How to find Chinese power supplies without 40$ shipping

8tg

How many of you have hunted for high end segotep or Aigo units to find one without excessively high shipping costs?

it seems every seller has them with excessively high shipping from aliexpress or eBay, I’m struggling to find something with under 20$ shipping

i was looking into the segotep gp series because they have 500 and 600 watt 80+ platinum options in white and red which seems like a really cool color scheme to go with, can’t really find that in domestic selling brands in the US

alternative was to do some painting but I’d prefer an off the shelf option and I’m okay with like, 20$ shipping, but these units are already expensive enough without 40-60$ shipping

972150F9-A22F-43A0-AEC5-4517CC4A7D62.jpeg.8007fba704aefc7819f3659770de238e.jpeg
if any of you have any suggestions on where to find these with reasonable shipping costs, let me know

i currently have an Aigo ES850 and I want to use that for something else, and use one of these platinum segoteps in a new build with this color scheme 

Why are PSUs always upside down?  o.o

but seriously, where do you even find this? link

I searched... I found some segotep on ali express, but not this one, all with *free shipping*

I also found this specific model, for 32 euros or something, but you have to buy 500 of them lol...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Why are PSUs always upside down?  o.o

but seriously, where do you even find this? link

I searched... I found some segotep on ali express, but not this one, all with *free shipping*

I also found this specific model, for 32 euros or something, but you have to buy 500 of them lol...

Aliexpress has a couple of the variants 

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32824114589.html?_randl_currency=USD&_randl_shipto=US&src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=494-037-6276&isdl=y&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&aff_platform=google&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&&albagn=888888&albcp=9317063908&albag=94962804715&trgt=296730740870&crea=en32824114589&netw=u&device=m&albpg=296730740870&albpd=en32824114589&gclid=CjwKCAiA_9r_BRBZEiwAHZ_v1ylVotanpRtE3N3vmtRLWnxd8W9fhiT4A1o5xSyDCOWVhbXN9ZiPrhoCbuIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

sorry for the huge link, aliexpress does that

there’s one on gear best too with 15$ shipping but it has a ship date of March 

Oh and the reason they’re always upside down is because certain styles of cases with top mounted power supplies are still more popular in China and Russia , so they’re oriented with the fan on the bottom 

I'd just go with the custom painting. Having a power supply that looks truly like no other is even better and doesn't involve importing stuff from China.

11 minutes ago, 8tg said:

sorry for the huge link, aliexpress does that

there’s one on gear best too with 15$ shipping but it has a ship date of March 

its weird I tried changing the shipping destination but its not changing... USA only apparently, or its a bug... however I couldn't find it on my own as said. 

I thought the shipping might change since usually every thing from Ali express has free shipping here... 

Anyways nice power supply, but are they really good or is it mostly for looks? just curious 

12 minutes ago, 8tg said:

top mounted power supplies are still more popular in China and Russia , so they’re oriented with the fan on the bottom 

well I have an inwin 301 case, top is the only place a psu should go therfore in my opinion. I still don't know why it's upside down. UwU 

oh I see now, I checked, my PSU is really upside down, shoulda bought a Chinese or Russian one.  

20210107_230529.thumb.jpg.867e178a83c6feba147055583b496487.jpg

ʕ•ٹ•ʔ

well I'm sorry, I can't help, I thought maybe I find something but Ali express is being weird... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, 8tg said:

How many of you have hunted for high end segotep or Aigo units to find one without excessively high shipping costs?

It costs A LOT to ship from China unless you're shipping container loads.

