Does adding a PCIe USB 3.0 card also add another USB controller?

Invincible Sugar

Hi! I've been getting an error about usb controller resources exceeded, it appears to be a USB 3.0 issue with outs/ins or something, according to some website I read.

I have an unused USB 3.0 card... would adding that and dumping some of my USB stuff on to it's ports fix the issue?

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Invincible Sugar said:

Hi! I've been getting an error about usb controller resources exceeded, it appears to be a USB 3.0 issue with outs/ins or something, according to some website I read.

I have an unused USB 3.0 card... would adding that and dumping some of my USB stuff on to it's ports fix the issue?

Thanks!

Yes, probably. Do you have a USB 3.0 Hub in use on one of your ports? When did this error appear the first time. What motherboard do you have?

24 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Yes, probably. Do you have a USB 3.0 Hub in use on one of your ports? When did this error appear the first time. What motherboard do you have?

I have several hubs. I'm using a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 8, with a thunderbolt 3 Lenovo dock, and two eGPUs daisy chained to the dock.

I have a 16 port USB 3.0 hub and a 7 port USB 3.0 hub each plugged directly into the dock, I believe these would count as being two levels deep of USB hubs, since the dock is likely also considered a USB hub. The limit is 5 hubs deep.

I have two USB 2.0 hubs connected to the 16 port 3.0 HUB. All of these are powered. I also have a 2.0 unpowered hub on a long extension cord running to the 16 port hub which is used for my UPS and Printer, since both are far away from my desk due to space constraints.

My setup gave me no issues prior to my upgrade, I think I was very close to the limit already and didn't know, or maybe moving more of my USB 2.0 devices to the 3.0 hubs did it? I understand a USB 2.0 device on a 3.0 hub can't go any faster than 2.0 speeds, but I have 5 or 6 USB displaylink adapters so if they are all on a USB 2.0 hub they split one USB 2.0 connection. On a 3.0 hub they can each use their full 2.0 speeds.

I have a USB 3.0 card and an unused eGPU TB3 enclosure. I figure, I can just add that in my TB3 daisy chain to add another controller to the mix. Then move some of my USB stuff onto that.

It might also have the benefit of giving more of my total 40 GBPS bandwidth on that TB3 chain to USB. I think at the moment 10 GPBS of the 40 goes to USB, or mayb 5 GBPS. It gives the rest to the two eGPUs and my one iGPU external monitor plugged into the dock. Really, I don't game on my eGPUs, they just get me more monitors for an extended desktop so USB would probably be better off with more bandwidth... 

Thanks for the help!

13 minutes ago, Invincible Sugar said:

I have several hubs. I'm using a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 8, with a thunderbolt 3 Lenovo dock, and two eGPUs daisy chained to the dock.

I have a 16 port USB 3.0 hub and a 7 port USB 3.0 hub each plugged directly into the dock, I believe these would count as being two levels deep of USB hubs, since the dock is likely also considered a USB hub. The limit is 5 hubs deep.

I have two USB 2.0 hubs connected to the 16 port 3.0 HUB. All of these are powered. I also have a 2.0 unpowered hub on a long extension cord running to the 16 port hub which is used for my UPS and Printer, since both are far away from my desk due to space constraints.

My setup gave me no issues prior to my upgrade, I think I was very close to the limit already and didn't know, or maybe moving more of my USB 2.0 devices to the 3.0 hubs did it? I understand a USB 2.0 device on a 3.0 hub can't go any faster than 2.0 speeds, but I have 5 or 6 USB displaylink adapters so if they are all on a USB 2.0 hub they split one USB 2.0 connection. On a 3.0 hub they can each use their full 2.0 speeds.

I have a USB 3.0 card and an unused eGPU TB3 enclosure. I figure, I can just add that in my TB3 daisy chain to add another controller to the mix. Then move some of my USB stuff onto that.

It might also have the benefit of giving more of my total 40 GBPS bandwidth on that TB3 chain to USB. I think at the moment 10 GPBS of the 40 goes to USB, or mayb 5 GBPS. It gives the rest to the two eGPUs and my one iGPU external monitor plugged into the dock. Really, I don't game on my eGPUs, they just get me more monitors for an extended desktop so USB would probably be better off with more bandwidth... 

Thanks for the help!

How many monitors do you have, considering you can power 3 to 4 on a single card?

2 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

How many monitors do you have, considering you can power 3 to 4 on a single card?

12 + the laptop's own display. I bought 2 6 output cards on Amazon for $200 each in November, but every configuration I have tried, even in my old custom built desktop, I can't exceed 7 GPU monitors. So if I can't use them as intended I might as well get my $400 back... that's my "upgrade", I took the more powerful 1070 out of my desktop to replace one of these, and the wimpy 710 out of my closet for the other one.

