Mantle API Vs. DirectX Thief Benchmarks

Mr.Duck

I know it's only 720p, but is Mantle really expected to give such insane gains at those lower resolutions? O_o

Now waiting for the screenshot comparison like what BF4 did. >.<

That was a bug on BF4's side. The developer said so. I doubt it will happen again.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

mantle at a game no one cares about,..,

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

That was a bug on BF4's side. The developer said so. I doubt it will happen again.

I understand it was, though has it been fix and benchmarked again?

I understand it was, though has it been fix and benchmarked again?

It was fixed in the Feb 25th update. Assuming the sky fog is what caused it.

I still get the same FPS I did with the washed out color, so I guess that didn't matter at all to FPS. 

Which, based on how those patch notes describe it, it was just the fog being too bright making it more noticeable and diluting the other colors. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

If DirectX 12 comes out with a low-level api, then mantle won't matter anyway. If Microsoft screw PC over again and don't release a low-level api, then hopefully mantle does become more widespread.

Rig - Processor: Intel core i5 3570k @4.3GHz, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX, GPU: XFX HD 7950 DD, with a Kraken G10 and Kraken X40, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 4x4GB, HDD: Seagate 1.5TB, Cooler: Xigmatek Prime SD1484, Case: Phantom 530

Peripherals - Monitor: Acer 24-inch 1920x1080, Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X4, Mouse: Logitech G9x, Headphones: Turtle Beach PX21, Mousepad: Steelseries QCK

Personally, I think they are running the benchmarks wrong, Mantle it's not going to show big performance improvements on the GPU side, but on the CPU side. I want benchmarkers to try  using different CPUs and GPUs combinations, We want to see how much a Athlon X4 750k with a R7 260X can gain in performance. I want to see different CPUs both high end and low end combined with low end and high end GPUs.

Hold on, in the source it says 'The exact test rig was not mentioned though I am pretty sure it was a i7-4770K (downclocked)'

Who downclocks a CPU? Why would you ever do it, a lot of people overclock, so they should have tried that instead.

Underclocking the CPU means that this isn't 'real world' performance, so these benchmarks don't really mean anything.

Sadly, this happens with a few mantle benchmarks. They always do something weird that isn't what normal people do. For example, benchmarking a 780 Ti vs a R9 290x, and using a low end APU. Obviously in this case mantle will win, but in a real world test, with i7 4770k's overclocked and the GPU's overclocked, mantle doesn't really do much. The 780 Ti still wins.

Rig - Processor: Intel core i5 3570k @4.3GHz, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX, GPU: XFX HD 7950 DD, with a Kraken G10 and Kraken X40, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 4x4GB, HDD: Seagate 1.5TB, Cooler: Xigmatek Prime SD1484, Case: Phantom 530

Peripherals - Monitor: Acer 24-inch 1920x1080, Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X4, Mouse: Logitech G9x, Headphones: Turtle Beach PX21, Mousepad: Steelseries QCK

270x did better on directx than mantle at 1080p...

but these results are useless without know which cpu was used and at what clock speeds... the purpose of mantle is to remove the cpu bottleneck, so whats the point of posting results without telling use which cpu is used?  + what @Mincygrape said about the cpu.  if it is indeed a downclocked HT disabled i7 then it further takes away from the validity of this test

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Hold on, in the source it says 'The exact test rig was not mentioned though I am pretty sure it was a i7-4770K (downclocked)'

Who downclocks a CPU? Why would you ever do it, a lot of people overclock, so they should have tried that instead.

Underclocking the CPU means that this isn't 'real world' performance, so these benchmarks don't really mean anything.

Sadly, this happens with a few mantle benchmarks. They always do something weird that isn't what normal people do. For example, benchmarking a 780 Ti vs a R9 290x, and using a low end APU. Obviously in this case mantle will win, but in a real world test, with i7 4770k's overclocked and the GPU's overclocked, mantle doesn't really do much. The 780 Ti still wins.

*facepalm*

The point of Mantle is to remove the CPU bottleneck. That's it. That's all it does to improve performance. Therefore, you have to create a CPU bottleneck to show the improvement Mantle offers. 

While I do agree no one is going to get a 290X/780 TI with an APU, that is to simulate any build a person has where they have a strong GPU and weak CPU. Because they can't test every single CPU/GPU combination, so they choose the strongest GPUs with a weaker CPU and just roll with it. 

Thus, downclocking the 4770k. Making it a weaker CPU.

270x did better on directx than mantle at 1080p...

but these results are useless without know which cpu was used and at what clock speeds... the purpose of mantle is to remove the cpu bottleneck, so whats the point of posting results without telling use which cpu is used?  + what @Mincygrape said about the cpu.  if it is indeed a downclocked HT disabled i7 then it further takes away from the validity of this test

Yes. Because there isn't a CPU bottleneck for the 260X and 270X. There won't be a difference without a CPU bottleneck.

