The TOUGHEST Ethernet cable

ColinLTT

I liked the content, but I was surprised to see that sponsor, Plarium must have made a BIG MONEY offer that could not be refused. There are reasons why people do not like Raid Shadow Legends and it is not just because there advertising is everywhere.

This video should help inform of those reasons @LinusTech

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

Raid SL player here. I just think people are really tired of seeing this sponsorship on channels they least expect. Like a sponsor with that much of a marketing budget for a game that's essentially free but you can pay if you want to (or can't resist), it's a fair assumption that the game must be littered with microtransactions, and they'd be right. Upon my morning login, I'm greeted with 3 to 5 consecutive popups of things that I should maybe consider buying from the store, which I click off ferociously. If they also put in the latest update notes or news in those popups, too bad. I just don't care enough to go back and read them. After all, the genre of the game is built on microtransactions.

So I'm F2P, as in free-to-play, as in no money spent on the game. I've grown really resistant to microtransactions over the years, so I don't really have that much of strong feelings against Raid. You basically collect champions, build them up, and... I actually have no idea what the end-goal beyond that is. But considering all the buffs and debuffs that each champion can cast, it does end up becoming an in-depth strategy game. I can't keep up and usually end up consulting video guides and clan for advice.

Being F2P, I've accepted that there are certain time-limited events/tournaments that I'll not get far into, although they all repeat. The drawback of this is the rewards are sometimes exclusive to that time-limited event, so this means missing out on certain champions. Last month, I considered buying my way to complete a time-limited event to get what is possibly a champion that I'll never be able to access ever again. Looking at the prices, it's actually ridiculous how much I would have to spend for it, so I'll keep being F2P.

Also a correction on a minor detail - the battles are almost all singleplayer. There is PvP - you fight other players' teams, but your opponents will not be player-controlled, but actions decided the same way as if you put on the "Auto" mode in battles. Other than that, player interactions are pretty much just sharing advice, fighting a Clan Boss so that if your clan takes it down, it'll double your reward the next day, and tournaments to achieve the most in a time-limited event for one of the top 10 prizes.

On the brighter side of F2P, it used to be the case that I couldn't do a lot on the game while F2P. It's one of those games that doing stuff requires energy, and you have to wait for your energy to recharge, buy it, or otherwise earn it from a limited set of repeatable daily rewards. But some of the recent updates have introduced more repeatable daily sets of rewards that have made the game a lot more F2P-viable. I could spend a few days being relatively inactive besides going for the repeatable daily rewards, and it'll leave me with a lot to do at a later time. I'm not sure if it's because of my progression, but I'm perfectly comfortable with playing this F2P.

I've basically grown immune to any and all "buy this!" things.

The only time I actually was going to buy something was the July 2019 Gold Pass because of the Valkyrie skin.

I ended up not getting it because the card number was expired and we couldn't change it, and I bought the Ice Queen skin instead with 1500 gems.
Next is the Autumn/Fall/September/October (one of them) Queen skin, and then the 5th builder.

And then more Queen skins.

They all look so good.

elephants

Whatever rage Linus faces for his sponsor slot, it's his own authoritarian views coming back to bite him.

Linus wants to tell how NVIDIA run their marketing department.

Linus wants to tell manufacturers what is the minimum age of workers it is allowed to hire.

And now he faces the ire of low-esteem critics who want to tell him what sponsors are allowed.

I thought the mobile game sponsor was a meme -- it was the funniest sponsor spot yet. I had no opinion before, but now i thing pay-to-win games help society by teaching people about life. It's no less reprehensible than getting young people into massive debt for a college education that is still inferior to free youtube videos.

• 1 month later...