Buying a new laptop

Hi,

I need some help with choosing a new laptop :D It would be mainly used for uni work and some light gaming such as CS. One of the laptops that I am currently looking at is Lenovo P50s as I could get one for quite cheap, but I am a bit afraid of the GPU (Nvidia Quadro m500m). Would it be able to run some light gaming with decent FPS? If not, could you suggest any other laptops within the 800$ price range?

Thank you in advance :)

10 minutes ago, La Jake said:

Hi,

I need some help with choosing a new laptop :D It would be mainly used for uni work and some light gaming such as CS. One of the laptops that I am currently looking at is Lenovo P50s as I could get one for quite cheap, but I am a bit afraid of the GPU (Nvidia Quadro m500m). Would it be able to run some light gaming with decent FPS? If not, could you suggest any other laptops within the 800$ price range?

Thank you in advance :)

I think the m500m is similar to the 930M, avoid that even for light gaming I have a 940MX and even games like CSGO sometimes sucks on it. What region are you in? There are decent amount of laptops (Such as the Acer Nitro 5) with a 1650 or 1660 for around $800 USD.

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

I wouldn’t buy a P50S personally, for the price it would be worth losing the dgpu for a more modern thinkpad with better battery life and similar performance. Something like a T480 for example, reference:

F8A57EF0-F68F-485E-9175-89129F7BCC94.png.7f353d0d1e0732297b2cca0ab8f9620d.png

And the 8th gen igpu will play csgo and other esports titles fine, plenty of videos on that for reference.

Something like that will warrant substantially better battery life than a 6th gen mobile workstation, which is a lot more important than having a dedicated gpu when you actually need the mobility.

30 minutes ago, SlashedM said:

I think the m500m is similar to the 930M, avoid that even for light gaming I have a 940MX and even games like CSGO sometimes sucks on it. What region are you in? There are decent amount of laptops (Such as the Acer Nitro 5) with a 1650 or 1660 for around $800 USD.

Thanks I will take  it into consideration :) Im from Eastern Europe so basically whatever you can get in the US for 600-800$ will be like 1000 EUR over here :(