10 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Anyways nice power supply, but are they really good or is it mostly for looks? just curious 

I don’t really know, segotep does make some decent options, some are on the psu list. I’ve never seen anything on these platinum ones though, might be great, might be about as good as the gold ones that are everywhere, might be trash

i just want the colors

9 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

my Aigo one I got was expensive but still only had 10$ shipping, I can see the cost for large items like cases, but even they only have 50-60$ shipping

if I can’t find it for cheaper, I’ll eat the shipping cost but I just see it as slightly higher shipping costs than expected 

I managed to find this one on gearbest so I’m gonna order this one

think it’s gonna be the best price I can find 

66AD3CD2-9DE0-4817-89FA-C3B290498585.png.42387e11a9b1765497c9d8f98dc0aef0.png

19 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

on the contrary, shipping from China (or Asia in general) is usually free, it's one of their strongest selling points... yes, you'll wait a few weeks, but it'll arrive, and shipping is free. I bought many things from Hong Kong and Japan this way (I recommend their KitKat™ especially) 

20210107_232239.thumb.jpg.53b9f277d750e250a21a21913cc6f4e9.jpg

"kostenlos"  means "free"  :)

However, this specific model... 

20210107_232251.thumb.jpg.5b63eb9f94489c6edd2522af3561c68a.jpg

"50 bucks" and I cannot change the destination either, something fishy going on there lol. 🤷🏼

9 minutes ago, 8tg said:

I don’t really know, segotep does make some decent options, some are on the psu list. I’ve never seen anything on these platinum ones though, might be great, might be about as good as the gold ones that are everywhere, might be trash

i just want the colors

my Aigo one I got was expensive but still only had 10$ shipping, I can see the cost for large items like cases, but even they only have 50-60$ shipping

if I can’t find it for cheaper, I’ll eat the shipping cost but I just see it as slightly higher shipping costs than expected 

I see, yeah shipping seems excessive, especially for 2 weeks, usually you'd get 3 day delivery for 50 bucks (been there done that lol)  😂 

Edit: nice!  that looks more reasonable 👍 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, 8tg said:

my Aigo one I got was expensive but still only had 10$ shipping

You know what amortization is, right?  They absorb the cost of shipping into the product.

And, depending on how long ago you got the Aigo, could have been before shipping costs from China skyrocketed.

https://seller.alibaba.com/businessblogs/px6e5w75-latest-trends-in-ocean-and-air-freight-rates

First it was PPE shipping out of China, and now:

"So we have air freight rates coming out of China going up because of the introduction of the new iPhone, because of the introduction of Play Station 5 and because of the fact that products are in high demand anyway,”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-who-vaccines/air-freight-prices-outrageous-as-covid-19-shots-rolled-out-says-who-expert-idUSKBN28I2RM

13 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

I don't have that experience actually. Does it depend a lot on what products you order?

I personally order LiPo batteries on AliExpress every now and then and I've not noticed any increase in shipping cost. This is just a random one I picked for instance:

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/33052833385.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.33ea160dRXWjsM&algo_pvid=5e14ce9a-52f2-42fa-9f8d-443ce8bf4354&algo_expid=5e14ce9a-52f2-42fa-9f8d-443ce8bf4354-6&btsid=2100bdd816101067639172722e5c7f&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

In fact the shipping cost is sometimes even lower than that of ordering something from a local retailer.

Nonetheless I prefer buying things locally as I hate waiting for an item to arrive for multiple weeks.

6 hours ago, akio123008 said:

I don't have that experience actually. Does it depend a lot on what products you order?

I personally order LiPo batteries on AliExpress every now and then and I've not noticed any increase in shipping cost. This is just a random one I picked for instance:

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/33052833385.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.33ea160dRXWjsM&algo_pvid=5e14ce9a-52f2-42fa-9f8d-443ce8bf4354&algo_expid=5e14ce9a-52f2-42fa-9f8d-443ce8bf4354-6&btsid=2100bdd816101067639172722e5c7f&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

In fact the shipping cost is sometimes even lower than that of ordering something from a local retailer.

Nonetheless I prefer buying things locally as I hate waiting for an item to arrive for multiple weeks.

If you haven't seen a shipping price increase, it's like I said:  They're amortizing the cost of shipping into the product price.

