Hifiman Sundara driver crinkling sound?

Recently I got my pair of Hifiman Sundaras and while I love how they sound, the left cpu seems to make a soft "chirping/crinkling/crackling/twinkling" sound at the slightest vibration of the cup. Moving my head strongly, jaw, a soft tap or pressing gently on the cup etc. all make it audible independent of audio volume. The right cup is completely fine and sound quality does not seem to be impacted at all in my ears.

I started googling and reading from other people this is something that can happen with planar magnetic headphones, and according to Audeze it is completely normal and due to a pressure difference. It only happens when wearing the headphones. If the seal between the cup and head is broken, or if I cover the outside of the cup it disappears, so the air pressure argument is sounds spot on to me.

I guess my simple dumb question is: is this indeed a somewhat common issue with planar magnetic headphones or is it worth trying / should I try for an RMA?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I would certainly try for an RMA if possible. I've had plenty of planar headphones (including the Sundara), and non of them have done anything like that. If it's enough of an annoyance, I would certainly try contacting HiFiMan about getting your pair repaired or replaced.

I've had electrostatic headphones that did something akin to what you describe, but that technology is also a lot more sensitive to vibrations and pressure.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

7 minutes ago, Volbet said:

I would certainly try for an RMA if possible. I've had plenty of planar headphones (including the Sundara), and non of them have done anything like that. If it's enough of an annoyance, I would certainly try contacting HiFiMan about getting your pair repaired or replaced.

Hmm thought so. I was hoping I could maybe tune it out, but now I know it's there can't unhear it. I bought it through an Amazon-like platform here and after checking my account, all they can offer is return it, get a refund and buy it again.

10 minutes ago, Volbet said:

I've had electrostatic headphones that did something akin to what you describe, but that technology is also a lot more sensitive to vibrations and pressure.

I see. Thanks. I'll start an RMA then and get another one when I get my money back.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

11 hours ago, The Torrent said:

I have had many planar headphones but not sundara specifically and say this is normal. 

7 hours ago, rice guru said:

this is normal. rather tham am issue it's more widely accepted as a caveat to a planar headphones.

Ah ok. Thanks for chipping in with that. The dealer first thought I was touching the diapragm with my fingers and said it was normal in that case, but after explaining again they agreed to exchange it for a replacement. That one should arrive over the next few days. I'll give an update then. If it doesn't have it, that's awesome, but if it does I'll just accept it then.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my new unit after some delayed shipping and I'm happy to say no crinkling or chirping in this one whatsoever 🙂 Glad I tried an RMA.