The 1070 is orders of magnitude more powerful than these $200 cards. Not that I need it. And the 710 is much less powerful, but for extra screens it's sufficient, and for protein folding or video rendering or anything else I might do, I've got my 1070. And $400 back.

I use USB displaylink adapters for the rest. I can run 3 displays off the 1070 (the ones I care about most), 3 off the 710 (ones I use less but might have GIFs or other moving stuff, maybe for Discord moderation), 1 off my iGPU (used for watching video), and 5 running off USB displaylink adapters (used for things that don't move much, like email inboxs and Twitter DMs).

I absolutely can play video off a USB displaylink adapter, a modern CPU like the one in my Thinkpad doesn't struggle at all, but it's quite inefficient and I have better options, so I avoid it.

19 minutes ago, Invincible Sugar said:

12 + the laptop's own display. I bought 2 6 output cards on Amazon for $200 each in November, but every configuration I have tried, even in my old custom built desktop, I can't exceed 7 GPU monitors. So if I can't use them as intended I might as well get my $400 back... that's my "upgrade", I took the more powerful 1070 out of my desktop to replace one of these, and the wimpy 710 out of my closet for the other one.

The 1070 is orders of magnitude more powerful than these $200 cards. Not that I need it. And the 710 is much less powerful, but for extra screens it's sufficient, and for protein folding or video rendering or anything else I might do, I've got my 1070. And $400 back.

I use USB displaylink adapters for the rest. I can run 3 displays off the 1070 (the ones I care about most), 3 off the 710 (ones I use less but might have GIFs or other moving stuff, maybe for Discord moderation), 1 off my iGPU (used for watching video), and 5 running off USB displaylink adapters (used for things that don't move much, like email inboxs and Twitter DMs).

I absolutely can play video off a USB displaylink adapter, a modern CPU like the one in my Thinkpad doesn't struggle at all, but it's quite inefficient and I have better options, so I avoid it.

I still have no idea what you are doing with 12 screens, unless they are old 19 inch ones you got for free. Your desktop must be a mess at the moment. Why not use another laptop or pc to split the load or use bigger monitors instead? 

I have done 4 monitors on a single PCI-e card before and 16 in total for a surveillance system. I used 4 cheap quadro cards off ebay (noisy single slot cards, fairly old but plenty for outputting a signal). So that is actually possible and not that hard to set up. The system still runs 24/7 afaik.

Do you have an image of that setup you can show?

5 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

I still have no idea what you are doing with 12 screens, unless they are old 19 inch ones you got for free. Your desktop must be a mess at the moment. Why not use another laptop or pc to split the load or use bigger monitors instead? 

I have done 4 monitors on a single PCI-e card before and 16 in total for a surveillance system. I used 4 cheap quadro cards off ebay (noisy single slot cards, fairly old but plenty for outputting a signal). So that is actually possible and not that hard to set up. The system still runs 24/7 afaik.

Do you have an image of that setup you can show?

Almost. they are mostly monitors that I have gotten at Goodwill for $5 to $10 each. I have one HDMI monitor I purchased new, it's the one I use to watch Netflix in YouTube at my desk. And my primary screen is a pretty nice one I got for like $35 at a mom and pop thrift shop.

I like to have as many things that I am working on open as possible. I don't have to have 12 screens, I started out with three and have added more slowly over time. Going from three screens to four was a big difference, going from 11 to 12 barely made a difference, but when I am really hard at work on my computer I still run out of desktop space even with 12 monitors.

I do have a picture, it's from before I tore everything apart to change out the graphics cards. But it gives you an idea of my configuration and once I'm done with the upgrade I'm working on now it will look pretty much the same, same number of screens but slightly different arrangement.

unfortunately I have to do as much as possible on one system because of my limited internet options. The whole reason I replaced my desktop with a laptop is because of my internet options. Cellular internet is my only real option at the moment and there is no such thing as an unlimited data plan for a desktop computer. With a laptop that has built-in LTE I can use a unlimited tablet plan officially within the terms of service and then I can dock it to effectively replace my desktop with the LTE enabled laptop. but if I were to use a second system it would have to use up my limited hotspot data.

1754169099_mydesk.jpg.da2740035d352889f3c1a7f014b0efec.thumb.jpg.f13f1c837e58b20204561c6a2fff563c.jpg

The 13th monitor is actually a TV I use for Samsung DeX. That runs off an S10 which is always docked, and I use it for live news off YouTube. It always runs, on mute. I can glance at it if I wish to, and unmute with a remote control I keep at my desk. It's a good way to offset more data use to cellular. I do have home internet via DSL but it's so slow, it's really just for the Google Homes and whatnot. Streaming is cellular wherever possible.

3 minutes ago, Invincible Sugar said:

Almost. they are mostly monitors that I have gotten at Goodwill for $5 to $10 each. I have one HDMI monitor I purchased new, it's the one I use to watch Netflix in YouTube at my desk. And my primary screen is a pretty nice one I got for like $35 at a mom and pop thrift shop.

I like to have as many things that I am working on open as possible. I don't have to have 12 screens, I started out with three and have added more slowly over time. Going from three screens to four was a big difference, going from 11 to 12 barely made a difference, but when I am really hard at work on my computer I still run out of desktop space even with 12 monitors.

I do have a picture, it's from before I tore everything apart to change out the graphics cards. But it gives you an idea of my configuration and once I'm done with the upgrade I'm working on now it will look pretty much the same, same number of screens but slightly different arrangement.

unfortunately I have to do as much as possible on one system because of my limited internet options. The whole reason I replaced my desktop with a laptop is because of my internet options. Cellular internet is my only real option at the moment and there is no such thing as an unlimited data plan for a desktop computer. With a laptop that has built-in LTE I can use a unlimited tablet plan officially within the terms of service and then I can dock it to effectively replace my desktop with the LTE enabled laptop. but if I were to use a second system it would have to use up my limited hotspot data.

1754169099_mydesk.jpg.da2740035d352889f3c1a7f014b0efec.thumb.jpg.f13f1c837e58b20204561c6a2fff563c.jpg

The 13th monitor is actually a TV I use for Samsung DeX. That runs off an S10 which is always docked, and I use it for live news off YouTube. It always runs, on mute. I can glance at it if I wish to, and unmute with a remote control I keep at my desk. It's a good way to offset more data use to cellular. I do have home internet via DSL but it's so slow, it's really just for the Google Homes and whatnot. Streaming is cellular wherever possible.

Nice setup, I used to have 5 monitors as well at some point (old dell office screens and some samsung ones). I like your use of space. I don't have the latest X1 but I can share my LTE connection using windows 10 on the Yoga, there is a thing called hotspot. Basically it takes the connection and shares it over the build in wifi card. I haven't tried sharing over ethernet but in theory that should be possible as well (connecting to a switch then to other computers). 

32 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Nice setup, I used to have 5 monitors as well at some point (old dell office screens and some samsung ones). I like your use of space. I don't have the latest X1 but I can share my LTE connection using windows 10 on the Yoga, there is a thing called hotspot. Basically it takes the connection and shares it over the build in wifi card. I haven't tried sharing over ethernet but in theory that should be possible as well (connecting to a switch then to other computers). 

Yes I can do that as well, but there is no unlimited hotspot plans. The plan I have would give up to 10 GB at high speeds to the connected device before it slows down.

And thank you! I'm trying to make the new version a little less messy.

6 hours ago, Invincible Sugar said:

Yes I can do that as well, but there is no unlimited hotspot plans.

Who cares about that? The carrier will never know you pressed the "mobile hotspot" toggle on your PC...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

19 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Who cares about that? The carrier will never know you pressed the "mobile hotspot" toggle on your PC...

Oh yes they will. 100% yes. You can get away with it when you aren't a power user, or if you're willing to hop around plans after each one gets terminated. But for me, using a few TB of mobile data per month, they will quickly shut you down. SIM Hacks, APN or VPN or other network settings to hide real usage, jailbreaks or rooting, these things only work until you get caught. And you will get caught if you use a lot of data. I am within TOS so even if I use 30 TB in a month, I am ok.

You will get caught the exact same way whether you use 30TB of data from the laptop itself or from it sharing the connection, there is no way for them to see if you shared the connection from the laptop. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

10 hours ago, Kilrah said:

You will get caught the exact same way whether you use 30TB of data from the laptop itself or from it sharing the connection, there is no way for them to see if you shared the connection from the laptop. 

I don't know if they use some technical aspect to track how you use data, or if they call you and ask questions, or what. I've never had the issue myself. But every person I talk to on Reddit, Discord, here, who has done a hack or mod to hide the true nature of their data usage eventually gets shut down.

Sure they'll get shut down but that's just becasue of the data use, not the mod. If you use TBs / month each month they'll cut you off eventually regardless of how you use them.

F@H

GPD Win 2

5 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Sure they'll get shut down but that's just becasue of the data use, not the mod. If you use TBs / month each month they'll cut you off eventually regardless of how you use them.

Haven't been contacted yet... others with my laptop have also used heavily for months at a time and never been shut down.