30 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

If you haven't seen a shipping price increase, it's like I said:  They're amortizing the cost of shipping into the product price

Oh yeah for sure it may have increased. I mean I haven't been keeping an eye on the prices that well, but that's certainly quite possible.

But then still, I don't see how it could be as expensive as say 40 dollars. I've never had more than 10 euros of shipping cost on anything I ordered from there, most of the time less than 5 even.

And they may sure be amortising some extra cost into the products, but that still wouldn't make it more than 20 dollars in total. If that were the case I'd certainly have noticed the price increase on the products themselves. 

What I'm curious about though, is if they might increase shipping costs more on more expensive items because those would allow for putting more shipping cost into the price of the product without people noticing. 

Well... I ship computer parts to and from China every single day and I've seen my shipping costs double (at the least) over the past year.  So....

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Well... I ship computer parts to and from China every single day and I've seen my shipping costs double (at the least) over the past year.  So....

I suppose so, but when it doubles from 2 to 4 dollars, or even from 4 to 8 that's still not:

On 1/7/2021 at 11:10 PM, jonnyGURU said:

It costs A LOT to ship from China

or as the OP put it "40 dollars".

At least as far as products that aren't PSUs go, I haven't experienced such redicilous shipping costs. Chinese webshops would all be out of business if that were the case. 

1 hour ago, akio123008 said:

I suppose so, but when it doubles from 2 to 4 dollars, or even from 4 to 8 that's still not:

or as the OP put it "40 dollars".

At least as far as products that aren't PSUs go, I haven't experienced such redicilous shipping costs. Chinese webshops would all be out of business if that were the case. 

I feel like we're going around and around here.

Power supplies are big and heavy.  $20 was normal.  $40 is normal today.  That's "a lot" of difference in my opinion.  If OP was paying only $10 for shipping, the actual shipping costs were amortized into the cost of the product.

On 1/7/2021 at 2:29 PM, Mark Kaine said:

on the contrary, shipping from China (or Asia in general) is usually free, it's one of their strongest selling points... yes, you'll wait a few weeks, but it'll arrive, and shipping is free. I bought many things from Hong Kong and Japan this way (I recommend their KitKat™ especially) 

"kostenlos"  means "free"  :)

You're joking, right?  You must be because I don't think anyone actually believes that any courier on the face of this Earth works for free.

7 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

You're joking, right?  You must be because I don't think anyone actually believes that any courier on the face of this Earth works for free.

No, because as I told you I did it many times, it's because they send in bulk, in containers and as I said it can take a long time (up to 2 months or something). 

of course they will incorporate the cost somehow, but the point is their way of sending things is extremely cheap, for example I bought 5 games for 20 bucks, with *free shipping* from Japan (used) so how much could the actual shipping be? 1 or 2 bucks if that much... 

I'm a bit baffled you don't know that, but I suppose you don't often buy at  sellers like this (as I said I did many times) 

Of course this will be different if you buy things for industrial production, then you need assurance and whatnot... 

1567769387_Screenshot_20210109-013829_SamsungInternetBeta.thumb.jpg.95c2602ac13f3830714ddf601e0c037f.jpg

for example, this is absolutely the norm for many items from Asia, and they aren't over msrp or anything... even *free* returns!  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, akio123008 said:

Exactly, they're trying to rip him off... he even found it cheaper, with much lower and more reasonable shipping...

Here's pages of PSUs from China with *free shipping *

https://m.de.aliexpress.com/wholesale/psu.html?channel=direct&keywords=psu

(if the link works) 

410759130_Screenshot_20210109-014658_SamsungInternetBeta.thumb.jpg.25f746dc204e98591ccf42c54ba666b9.jpg

(this dumb site won't let me change regions lol... it's in German but with dollar prices haha, however kostenlos means free, obviously) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

No, because as I told you I did it many times, it's because they send in bulk, in containers and as I said it can take a long time (up to 2 months or something). 

of course they will incorporate the cost somehow, but the point is their way of sending things is extremely cheap, for example I bought 5 games for 20 bucks, with *free shipping* from Japan (used) so how much could the actual shipping be? 1 or 2 bucks if that much... 

