Mantle API Vs. DirectX Thief Benchmarks

Mr.Duck

Dont feed the nVidia troll. In other news, wccftech isnt a source to be trusted. Other than masquerading factually inaccurate content as news, they dont really do any journalism themselves. They repost stuff from some shady corners of the internet. Fox News and The Onion have more newsworthiness than these guys. For some reason, the OP keeps using it. The original source, in german isnt a well known source either. I'll reserve judgement until someone with some real street cred benchmarks this. 

how does him not caring about a certain game make him an nvidia troll?  

However, that statement does make you sound like an AMD fanboi...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

how does him not caring about a certain game make him an nvidia troll?  

However, that statement does make you sound like an AMD fanboi...

The bench shows that Mantle performs better than DX right?. Im saying Id rather reserve judgement until a more credible benchmark. How am I a fanboy again? 

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

The bench shows that Mantle performs better than DX right?. Im saying Id rather reserve judgement until a more credible benchmark. How am I a fanboy again? 

you quoted the guy responding to the that this test is on a game no one cares about, saying not to feed the nvidia troll...  the fact that you're calling someone out as an "nvidia" troll over a game title makes me think you're an AMD troll

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

you quoted the guy responding to the that this test is on a game no one cares about, saying not to feed the nvidia troll...  the fact that you're calling someone out as an "nvidia" troll over a game title makes me think you're an AMD troll

If you feel like wasting your time, go ahead and search the guys other posts in any thread that's AMD related. Take a look at what other people have to say as well. Get back to me when you know whats going on. Cool?

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

I would gladly take the ~20% performance increase you get with a 290X at 1080p if I was interested in Thief. I would have liked to know what CPU they used though. "I am pretty sure it was a i7-4770K (downlocked, no HTT)" is not good enough for me.

I am more interested in what kind of results you get with for example an overclocked 8350 or overclocked i5-4570K.

To be Honest, I'm just not that impressed, in the grander scheme of things you either pay out and get good performance or you spend your life making tweaks to get reasonable performance.   In a years time (which is blip on the tech radar) who is going to be weighing up a few frames when the difference in GPU is $50 and there are other factors that play a larger role in performance? Plus I don't know about anyone else but I can never tell the difference between 50fps and 60fps or above anyway, In fact I rarely even have an FPS monitor running so I wouldn't know half the time what it is anyway.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If you feel like wasting your time, go ahead and search the guys other posts in any thread that's AMD related. Take a look at what other people have to say as well. Get back to me when you know whats going on. Cool?

if thats the case, I take back my comments on the subject, I was only going off what I saw in this thread.

No way in hell the 780ti only runs at 87FPS at 720p.....

No way in hell the 780ti only runs at 87FPS at 720p.....

Looks like few card hit CPU bottleneck wall at 720p.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Well this is disappointing to me. My hope was Mantle helping more with higher resolutions. Well DX12 here I come.

(sneezes) "Sorry I'm allergic to bullshit"

Reading the article, its most likely intentionally handicapped 4770K simulating low end CPU, which suggests that it will have probably near zero difference if CPU reaches certain level.

Basically, its a tech for budget gamer.

Reading the article, its most likely intentionally handicapped 4770K simulating low end CPU, which suggests that it will have probably near zero difference if CPU reaches certain level.

Basically, its a tech for budget gamer.

BF4 runs much smoother for me with mantle, I would never go back to dx on BF4.  (on my high end pc)

I wouldn't say the tech is just for budget gamers, mid/high range are going to need optimizations to keep high framerates for VR, preferably with lots of AA. (probably will end up around 90hz)

That means star citizen is going to need mantle to make oculus rift for a bunch of users comfortable.

Optimization with occlusion culling is going to be extremely important too.

To be Honest, I'm just not that impressed,

Really? It's certainly better performance gains than going up a price tier or a generation, for free. So it might not be ideal for all situations and it's only available on 2 games both (arguably) mediocre sure, but who turns his head at free stuff? Other than resentful and overzealous Nvidia "ethusiasts" so to speak

-------

Current Rig

-------

Really? It's certainly better performance gains than going up a price tier or a generation, for free. So it might not be ideal for all situations and it's only available on 2 games both (arguably) mediocre sure, but who turns his head at free stuff? Other than resentful and overzealous Nvidia "ethusiasts" so to speak

In a years time (which is blip on the tech radar) who is going to be weighing up a few frames when the difference in GPU is $50 and there are other factors that play a larger role in performance? Plus I don't know about anyone else but I can never tell the difference between 50fps and 60fps or above anyway, In fact I rarely even have an FPS monitor running so I wouldn't know half the time what it is anyway.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It interesting to see the improvements. I just want to know what cpu was used, it's not a fair representation if they used an underclocked i7. Yes they have proven it makes a difference, but the real test is a stock i7 with 290x running mantle vs. directx.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

and this is another game that doesnt take much advantage of mantle AT ALL, until a huge RTS comes out using mantle i wont bother with benchmarks, since unless the game ACTUALLY uses 10k+ drawcalls Mantle wont make a big difference to mid to high end users (DirectX can do about 6-7k, Mantle, last i heard months ago it did 100k)

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

-snip-

memes-4-276162_Papel-de-Parede-Meme-Cere

Dat Minimum FPS though...

Seriously. That is so Quality of Life improving that it's nuts. I assume this has to do with Multi-core optimization specifically.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Well this is disappointing to me. My hope was Mantle helping more with higher resolutions. Well DX12 here I come.

Isn't dx12 rumored to pretty much be mantle?

Gotta love some comments here :)

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

It does, however mainly with lower end CPU's like APU's or dualcores(or older quads), Mantle/Any Low Level API (DX12) should be able to allow the GPU to power through higher resolutions that were otherwise non-playable with a dualcore powering a beast GPU with non-low level drivers.

DX12's low level access is most likely the exact same thing as Mantle (finished however :P), just enabled for every GPU thats all... not just AMD.

Gotta love it, when its here!

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

and this is another game that doesnt take much advantage of mantle AT ALL, until a huge RTS comes out using mantle i wont bother with benchmarks, since unless the game ACTUALLY uses 10k+ drawcalls Mantle wont make a big difference to mid to high end users (DirectX can do about 6-7k, Mantle, last i heard months ago it did 100k)

if they made a game that actually did 100k draw calls then it'd only be playable with cards able to run mantle...  thats a very small number of PC gamers considering only the latest gen AMD cards run mantle (and I wanna say not all of them but I'm not sure)...  I don't see anyone making a 100k draw call game til all cards are able to run mantle or dx12 if it does something similar to mantle...

I haven't heard really any rumors about DX12 but if that is true than I guess there is nothing to look forward to sadly.

Isn't dx12 rumored to pretty much be mantle?

I haven't heard really any rumors about DX12 but if that is true than I guess there is nothing to look forward to sadly.