What am I supposed to lookout for using TOP?

When I use the TOP command I am overwhelmed with the vast response. What are things I can lookout for when trying to make sense of it all? In windows taskmanager things are simple and familiar but I don't know what I should be looking out for in TOP results in terms of security and unusual behaviour...

What are you looking for? Neither task amanger or top are great for looking for security issues  as they can't really log activity.

It lists processing running, and stats about those processes at the bottom. At the top it lists system sta

Also there are a lot of simmilar tools out there like htop you might want to look 

21 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What are you looking for? Neither task amanger or top are great for looking for security issues  as they can't really log activity.

It lists processing running, and stats about those processes at the bottom. At the top it lists system sta

Also there are a lot of simmilar tools out there like htop you might want to look 

Mmm. Maybe keyloggers, unusual network traffic.

2 minutes ago, G9XFTW said:

Mmm. Maybe keyloggers, unusual network traffic.

top isn't great for network traffic, there are better tools like iptraf-ng if you want to see all connections.

keyloggers would normally be a running program, so you can see if in the list, but are often good at being hidden if made well.