PC shutting down after 30 minutes of simply being on.

D1finity

So I've been having a real annoying issue with my PC that I've built last year.. Recently just upgraded parts like the gpu and psu. I've been gaming and using it just fine up until 4 days ago when it started to shut down, I thought that it was random and might've been a PSU issue. I started a timer and exactly after 30 minutes it just shuts off. I've tested another psu and it still shuts off. I went into bios safe mode and left it on, again 30 minutes later it shuts off. So it wasn't a issue with Windows. I don't think it's a over heating issue because I left speccy open to read temps and they seemed normal at 40 degrees Celsius or so. I reset CMOs battery and even replaced it as someone told me it might that. Has this happened to anyone? Should there be further troubleshooting I should do? :/

are you sure the computer isnt just going to sleep? or is it shutting down while in use? if second one do a virus scan?

OUTDATED JAN 2021 ===========> Check out my pc building guide! might be useful tho

It's great for planning new builds, getting a reference on where to start, or seeing what you need to play what games.

It also shows what I recommend for upgrading your stuff!

cpu - ryzen 5 3600

gpu - gtx 1070

ram - (2x8) 3200mhz

ssd - 970 evo plus 500gb

ssd2 - 860 qvo 1tb

mobo - asrock b450m hdv r4.0

psu - evga b5 550w bronze

Have you checked gpu temps? I had an issue where my pc would shut off because my old gpu overheated after 30 mins 

It shuts off completely, I have to then turn it back on and after another 30 minutes it does again. Also I'm not using my gpu when it goes off so Idk if it would over heat from being idle? If i put it into sleep mode at 29 mins, it will reset that 30 minute shutdown so maybe it might be malware, I'll do a virus scan, which do you prefer me to use? Windows detecter detects nothing..

honestly I'd try to install windows on a cheap crucial ssd or something... remove all other drives beforehand, and also reset CMOS again., this is probably just some weird setting somewhere, possibly even in bios, however it also seems a pain to troubleshoot so a complete fresh install should hopefully fix it...!? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

32 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

honestly I'd try to install windows on a cheap crucial ssd or something... remove all other drives beforehand, and also reset CMOS again., this is probably just some weird setting somewhere, possibly even in bios, however it also seems a pain to troubleshoot so a complete fresh install should hopefully fix it...!? 

Hmm I kind of thought it might be something about Windows and the drives, but I disconnected both my ssd that has windows and my 2tb hdd, it still goes off. So the problem lies in bios probably. I'm on a really old version of bios for this particular mobo, but trying to update it was a no go. Wouldn't even update. Resetting the bios didn't do it either. I may just have to replace the mobo honestly, troubleshooting it has been a pain..

8 hours ago, D1finity said:

So I've been having a real annoying issue with my PC that I've built last year.. Recently just upgraded parts like the gpu and psu. I've been gaming and using it just fine up until 4 days ago when it started to shut down, I thought that it was random and might've been a PSU issue. I started a timer and exactly after 30 minutes it just shuts off. I've tested another psu and it still shuts off. I went into bios safe mode and left it on, again 30 minutes later it shuts off. So it wasn't a issue with Windows. I don't think it's a over heating issue because I left speccy open to read temps and they seemed normal at 40 degrees Celsius or so. I reset CMOs battery and even replaced it as someone told me it might that. Has this happened to anyone? Should there be further troubleshooting I should do? :/

First, try booting something like Ubuntu from USB stick to confirm windows isn't the issue.

Second, does someone else have access to your PC? I had issue with the Fujitsu server, that some (censored word) person set up automatic turn-offs every day at 04:00 in iRMC and forgot about it. Took me two weeks to find this (you do not normally think someone would do something this stupid). This survived even iRMC re-flash. So check you BIOS for something like this.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2021 at 5:38 AM, Fragment323 said:

First, try booting something like Ubuntu from USB stick to confirm windows isn't the issue.

Second, does someone else have access to your PC? I had issue with the Fujitsu server, that some (censored word) person set up automatic turn-offs every day at 04:00 in iRMC and forgot about it. Took me two weeks to find this (you do not normally think someone would do something this stupid). This survived even iRMC re-flash. So check you BIOS for something like this.

Nobody has access to my pc except me, it's a personal pc I game on. Btw I ordered a new motherboard which hopefully will fix the issue, but still idk what caused the issue..

18 hours ago, D1finity said:

Nobody has access to my pc except me, it's a personal pc I game on. Btw I ordered a new motherboard which hopefully will fix the issue, but still idk what caused the issue..

I hope new MB helps.

Is your old MB by any chance still under warranty? You could RMA it if you confirm it is the problem. And then sell it, if fixed, and keep newer one.