @ShrimpBrimeAnd @Windows7ge for all the help.

IMG_20210111_172751.jpg

5 minutes ago, eera5607 said:

Oh no. Sadly I was trying to insert the battery once again and I damaged a metalic connector that makes contact with battery so there's nothing else to do. I suppose I will have to work with BIOS defaults. :( it is very very difficult to work with the battery with this motherboard because of the armor. In order to remove the armor it is necessary to remove the GPU, AIO, fans ... 

You must have used quite a bit of force in doing so. I've never heard of someone breaking the CMOS battery holder.

If you're handy with a soldering iron it's not the end of the world. You can buy replacement holders.

Also, IIRC the battery is only needed when power isn't applied. The standby power the PC gets when off but plugged in would preserve your BIOS settings. This would mean you'd have to stop your ritual of shutting off the UPS every night which wouldn't hurt anything.

7 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

You must have used quite a bit of force in doing so. I've never heard of someone breaking the CMOS battery holder.

If you're handy with a soldering iron it's not the end of the world. You can buy replacement holders.

Also, IIRC the battery is only needed when power isn't applied. The standby power the PC gets when off but plugged in would preserve your BIOS settings. This would mean you'd have to stop your ritual of shutting off the UPS every night which wouldn't hurt anything.

Thank you. Yes, I think applied a lot of force. And yes, I think I will stop turning everything off from now on. I just remembered that I turn off the UPS because it makes a buzz sound that you can't hear during the day but in the silence of the night, I can't stand it 🤣 

I will also try to find a replacement holder. Thank you very much for the help. 

2 minutes ago, eera5607 said:

I just remembered that I turn off the UPS because it makes a buzz sound that you can't hear during the day but in the silence of the night, I can't stand it 🤣

I figured this might have had something to do with it. Sometimes UPS's can buzz. Yeah.

Depending on how you position it you might be able to dampen how loud it buzzes. You can think about covering it with something but keep in mind that a lot of UPS's come with fans and need to breathe when supplying back-up power.

14 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I figured this might have had something to do with it. Sometimes UPS's can buzz. Yeah.

Depending on how you position it you might be able to dampen how loud it buzzes. You can think about covering it with something but keep in mind that a lot of UPS's come with fans and need to breathe when supplying back-up power.

Thank you. I'll try that.