Backup of Windows 10.

Anyone know how to backup certain folders from a Windows 10 laptop to an external drive automatically? But do it even though the drive rarely gets plugged in?

Also, is there a way to make a FULL (a bit like Apple time machine) system backup of EVERYTHING to said drive in addition?

Feel free to let me know ideas or suggestions or software that is proven safe.

Also, moderators, if this is in the wrong area, I'm sorry.

2 minutes ago, Bearpaddocks said:

Anyone know how to backup certain folders from a Windows 10 laptop to an external drive automatically? But do it even though the drive rarely gets plugged in?

Also, is there a way to make a FULL (a bit like Apple time machine) system backup of EVERYTHING to said drive in addition?

Macrium Reflect Free is suitable for backing up (imaging) entire partitions, disks ,other similar products are available. The paid version has more versatile backup options. Or you could use a robocopy script (robocopy is included with Windows) and customise it to suit your needs, there are some good guides on how to use robocopy for backups if you google the subject.

These are just some sample ideas to get you started.

8 hours ago, DigitalGoat said:

Macrium Reflect Free is suitable for backing up (imaging) entire partitions, disks ,other similar products are available. The paid version has more versatile backup options. Or you could use a robocopy script (robocopy is included with Windows) and customise it to suit your needs, there are some good guides on how to use robocopy for backups if you google the subject.

These are just some sample ideas to get you started.

Do any of these solutions require having any knowledge of coding? Because I have absolutely ZERO knowledge of coding. I'm a hardware person.

8 hours ago, LWM723 said:

Try DSynchronize it's free and portable.

Does this still support Windows 10? Because it looks like it's from the Win2000 days.

I'm sorry if I forgot to mention it, but: I want it to make a copy of everything from the folder, but never delete the old items while not replacing the ones that I delete from my computer.

Freefilesync, syncback free/se

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

28 minutes ago, Bearpaddocks said:

I'm sorry if I forgot to mention it, but: I want it to make a copy of everything from the folder, but never delete the old items while not replacing the ones that I delete from my computer.

Robocopy can do what you want, it doesn't require programming knowledge but uses switches which are very well documented. The online guides tend to provide example scripts to for example backup a folder, but only add new or changed files, and delete any from the backup that are no longer in the source folder etc.

Other solutions mentioned in this post may be easier to use, Robocopy is just one example.

Edited by DigitalGoat
Additional thoughts

DSynchronize will do what you want, easy to use UI, no coding involved.
http://www.dimio.altervista.org/eng/

1 hour ago, Bearpaddocks said:

There is a backup feature in the control panel that can let you backup everything:

cp.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Thanks everyone who posted ideas!

I'll be checking them out tomorrow because it's almost midnight.

If yours' is a help, thank you, and I'll let you know.

3 minutes ago, Bearpaddocks said:

Thanks everyone who posted ideas!

I'll be checking them out tomorrow because it's almost midnight.

If yours' is a help, thank you, and I'll let you know.

You're welcome! please make sure you quote us so we know you've replied! :) 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

If you don’t mind paying then use OneDrive. From my experience it’s far better than local backups.

I still have cold storage if all my older data using my old hard drives but anything new is stored in the cloud.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

Thank you. I'm sorry, I didn't know if it would fall under there or not.

16 hours ago, LWM723 said:

Try DSynchronize it's free and portable.

My laptop is not allowing me to download DSync from their website, do you know another way to get it?

15 hours ago, DigitalGoat said:

Robocopy can do what you want, it doesn't require programming knowledge but uses switches which are very well documented. The online guides tend to provide example scripts to for example backup a folder, but only add new or changed files, and delete any from the backup that are no longer in the source folder etc.

Other solutions mentioned in this post may be easier to use, Robocopy is just one example.

Robocopy is not wanting to open. Is there a special way of doing it? Do I need to (for example) run it as Admin?

14 hours ago, Sir Asvald said:

There is a backup feature in the control panel that can let you backup everything

Nice suggestion. First one to successfully open, haven't used yet, will be using when I get a new drive. (Next few days hopefully)