I'm a bit baffled you don't know that, but I suppose you don't often buy at  sellers like this (as I said I did many times) 

Of course this will be different if you buy things for industrial production, then you need assurance and whatnot... 

1567769387_Screenshot_20210109-013829_SamsungInternetBeta.thumb.jpg.95c2602ac13f3830714ddf601e0c037f.jpg

for example, this is absolutely the norm for many items from Asia, and they aren't over msrp or anything... even *free* returns!  

Shipping IS NOT FREE.  Ever.  Free for you dowdy mean it doesn't cost anything to ship.  Even without insurance.  Shipping tiny Switch games doesn't cost as much as a 10 pound PSU, but it's not "free". 

On 1/7/2021 at 1:02 PM, 8tg said:

it seems every seller has them with excessively high shipping from aliexpress or eBay, I’m struggling to find something with under 20$ shipping

i was looking into the segotep gp series because they have 500 and 600 watt 80+ platinum options in white and red which seems like a really cool color scheme to go with, can’t really find that in domestic selling brands in the US

alternative was to do some painting but I’d prefer an off the shelf option and I’m okay with like, 20$ shipping, but these units are already expensive enough without 40-60$ shipping

972150F9-A22F-43A0-AEC5-4517CC4A7D62.jpeg.8007fba704aefc7819f3659770de238e.jpeg
if any of you have any suggestions on where to find these with reasonable shipping costs, let me know

i currently have an Aigo ES850 and I want to use that for something else, and use one of these platinum segoteps in a new build with this color scheme 

PSU's are going to cost an arm and a leg to ship from China.  There was recently a huge PSU shortage where you couldn't buy any well made and popular PSU anywhere in North America, and then when they started arriving again, there were huge space and queue issues with shipping and the ports, driving up prices and keeping the shortage going.  And now that most major brands are available again, the shipping costs are still going to eat you up.

Here you can quite often buy something cheap from China posted for less than a stamp would cost.

You can send a package cheaper from China internationally than locally domestic.

Universal Postal Union

Basically China gets subsidised postage to other countries and also often dropships direct or consolidates large consignments to then dispatch within the destination country.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fortune.com/2015/03/11/united-nations-subsidy-chinese-shipping/amp/

It is going up though and about time too.

https://www.joc.com/regulation-policy/new-era-dawns-universal-postal-union_20200108.html

https://amp.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3033081/china-pay-triple-overseas-postal-deliveries-2025-package-deal (Paywall but you get the drift)

13 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Power supplies are big and heavy.  $20 was normal.  $40 is normal today.  That's "a lot" of difference in my opinion.  If OP was paying only $10 for shipping, the actual shipping costs were amortized into the cost of the product.

Problem is, that's just not at all the experience I have when shipping from China. Never have I paid more than 5 euros of shipping cost.

If you don't believe me, here's a link to a 24 dollar power supply with 52 cents of shipping costs:

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4000346739641.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.22f55aa2unPCNR&algo_pvid=b8fc8524-4d5e-4fdd-8ae8-c5af88146bdf&algo_expid=b8fc8524-4d5e-4fdd-8ae8-c5af88146bdf-17&btsid=2100bdd816102002934757281e5c37&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

There's essentially no shipping cost. And even if the shipping cost was amortised into the cost of the product, the shipping cost would still be very low, because the damned thing only costs 24 dollars to begin with.

That's the thing also often

the items with free shipping are cheaper overall, so for all intends and purposes for the customer it's free. 

They don't have these thingies for no reason!

914f4cbf6f551aa2e43f316793f7eaf1.jpg.164a177708ab863b98e3e7201199799d.jpg

(Hong Kong harbor btw) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux