How can I make my system look and perform great for £250-£300

carmadman

This is my pc now

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/6LggGc

9392E5FA-F1D4-4044-9B9A-4A112A113D6E.jpeg

4F47CDDC-2CF6-4BAF-91B7-68C47E0194FC.jpeg

972EABDD-8475-47F9-ADC3-6AD409F834EC.jpeg

4200242A-693C-472A-BD72-7CD9700CB661.jpeg

Moving the ram into slots 2+4 (instead of 1+2 currently) could help for free.

Depends on what the system is used for, but if gaming, agree with above. GPU and CPU upgrade would give a significant boost in performance. SSD even if just for OS would help a lot with general responsiveness. I'd consider a new SSD at least of the 240GB class, if not 500GB ball park. CPU and GPU might have more options looking at used, don't think I'd recommend anything new in the ball park.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, porina said:

Moving the ram into slots 2+4 (instead of 1+2 currently) could help for free.

Depends on what the system is used for, but if gaming, agree with above. GPU and CPU upgrade would give a significant boost in performance. SSD even if just for OS would help a lot with general responsiveness. I'd consider a new SSD at least of the 240GB class, if not 500GB ball park. CPU and GPU might have more options looking at used, don't think I'd recommend anything new in the ball park.

How do I move the ram

1) Move your slots 1-2 to 2-4

2) Add a Ryzen 3 3100 or Ryzen 5 3600 (Depends on your budget but it would be definitely a + if you get the 3600) ( The 2 cpu comes with cooler so you could sell your old cpu with your old cooler) (You could also wait for Ryzen 3 5000 but that might not be in your budget)

3) Upgrade your GPU to the cheapest RTX 3000 that will release (It could be during CES 2021 (Jaunuary 11 to 14)

4) When you have all your things, it would be good to do some cable management so it looks better)

5) Any SSD

Hope your upgrade goes well :)

6 minutes ago, carmadman said:

How do I move the ram

By physically moving it. Remove the RAM sticks from their slots (release the two small tabs) then slot them back into the slots the others have mentioned.

~edit: To give some background: Right now the RAM probably runs in a single channel configuration. If you move them to the alternate slots they should run in dual channel, which gives you more RAM bandwidth.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Great suggestions above, in terms of "looking" good, I'd suggest a CPU upgrade, then get yourself a standalone GPU first. If you have change leftover, then I'd start with some relatively cheap cable extensions for your PSU (£25-£30 here in the UK off amazon, for example), then sort your cable management out and finally maybe add some cheap RGB fans if that's your thing?

Whats the case out of interest, looks very simlar to my Aerocool Cylon mini, but yours looks to be full ATX size and is slightly better as it has a PSU basement/shroud? I've modded mine to make it look better (I'm all about aesthetics) and made a cheap PSU shroud (which you already have) and then used some carbon fibre vinyl to cover up some of the ugly/cheap finished edges of the case that are visible through the side panel. You can do a lot with ~£10 of vinyl! 

2 minutes ago, Bouncewasp said:

Great suggestions above, in terms of "looking" good, I'd suggest a CPU upgrade, then get yourself a standalone GPU first. If you have change leftover, then I'd start with some relatively cheap cable extensions for your PSU (£25-£30 here in the UK off amazon, for example), then sort your cable management out and finally maybe add some cheap RGB fans if that's your thing?

Whats the case out of interest, looks very simlar to my Aerocool Cylon mini, but yours looks to be full ATX size and is slightly better as it has a PSU basement/shroud? I've modded mine to make it look better (I'm all about aesthetics) and made a cheap PSU shroud (which you already have) and then used some carbon fibre vinyl to cover up some of the ugly/cheap finishes edges of the case that are visible through the side panel. You can do a lot with ~£10 of vinyl! 

My case is an aerocool bolt