to go WIFI or not?

MorbidNature

Hi everyone,

So i recently moved and im having a bit of an issue with the networking.

iv'e tried using a power line adapter and while it does work (using a TP-Link AV1300),but its not on the same fuse as the source so there are some issues, speeds drops and very short disconnects mostly (and i know its the power line adapter since disconnecting and reconnecting it solves the speed issue).

So im thinking of going WIFI, reception shouldn't be a huge issue since its about 15 feet away (and no cant run i wires - GF wount let me) and speeds shouldn't be much of an issue since we are only getting 40MB down/ 4 up in this house (until we get fiber in the area :( )but its the PCMR brain in me saying "WIFI BAD, ETHERNET GOOD".

so before i go wifi. wanted to know if you had any other creative ideas that might solve the issue or if im just a dummy and go wifi and be done with it

ill probably just get a new motherboard with WIFI built in (probably a GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Ultra)

4 minutes ago, MorbidNature said:

and no cant run i wires - GF wount let me

If your girlfriend knows that you have frequent disconnections and other issues with Internet-access and won't let you run a cable to fix the situation, she's kind of a bitch. It's pretty easy to run a cable to a corner, then up on the ceiling in a way that it's not distracting or anything.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

i dont like wifi at all, cable is the law. Wifi is great for mobile devices, laptops, smartphones and stuff, but for a pc, i would alwause go cable, wifi only like a temporary solucion. I have wifi card, and use it only when i muve to new location, until i get proper cable.

22 minutes ago, MorbidNature said:

Hi everyone,

So i recently moved and im having a bit of an issue with the networking.

iv'e tried using a power line adapter and while it does work (using a TP-Link AV1300),but its not on the same fuse as the source so there are some issues, speeds drops and very short disconnects mostly (and i know its the power line adapter since disconnecting and reconnecting it solves the speed issue).

So im thinking of going WIFI, reception shouldn't be a huge issue since its about 15 feet away (and no cant run i wires - GF wount let me) and speeds shouldn't be much of an issue since we are only getting 40MB down/ 4 up in this house (until we get fiber in the area :( )but its the PCMR brain in me saying "WIFI BAD, ETHERNET GOOD".

so before i go wifi. wanted to know if you had any other creative ideas that might solve the issue or if im just a dummy and go wifi and be done with it

ill probably just get a new motherboard with WIFI built in (probably a GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Ultra)

Just do a very good job at tiding up and hiding the cables. and everything will be alright. Nothing beats a cable and no you don't need a new motherboard for WiFi, just get a usb adapter and there are access points that also have client mode and you can connect to them with ethernet

7 minutes ago, Luka95 said:

i think pci wifi cards are better than usb wifi sticks.

I guess they are yes but being at the back of the computer they may get poor reception, while a usb adapter can be repositioned more easily. In any case you should get a wifi adapter with removable antennas so that if the reception is bad you can at least upgrade to higher gain antennas

4 minutes ago, Luka95 said:

yes but i think you can change antenas on all wifi adapters.

Not all,  in cheap adapters antennas are build in 

1 minute ago, Biomecanoid said:

In any case you should get a wifi adapter with removable antennas so that if the reception is bad you can at least upgrade to higher gain antennas

High gain does not necessarily equal better reception. Gain affects the shape of the area of reach.

antenna-length-vs-dbi.png.e3cf043e435e6eb7aff99685dfbdd33f.png

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

15 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

Just do a very good job at tiding up and hiding the cables. and everything will be alright. Nothing beats a cable and no you don't need a new motherboard for WiFi, just get a usb adapter and there are access points that also have client mode and you can connect to them with ethernet

The cable would have to go throw a problematic doorway, which set her off, drilling is also not an option unfortunately

7 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

High gain does not necessarily equal better reception. Gain affects the shape of the area of reach.

antenna-length-vs-dbi.png.e3cf043e435e6eb7aff99685dfbdd33f.png

Your image just shows different types of antennas with different characteristics.

First 3 antennas are directional like Panels, Grid or sectors while the last one is an omni

This is the article where you got your image:

https://www.netxl.com/blog/networking/antenna-gain/

and quote:

"Some people think that a higher gain antenna will give them the strongest signal and highest quality connection. This is true in some cases, but in certain applications too much gain can be a bad thing"

in our case in-doors there are 2 things we can do upgrade the antennas or increase the output power which not all adapter support that. Also we can not use directional antenna to make wireless links in-doors because of their size and because we want 360 degrees coverage.

Higher gain may effect the radiation pattern but that is compensated by making the antenna bigger.

16 minutes ago, MorbidNature said:

The cable would have to go throw a problematic doorway, which set her off, drilling is also not an option unfortunately

This is flat ethernet cable as well that you can slide under doors

download.jpg

15 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

-SNIP-

So, you're just saying what I said, but in more words?

6 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

So, you're just saying what I said, but in more words?

No,  higher gain with a bigger antenna you get more signal and that's the only practical way to go in-doors

No,  higher gain with a bigger antenna you get more signal and that's the only practical way to go in-doors

And I said that high gain does not necessarily equal better signal-quality. So we agree on that; one has to look at more than just the gain of the antenna.

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

And I said that high gain does not necessarily equal better signal-quality. So we agree on that; one has to look at more than just the gain of the antenna.

I do not agree. So what is your solution for better signal quality then ?

23 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

This is flat ethernet cable as well that you can slide under doors

download.jpg

the problem is it would have to go through the hinge side and would have to loop the doorway from the top, back down - to my table, not to mention sticking the cable to the wall, like a said not exactly aesthetically pleasing

4 minutes ago, MorbidNature said:

any recommendation for a wifi PCIE card and a good antenna ?

Anything with Atheros chipset is among the best. More antennas means more speed and bigger higher db antennas mean more signal reception.

2 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

I do not agree. So what is your solution for better signal quality then ?

You are misunderstanding something here. Higher gain does not necessarily equal better signal, the antenna's directionality has to also be suitable for the purpose. Replacing an omnidirectional 2dBi antenna with a 9dBi, highly-directional antenna can very well mean terrible connection or none at all, so yes, one has to look at more than just the gain-rating. That is literally all I said.

2 minutes ago, MorbidNature said:

any recommendation for a wifi PCIE card and a good antenna ?

Cards using Intel's AX200 are both cheap and good, and you can buy antennas from quite literally any store that sells networking- or PC-components.

You are misunderstanding something here. Higher gain does not necessarily equal better signal, the antenna's directionality has to also be suitable for the purpose. Replacing an omnidirectional 2dBi antenna with a 9dBi, highly-directional antenna can very well mean terrible connection or none at all, so yes, one has to look at more than just the gain-rating. That is literally all I said.

And what is that "MORE" we have to look for ? can you specify that ?

Just now, Biomecanoid said:

And what is that "MORE" we have to look for ? can you specify that ?

For fuck's sakes, I JUST SAID THAT.

the antenna's directionality has to also be suitable for the purpose

For fuck's sakes, I JUST SAID THAT.

in-doors we only have ONE type of antennas OMNIS. So there is no point in discussing antenna types or directionality. in-doors if you replace a 2db OMNI antenna with a 10db OMNI antenna reception is better. 

in-doors we only have ONE type of antennas OMNIS. So there is no point in discussing antenna types or directionality. in-doors if you replace a 2db OMNI antenna with a 10db OMNI antenna reception is better. 

I give up. You keep harping at me because you keep reading something to what I said that I never did say.