That's why you get diminishing returns as the resolution goes up. Because the bottleneck becomes the GPU and Mantle does nothing for that.

† Christian Member †

I figured it out... they invented mantle so that coin miners can game on their sempron cpu's

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

It was fixed in the Feb 25th update. Assuming the sky fog is what caused it.

I still get the same FPS I did with the washed out color, so I guess that didn't matter at all to FPS. 

Which, based on how those patch notes describe it, it was just the fog being too bright making it more noticeable and diluting the other colors. 

Good to hear. Didn't really follow what happened after that problem. Still haven't tried BF4 myself let alone Mantle.

Mantle does not like 1080p and beyond

than they shouldnt have promised for %30+ FPS İmprovment when 80% of the market uses 1080p and above

*facepalm*

The point of Mantle is to remove the CPU bottleneck. That's it. That's all it does to improve performance. Therefore, you have to create a CPU bottleneck to show the improvement Mantle offers. 

So how likely is it, that you have a crapy CPU toegether with an >500$ GPU :D ?

If they want to show performance, they should make real life examples and not some artifiical test scenarios making their software look good ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Personally, I think they are running the benchmarks wrong, Mantle it's not going to show big performance improvements on the GPU side, but on the CPU side. I want benchmarkers to try  using different CPUs and GPUs combinations, We want to see how much a Athlon X4 750k with a R7 260X can gain in performance. I want to see different CPUs both high end and low end combined with low end and high end GPUs.

exactly, because mantle is meant to remove that bottleneck. high end gpu with low end cpu, or other way around would be what i want to see aswell

mantle at a game no one cares about,..,

No one cares about? Are you serious?

Intel Core i5 4670K | Sapphire R9 290 | Define R4 | Gigabyte Z87X-D3H | 8Gb Ballistix | Corsair RM650 | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | Seagate Barracuda 1TB |

Would love to be the owner of the: nAMDvidia Titation 3000 ultra-xt Platinum Edition :D

So how likely is it, that you have a crapy CPU toegether with an >500$ GPU :D ?

If they want to show performance, they should make real life examples and not some artifiical test scenarios making their software look good ...

Fairly good, tbh. IMO at least.

Just wait til mass selling of AMD mining GPUs on ebay happens. Just wait.

† Christian Member †

My results (built in benchmark) Maxed settings & AA @ 1080p FX8320 @ 4ghz and r9 290 at stock clocks
DirectX: 
Low 27
Avg 41
High 71

Mantle:
Low 45
Avg 58
High 79

Bar Graph Concept for future benchmarks (color/professionalism may vary)

QVSTCBE.png

The increase in low fps is both impressive and important, and the jump from 41 average fps to 58 is a ~40% increase. The lowest fps on Mantle is higher than the avg fps on DX, can't see why people sould think mantle doesn't do anything...

If I were to show my high fps and only my high fps, as many other results do, the gain doesn't look very significant.

My results (built in benchmark) Maxed settings & AA @ 1080p FX8320 @ 4ghz and r9 290 at stock clocks

DirectX: 

Low 27

Avg 41

High 71

Mantle:

Lower 45

Avg 58

High 79

The increase in low fps is both impressive and important, and the jump from 41 average fps to 58 is a ~40% increase. Can't see why people sould think mantle doesn't do anything...

If I were to show my high fps and only my high fps, as many other results do, the gain doesn't look very significant.

I personally hate benchmarks that only show 1 of those FPS'. Most reviewers use Avg (even Linus). That is terrible to use because it basically tells you nothing about the experience in playing a game with that graphics card at those settings (whatever they may be).

They're all important for different reasons, but of them, AVG is the least important because it's the most deceitful.

† Christian Member †

DirectX: 

Low 27

Avg 41

High 71

Mantle:

Low 45

Avg 58

High 79

Bar Graph Concept for future benchmarks (color/professionalism may vary)

QVSTCBE.png

The increase in low fps is both impressive and important, and the jump from 41 average fps to 58 is a ~40% increase. The lowest fps on Mantle is higher than the avg fps on DX, can't see why people sould think mantle doesn't do anything...

I don't think anyone was saying mantle doesn't do anything, we were saying the test was useless cause it just had a guess at what the cpu was.  your test with just 1 card and cpu is much better cause it actually tells us the cpu used and clock speed.

I wonder what the results would be like with an OC'd i5 or i7...

No one cares about? Are you serious?

Dont feed the nVidia troll. In other news, wccftech isnt a source to be trusted. Other than masquerading factually inaccurate content as news, they dont really do any journalism themselves. They repost stuff from some shady corners of the internet. Fox News and The Onion have more newsworthiness than these guys. For some reason, the OP keeps using it. The original source, in german isnt a well known source either. I'll reserve judgement until someone with some real street cred benchmarks this. 

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green